Doug Fake announces a Williams title is coming from Intrada this year

filmmusic

Now the million dollar question is "Is this one the remaining two releases or is it another one?". Doug didn't mention Williams when he last made such an announcement and that was only a month or two ago. The plot thickens maybe!

Williams, JNH and Zimmer sounds like a really nice haul already.

I can't immediately think of where they'd go with JNH - Disney? M. Night? My personal #1 would be The Village.

In fact, once JPIII and Gladiator are handled, my grail list isn't really a grail list any more - more a 'lovely to have' list.

17 hours ago, pete said:

Now the million dollar question is "Is this one the remaining two releases or is it another one?". Doug didn't mention Williams when he last made such an announcement and that was only a month or two ago. The plot thickens maybe!

That wasn't Doug, that was Roger

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8996

Intrada has had some premiere Williams releases over the years, i.e. completely unreleased scores. Is it realistic to hope for, I wonder?

I don't think that which label is releasing an album has much to do with whether or not its for a score that had an OST album before or not

The titles that comes out are ones that:

-The elements are found

-Williams gives his OK

-A license is granted

Anything that meets those 3 criteria - whether the score had an OST album or not - could come from any label.

Yeah, but I think the "Williams gives his OK" bit has changed somewhat over the years. All the old Intrada and FSM JW premieres up until, let's say, the early 2010s,were presumably done without his consent, whereas now it's more difficult and supervised. I think I read something about that somewhere. 

Maybe it's Cinderella Liberty due to the recent use of Nice to be Around in the ATS and Vienna releases?

Other than that I'd like to see Witches of Eastwick or Patriot

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, but I think the "Williams gives his OK" bit has changed somewhat over the years. All the old Intrada and FSM JW premieres up until, let's say, the early 2010s,were presumably done without his consent, whereas now it's more difficult and supervised. I think I read something about that somewhere. 

Yea I don't think Williams approved any of those old FSM CDs (1998-2011).

No idea if he approved the Intrada Amazing Stories anthologies (2006-7), or How To Steal A Million / Bacherlor Flat (2008) >shrug<

Everything else Intrada did from him, he would have

He also likely wasn't asked to approve Kritzerland's Missouri Breaks (2013), Music Box Records' Fitzwilly (2013), Quartet's The Long Goodbye (2012), Heidi (2013), or Tom Sawyer (2015).

That Tom Sawyer release was presumably the last Williams score released by any label that he didn't approve

12 minutes ago, Romão said:

That's much more music for Nixon that I expected.

Yeah! Some are just atmospheric underscore, but there's some interesting material, too. Here's all the known cues that are completely unreleased:

1M6 They Want To Believe the President

1M7 It’s The Lie

3M1 Did I Approve

3M3 T.V. Debate

3M4 Election Results

3M5 I Hate Losing

4M1 Mother’s Faithful Dog

4M2 Sound Like Mother

4M4 Football In Whittier

4M4R Football To Campaigning

4M7ABC Early Days (Pat And Dick Theme) Alternate Version

4M8 I Want A Divorce

8M7 Talking With Lincoln

9M1 Harold’s Death

10M3 Meeting On The Potomac

12M2 Family Chat

12M5+6 It’s The Lie

13M4 Hoover’s Death And The Jones Ranch

17M4 Back To Life

21M1 Praying

12 minutes ago, Romão said:

And for Seven Years, since so much music in the OST unusued, there's probably even a greater amount of unreleased music

Interesting! I haven't seen the film in quite a long time, so I wasn't aware that was the case. Looks like it will need to be a 2-disc release, then.

13 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

All of those sound interesting though cinderella liberty never was mi cup of tea regarding williams scores.

Yes, mine too really. IIRC most (if not all) cues sound like source cues.

The only James Newton Howard release that I really would be interested in would be a proper release of Unbreakable.

One can dream.

1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:

Nixon 1:38 in film, 0:47 OST (51+ minutes unreleased)

The Patriot 1:32 in film, 1:13 OST (26+ minutes unreleased)

Seven Years in Tibet 1:20 in film, 1:06 OST (21+ minutes unreleased)

I would love any of these.

But The Patriot would be my favourite.

Unbreakable is the single M. Night collaboration I never 'got', film or score. There's something about the music that's very cold and outside of perhaps 10-15 minutes I can't get into it.

I single out The Village solely because its album is uncharacteristic for JNH in leaving out huge highlights. I think the rest of his M. Night albums are fine (I want Signs too, but that's more because I love the score, not a deficient album).

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

My opinion as well. 

The thing about The Patriot is not only the quantity of unreleased music but also the quality of it. There's simply too many great cues left off the OST. And that's not even counting alternates or unused stuff. Also, I do think this is a score that would really benefit of a chronological presentation.

But Nixon wouldn't be a bad choice either. I haven't seen the movie though, only say that based on the huge amount of unreleased music.

For me it is mainly the fact that this is one of those scores where I never got the OST. So, this would be a first time purchase for me. :)

How about Story Of A Woman. It might not make as big a splash in the soundtrack community as the more recent movies such as The Patriot, Seven Years In Tibet, Nixon or JFK (all of which I’d be happy to see expanded), but It’d be a treasure for sure.

6 minutes ago, rough cut said:

How about Story Of A Woman. It might not make as big a splash in the soundtrack community as the more recent movies such as The Patriot, Seven Years In Tibet, Nixon or JFK (all of which I’d be happy to see expanded), but It’d be a treasure for sure.

Not sure we'll see a release of that in Williams' lifetime, alas, since he's so adament about it not getting out. And then later on, it will be a question of negotiating with his estate. I hope I get to see it released in my lifetime, at least.

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

Not sure we'll see a release of that in Williams' lifetime, alas, since he's so adament about it not getting out. And then later on, it will be a question of negotiating with his estate. I hope I get to see it released in my lifetime, at least.

Why Williams is so resistant with the idea of releasing Story of a Woman? Does he feel embarrassed by his work on the movie? I never heard this score nor seen the movie so I can't judge, but I don't think he has any reason to feel ashamed of it... does he?

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Why Williams is so resistant with the idea of releasing Story of a Woman? Does he feel embarrassed by his work on the movie? I never heard this score nor seen the movie so I can't judge, but I don't think he has any reason to feel ashamed of it... does he?

Nobody knows at this point, one can only speculate. My theory is that he's not very proud of the less-than-stellar movie (an assessment that would be fair), and so doesn't want it out. But he's probably forgotten how great the music he wrote actually was.

15 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Yes, mine too really. IIRC most (if not all) cues sound like source cues.

Which makes it funny williams seems to be fond of that score and yet he prevents release of source cues from other scores….

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

My opinion as well. 

The thing about The Patriot is not only the quantity of unreleased music but also the quality of it. There's simply too many great cues left off the OST. And that's not even counting alternates or unused stuff. Also, I do think this is a score that would really benefit of a chronological presentation.

But Nixon wouldn't be a bad choice either. I haven't seen the movie though, only say that based on the huge amount of unreleased music.

Yes, I get the feeling that this will be one of several scores that take on a totally new identity when everything's where it should be.

I've always loved the concert piece, Susan Speaks and overall around 40 minutes of the OST. The thematic material is excellent, and one theme I particularly like apparently has bigger unreleased statments. I've seen a few clips from the film and it immediately struck me as a score hacked up in the film.

So apart from The Terminal, I'd easily embrace this one as the next desired.

3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Which makes it funny williams seems to be fond of that score and yet he prevents release of source cues from other scores….

or other scores themselves! (eg. Story of a woman)

I honestly think that the more MM goes through JW's catalog and presents him with these great presentations of his work, and he hears all the feedback about how well they are selling and how much his fans like them, he'll get more and more open to having Mike work on his older scores.  I'm not sure he'll ever change his mind on source music though, lol  

What bums me out more are the scores JW's done for which it seems the original scoring elements no longer exist on this earth.  Azkaban, Return of the Jedi's album day, ET's album day, Jaws' album session, Images, Fiddler on the Roof, Jane Eyre, The Reivers, Daddy's Gone A-Hunting, Heidi, The Plainsman, Screaming Woman....

Such a bummer to think those tapes existed for some limited amount of time, then just went missing or got destroyed.  Well, I guess you never know what will turn up in unusual spots

17 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Interestingly, no-one has mentioned SLEEPERS.

What have you got against CINDERELLA LIBERTY? What? What?!

Don't wait for the translation, answer me, now!

Sleepers would be a dream expansion

I also don't get the reservations some have with Cinderella Liberty. It's a lovely and rather unique score in Williams' canon

4 hours ago, Romão said:

I also don't get the reservations some have with Cinderella Liberty. It's a lovely and rather unique score in Williams' canon

Your officially the only JWfan that likes it that much!

Does anyone know for sure - and is able to say - if this is one of the last two of the five upcoming releases mentioned last year? I would assume so, but Roger not mentioning Williams in his earlier list of 2023 releases suggests to me he wasn't sure if a Williams was forthcoming?