John Williams to conduct at the 2023 Seiji Ozawa Matsumoto Festival in Matsumoto, Japan (Sept. 2, 2023)

BuzzLightyear

34 minutes ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

If you can get away with it and she doesn't go I will absolutely take you up on that pretty please!!! I will ask that what that means though, because it says you have to submit an "application" for the lottery which means probably providing an address in Japan. 

I'll try! My friend who will try get the tickets lives in Tokyo, so there's a Japanes address, it's just not mine. Complicated!  I'll ask her to explore the site, and maybe call. And the friend I might go with lives in Seoul. And she's moving apartments the week before, so she's not sure if she'll go.

As a potential extra hurdle, a lot of Japanese websites don't accept foreign-issued credit cards. The OMF website doesn't specify whether this is the case here, and you can pay in-person at 7-Eleven between 2023-05-31 and 2023-06-10 if you're in the country at that time.

On 30/04/2023 at 12:53 AM, crumbs said:

So what, the website will restrict sales only to people living in Japan? How the heck are they going to enforce that in an age of VPNs?

How does this work exactly? The conditions on the page seem highly convoluted.

So even if you purchase a ticket (which you can only do in Japan?!), it only gives you entry to a "raffle" for attendance on a particular day, of which JW's only performing on one? What a bizarre, idiotic process.

The raffle/lottery is for whether you're able to buy a ticket for the Orchestra Concert Program B on 2023-09-02 in Matsumoto - you won't end up with Program A (2023-08-25, 2023-08-27) tickets.

Ticket information for the Deutsche Grammophon concert in Tokyo hasn't been released yet. Unfortunately it will probably be another lottery given how in-demand seats will be.

On 01/05/2023 at 3:53 PM, Quppa said:

The raffle/lottery is for whether you're able to buy a ticket for the Orchestra Concert Program B on 2023-09-02 in Matsumoto - you won't end up with Program A (2023-08-25, 2023-08-27) tickets.

Ticket information for the Deutsche Grammophon concert in Tokyo hasn't been released yet. Unfortunately it will probably be another lottery given how in-demand seats will be.

Does registering for the lottery require a Japanese address and do you need to be a citizen of Japan to enter?

And I thought the ticketing situation for Milan was a mess!

There's no mention of Japanese citizenship. It just looks like it's much easer for people living in Japan - you can pay at a convenience store, for instance That's great if you're there! I paid for Steve Vai concert that way. Super easy! 

The catch seems to be if someone in Japan can buy a ticket for someone who plans to visit Japan, ie. me. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Does registering for the lottery require a Japanese address and do you need to be a citizen of Japan to enter?

The street address shouldn't matter for an online application/purchase. As @pete notes, the problem will be in paying for the tickets if you don't have a Japanese credit card (though the OMF might surprise us and allow foreign-issued cards) and can't visit the country in early June to pay in-person.

1 hour ago, Quppa said:

The street address shouldn't matter for an online application/purchase. As @pete notes, the problem will be in paying for the tickets if you don't have a Japanese credit card (though the OMF might surprise us and allow foreign-issued cards) and can't visit the country in early June to pay in-person.

And if we can pay online (say, using PayPal), are tickets distributed electronically? Or do they need to be collected in-person in Japan somewhere?

A little room for speculation...

Fawkes or Nimbus?

Adventures on Earth or Flying Theme?

The Rebellion is Reborn or March of the Resistance?

March of The Resistance or March of Resistance?

Yoda's Theme and/or Imperial March?

21 hours ago, crumbs said:

And if we can pay online (say, using PayPal), are tickets distributed electronically? Or do they need to be collected in-person in Japan somewhere?

The website lists 7-Eleven as the collection point.

6 hours ago, AOP said:

Further info (including the set list) in English/Japanese just posted here:

https://www.ozawa-festival.com/asset/img/2023/2023OMF_LeafletFinal.pdf

For the program A concert (a few days before the Williams concert), Deneve will be conducting JW’s Concerto for Tuba and Orchestra!

Cool - Chamber Concert II on 2023-08-29 will feature a 'John Williams Special Selection' performed by the SKO Brass Ensemble, too.

30 minutes ago, Quppa said:

The website lists 7-Eleven as the collection point.

...seriously? So the tickets won't even be distributed electronically? This is almost farcical.

12 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

I shall apply for a job in Japan, open a Japanese bank account, get divorced, marry a Japanese - all before May 12...to learn that Stephane Denève is the next Dirk Brossé...lol

I know you're joking but it highlights the silliness of going to this much effort to secure tickets for a concert which, potentially, might not go ahead.

It wasn't until I saw JW walk out on that stage in Milan that I believed the concert was happening.

The ticket situation for the Matsumoto concert for people outside Japan does not look good unfortunately…

To enter the lottery (which is from May 12-18), it seems you need to first register at the OMF website here: https://piagettii.s2.e-get.jp/web5ap05q/pe/d.act?D=s&R=/index.act&s.nonce=8BD6A6F80BE147608E2473F0A67A8186

To register at the OMF website, not only is everything in Japanese, but you can only enter an address in Japan (if someone has contacted the OMF site admin to ask if non-Japanese addresses are allowed, please do share!)

Luckily for me, I’m based in Japan so can register and enter the lottery.

In my 20 years living in Japan and seeing 2 or 3 film music-related concerts a year, this is the first time I’ve had to get tickets through a lottery system. That probably means the chances of winning will be pretty slim…

Still, people that enter the lottery can apply for a max 2 tickets. If my Tokyo-based JW fan friends decide not to go for this concert (and my wife continues to show no interest in seeing JW in concert!), I’d gladly offer a space to anyone serious about coming to Japan to see this concert (and provided I actually win the lottery!). 

I actually think it will be easier (i.e. less than impossible!) to get tickets for the Tokyo gala concert, but Japanese ticketing websites are notorious for crashing when ticket sales open… I experienced this a few months ago when buying tickets to see Alan Menken in concert. I had tickets for the Tokyo concert in my cart, but the site repeatedly crashed when I went to checkout… the concert ended up selling out in 5 mins, but I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the Osaka concert through another device I had open at the same time. 

2 minutes ago, AOP said:

The ticket situation for the Matsumoto concert for people outside Japan does not look good unfortunately…

To enter the lottery (which is from May 12-18), it seems you need to first register at the OMF website here: https://piagettii.s2.e-get.jp/web5ap05q/pe/d.act?D=s&R=/index.act&s.nonce=8BD6A6F80BE147608E2473F0A67A8186

To register at the OMF website, not only is everything in Japanese, but you can only enter an address in Japan (if someone has contacted the OMF site admin to ask if non-Japanese addresses are allowed, please do share!)

Luckily for me, I’m based in Japan so can register and enter the lottery.

In my 20 years living in Japan and seeing 2 or 3 film music-related concerts a year, this is the first time I’ve had to get tickets through a lottery system. That probably means the chances of winning will be pretty slim…

Still, people that enter the lottery can apply for a max 2 tickets. If my Tokyo-based JW fan friends decide not to go for this concert (and my wife continues to show no interest in seeing JW in concert!), I’d gladly offer a space to anyone serious about coming to Japan to see this concert (and provided I actually win the lottery!). 

I actually think it will be easier (i.e. less than impossible!) to get tickets for the Tokyo gala concert, but Japanese ticketing websites are notorious for crashing when ticket sales open… I experienced this a few months ago when buying tickets to see Alan Menken in concert. I had tickets for the Tokyo concert in my cart, but the site repeatedly crashed when I went to checkout… the concert ended up selling out in 5 mins, but I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the Osaka concert through another device I had open at the same time. 

May the Twelfth be with you!

Did someone add the September 2 concert to the thread title?  We already have a thread for that concert, wasn't this thread for the Sep 5 concert?

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35222-john-williams-to-conduct-at-the-2023-seiji-ozawa-matsumoto-festival-in-japan/

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

Did someone add the September 2 concert to the thread title?  We already have a thread for that concert, wasn't this thread for the Sep 5 concert?

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35222-john-williams-to-conduct-at-the-2023-seiji-ozawa-matsumoto-festival-in-japan/

This is where the divergence started...the news about the Matsumoto Raffle (relating to Sep 2):

My bad! I was unaware of the other thread so I’ll keep the updates in their respective threads going forward 👍🏻

Will Fabelmans join Rise of Skywalker as major works he never conducts for concerts?

He prefers to conduct "Throne Room" instead. His programs become a bit too identical imo. So many great compositons to choose from, yet he always performs the same 20 titles. 

Denève is conducting the first 4 things, Williams is conducting the next 4 things (and unlisted encores, presumably)

Wow, "Three Million Light Years From Home"!  Has that album version ever been played live?  Even the live score would have performed "Far From Home/E.T. Alone."  And there are differences, right?

I love the idea of E.T. getting the suite treatment.  "Adventures on Earth" is sublime, but this strikes a blow for variety.  Even the Star Wars suite has been switched up a bit of late, with "Obi-Wan" in Chicago and "Solo" at the Hollywood Bowl a few years back, IIRC.

But yes, I've got a fever, and the only thing that can make it fall is to hear Skywalker Rise.

16 hours ago, crumbs said:

...seriously? So the tickets won't even be distributed electronically? This is almost farcical.

It's a bit odd, since the other concerts have an e-ticket option. That said, there are 7-Eleven stores on just about every street corner in metro areas, and you can pick the tickets up right up until the day of the concert.

The English page describing the lottery system has been fixed.

6 hours ago, igger6 said:

Wow, "Three Million Light Years From Home"!  Has that album version ever been played live?  Even the live score would have performed "Far From Home/E.T. Alone."  And there are differences, right?

I love the idea of E.T. getting the suite treatment.  "Adventures on Earth" is sublime, but this strikes a blow for variety.  Even the Star Wars suite has been switched up a bit of late, with "Obi-Wan" in Chicago and "Solo" at the Hollywood Bowl a few years back, IIRC.

But yes, I've got a fever, and the only thing that can make it fall is to hear Skywalker Rise.

Same here. I've never seen a live performance of this. So it is the album version here but nevertheless I find this a nice change from the usual 'Adventures on Earth' The performance [on the posted video] is bit tad slower but still works fine. I hope they record the whole thing when it happens.

'Solo' is by far my favorite addendum in the Star Wars tapestry outside the 9 films.

7 hours ago, BB-8 said:

These concerts certainly feel like "Three Million Light Years From Home".

It's a programming pun!  Let's hope this continues.  If he really is retired from film scoring now, watch for lots of performances of "Jim's New Life" and "Linus's New Life" in the next year.

On 03/05/2023 at 9:54 PM, Muad'Dib said:

Rebellion is Reborn? Huh, unusual choice.

It was in the Vienna I programme. One of the highlights from that concert, actually.

@pete, I signed up for the lottery too! 

@crumbs, if my understanding of the system is correct (if not, it would seem I screwed up my chances!), this is how it works:

You first need to make an account at the OMF website. To do that, you need a Japanese address (and be able to enter the info in Japanese) so I imagine that would rule out everyone outside Japan unless they are making exceptions or have a friend in Japan doing this on their behalf.

Once your account is setup, you enter the lottery through that account. 

You get 3 ticket preferences and can choose max 2 tickets for each preference - I selected one ticket in each tier (i.e. most expensive, 2nd most expensive, etc) for each preference. I figured I’d have more chance to win if I did it this way.

After that step, you have to select how you will pay - at Seven Eleven convenience store or by credit card. I chose credit card and had to enter my cc details immediately after that despite not knowing if I’ll win or not. I guess this is to protect themselves from people who win the lottery but don’t come through with payment.

And that’s pretty much it.

Lottery results will be announced at the end of this month. Fingers crossed!

Yeah, there are too many hurdles, both in terms of price for travel, and acquisition of tickets. I'll have to let the fans in Japan enjoy the concert this time.

13 minutes ago, Biodome said:

Yeah, there are too many hurdles, both in terms of price for travel, and acquisition of tickets. I'll have to let the fans in Japan enjoy the concert this time.

Agreed. Would've loved to make my first visit to Japan for this but they seem determined to prevent any non-Japanese residents from buying tickets.

Super disappointing because it's only a 10 hour flight from here, and half the distance I traveled to reach Milan.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not heard yet from my friend whose wife applied on my behalf. Don't want to bother him, so still playing the waiting game!