John Williams to conduct at the 2023 Seiji Ozawa Matsumoto Festival in Matsumoto, Japan (Sept. 2, 2023)

BuzzLightyear

Fascinating - Matsumoto is (comparatively) in the middle of nowhere, and it might be a bit sweaty in September. It would be a shame if this is the only concert he does while he's in the country.

All the same, I'll be there if I can score tickets.

30 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

This story springs to mind:

One thing is already certain: the Japanese will produce a fine recording in all possible formats.

Whoa! I had no idea that Ozawa was in such a poor shape (sorry if this is old news to everyone else, but I clearly haven't been keeping up to date on his life)! Moving video, especially at the end.

5 minutes ago, Quppa said:

It would be a shame if this is the only concert he does while he's in the country.

Oh man yea, what if more announcements are coming...

Just now, Fabulin said:

Not that I doubt he can do it unaided, but I hope he is at least going to use an airplane!

Well he's not going to travel by jetski! 

Just now, BB-8 said:

Looks like he's close to doing a concert per month?

What might happen in October, November and December 2023?

Well, he'll probably do the Hollywood Bowl sometime in September too?  Just not the traditional Labor Day weekend because of this concert being then

7 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

What might happen in October, November and December 2023?

More Indy 5 revisions. 

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

This is only his second time conducting in Asia, yeah?

And the previous time was in Japan as well, though that was a tour with the BSO? I wonder if there's another orchestra he's been invited to conduct in Tokyo...

You'd have to think the suite from Memoirs of a Geisha would be a shoe-in for these concerts. 

16 minutes ago, crumbs said:

This is only his second time conducting in Asia, yeah?

And the previous time was in Japan as well, though that was a tour with the BSO? I wonder if there's another orchestra he's been invited to conduct in Tokyo...

He has toured Japan with the Pops in 1987, 1990 and 1993. So he knows the country quite good.

2 hours ago, pete said:

Oh September 2 is a Saturday, and I'm not too far away in Seoul. No idea how hard tickets will be to get, but I'll try! and I'm not working the week before. 

I'm in Beijing- Asian fan club meet up in Japan

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

ASM alluded to him one day conducting in the "far east"

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Seven Years in Tibet LTP in China!  :stir:

I think it is fabulous that he is returning to Japan again. Their were fantastic concerts done with the BSO in the early 90's and I remember fondly the JFK suite he premiered there. Some wonderful footages on YouTube exist. 

What makes me more eager is that if the concerts are being recorded  then a chance would exist to get the recordings out on DG Japan label in all formats CD, Vinyl, Blu ray & SACD!  

And yeah..bring on  ANGELA'S ASHES, SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET and MEMOIRES OF A GEISHA!

On 8/2/2023 at 6:04 AM, Amer said:

I think it is fabulous that he is returning to Japan again. Their were fantastic concerts done with the BSO in the early 90's and I remember fondly the JFK suite he premiered there. Some wonderful footages on YouTube exist. 

What makes me more eager is that if the concerts are being recorded  then a chance would exist to get the recordings out on DG Japan label in all formats CD, Vinyl, Blu ray & SACD!  

And yeah..bring on  ANGELA'S ASHES, SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET and MEMOIRES OF A GEISHA!

Angelas Ashes wow! That would be a dream!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Seeing this post again i thought of this concert. I really wish there was a good copy of it someplace, its really excellent

Btw, just saw the page for Saito Kinen updated. John's date is by lottery. :blink: gutted, with my like i won't get it.

https://www.ozawa-festival.com/en/tickets/

9 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Seeing this post again i thought of this concert. I really wish there was a good copy of it someplace, its really excellent

Btw, just saw the page for Saito Kinen updated. John's date is by lottery. :blink: gutted, with my like i won't get it.

https://www.ozawa-festival.com/en/tickets/

Milano ticketting was also more or less a lottery.

However, this time there is an additional hurdle:

"Tickets sold only in Japan."

Sad Tantrum GIF by Travis

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

"Tickets sold only in Japan."

So what, the website will restrict sales only to people living in Japan? How the heck are they going to enforce that in an age of VPNs?

10 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

How does this work exactly? The conditions on the page seem highly convoluted.

So even if you purchase a ticket (which you can only do in Japan?!), it only gives you entry to a "raffle" for attendance on a particular day, of which JW's only performing on one? What a bizarre, idiotic process.

I was psyching myself up for my first trip to Japan but this sounds like way too much work. Not to mention the high cost for potentially zero reward, if you don't even get entry to JW's concert. I note the tickets are non-refundable and cannot be transferred under any circumstances.

Wow, I have a friend in Japan who was going to try get tickets the morning they were due to go on sale - I live in nearby Seoul.  This cannot be transfered is a worry. I hope my friend can buy tickets in my name? I trust her with my credit card details.

Great, the click for more details link is currently dead.  https://www.ozawa-festival.com/en/tickets/programs/2023/program-b.html

Argh... the Nihon-go page works:

https://www.ozawa-festival.com/programs/2023/program-b.html

You can apply for a max of two tickets. Well, I'll be doing that - or at least my friend will. If successful and we can jump through all the hoops, one will be for my lady friend if she can go. If not, it's for someone here. I assume both tickets will be in the same name? 

I can be in Japan for the Saturday concert, but not the Tuesday Tokyo concert. Drats... but a little hope against hope.

1 hour ago, pete said:

Wow, I have a friend in Japan who was going to try get tickets the morning they were due to go on sale - I live in nearby Seoul.  This cannot be transfered is a worry. I hope my friend can buy tickets in my name? I trust her with my credit card details.

Great, the click for more details link is currently dead.  https://www.ozawa-festival.com/en/tickets/programs/2023/program-b.html

Argh... the Nihon-go page works:

https://www.ozawa-festival.com/programs/2023/program-b.html

You can apply for a max of two tickets. Well, I'll be doing that - or at least my friend will. If successful and we can jump through all the hoops, one will be for my lady friend if she can go. If not, it's for someone here. I assume both tickets will be in the same name? 

I can be in Japan for the Saturday concert, but not the Tuesday Tokyo concert. Drats... but a little hope against hope.

If you can get away with it and she doesn't go I will absolutely take you up on that pretty please!!! I will ask that what that means though, because it says you have to submit an "application" for the lottery which means probably providing an address in Japan.