Gordy Haab & Stephen Barton's STAR WARS JEDI: SURVIVOR (2023)

Manakin Skywalker

I'm not terribly familiar with much of his work but I gave the Battlefront (2015) gamerip a chance a while back and I really didn't like it. It sounded like he was told to write a best of highlights compilation for the original trilogy but without actually quoting any of the themes. I don't see why I'd ever listen to that again when I could just listen to the real music instead.

Idk if Battlefront II or Jedi Fallen Order are any better - are they in that same style?

34 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

I'm not terribly familiar with much of his work but I gave the Battlefront (2015) gamerip a chance a while back and I really didn't like it. It sounded like he was told to write a best of highlights compilation for the original trilogy but without actually quoting any of the themes. I don't see why I'd ever listen to that again when I could just listen to the real music instead.

Idk if Battlefront II or Jedi Fallen Order are any better - are they in that same style?

Jedi Fallen Order is in the traditional Star Wars orchestral style but far more resplendent in memorable new themes and variety of scoring, I think in part due to Stephen Barton. It’s an excellent Star Wars score, and unlike Battlefront it’s all original music that’s scored in a more movie-like structure

The music that plays in the Fortress Inquisitorius is one of my favourite Star Wars tracks of all time: 

1 hour ago, enderdrag64 said:

Alot of that is because it actually segues right into the old music....

Yes, that was definitely the entire premise with the first Battlefront. Gordy's music was meant to be combined with music from the original trilogy. Basically he was creating "extensions" of classic pieces for gameplay. Battlefront 2 was fleshed out quite a bit more, especially since it had a campaign mode. Fallen Order is on a completely other level.

• 2 months later...

This game is literally the only upcoming Star Wars production I'm looking forward to*. Unfortunately, it'll have to wait until I have enough money to buy a PS5 :sarcasm:

*James Mangold's movie seems good, though I need more details before boarding the hype train.

...But someone on Reddit told me last year that I was wrong to assume that this game's soundtrack would sound more like classic JW Star Wars than the Obi-Wan Kenobi soundtrack! Lol

EDIT: Source music album dropping this week too! Looks like there's an instrumental version of one of them in the main OST album.

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/sounds-from-the-galactic-skylanes-original-music-from/1683037298

WALT DISNEY RECORDS RELEASES TWO STAR WARS: JEDI SURVIVOR ALBUMS TODAY

STAR WARS: JEDI SURVIVOR 
 ORIGINAL VIDEO GAME SOUNDTRACK SCORE 
COMPOSED BY STEPHEN BARTON & GORDY HAAB

AND

SOUNDS FROM THE GALACTIC SKYLANES FEATURING
JOYWAVE, THE HU, TATRAN, ALTIN GÜN & KAELIN ELLIS

Available today, Walt Disney Records releases the Star Wars™: Jedi Survivor Original Video Game Soundtrack, featuring score by composers Stephen Barton and Gordy Haab.  Sounds from the Galactic Skylanes features music from in-game characters, including:

• Joywave as "Yubnib Zekk and the Main Characters"
  • The Hu as "The Agasar" 
  • TATRAN as "NAAARTAAAT" 
  • Altın Gün as "Altin Lazer Blaster" 
  • Kaelin Ellis as "Mister Mockwell" 

Both albums released today are the audio companions to Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, a third person galaxy-spanning action-adventure game from Respawn Entertainment, developed in collaboration with Lucasfilm Games.

The story of Cal Kestis continues.  This narratively-driven, single player title picks up five years after the events of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and follows Cal’s increasingly desperate fight as the galaxy descends further into darkness. 

Commenting on their score, composers Stephen Barton and Gordy Haab said, “It is our absolute honor to creatively reunite with each other, as well as with our friends at Respawn, EA, Lucasfilm and Disney, to bring you the music for the second installment of the "Star Wars Jedi" series. This music is the culmination of our shared passion for musical experimentation and growth, combined with a mutual love for one of the greatest stories ever told; Star Wars! It represents the extraordinarily hard work of an incredible team of more than one hundred London orchestral musicians at Abbey Road and Air Studios, fifty singers, a world-class recording crew, and the best production team in the business. Together, we have composed and recorded over eight hours of brand-new, unique music for the "Star Wars Jedi" series, almost four of which are featured on the original score soundtrack album. Alongside this album, we are also thrilled to present a carefully curated Cantina album; really the first of its kind, adding the diverse talents of some amazing bands to the Star Wars universe. We sincerely hope you enjoy this epic new musical chapter in the story of Cal Kestis, BD-1, Merrin, Greez, and Cere.

Steve Schnur, Electronic Arts' President of Music said, “Because it’s perhaps the most iconic entertainment franchise of our time, crafting music for a new Star Wars title can be one of the greatest challenges in any composer’s career.  With Jedi Survivor, Gordy Haab and Stephen Barton have now created an epic score that takes the adventure and grandeur of the Star Wars galaxy to extraordinary new realms. Sounds from the Galactic Skylanes is not only the first-ever album of original songs from a Star Wars title but one of our most exciting projects to date. These 15 songs have been exclusively written and recorded by a select group of breakthrough artists for an album of music that is decidedly Mos Eisley Cantina by way of Coachella. Both projects stand proudly on their own within the classic canon of Star Wars music.”

I cannot think of a compelling reason to have 2 different threads for the same brand new score.  Can you?

24 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If I was angry, that's not what I'd have written. :lol:

But that would have been against the rules!

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

WALT DISNEY RECORDS RELEASES TWO STAR WARS: JEDI SURVIVOR ALBUMS TODAY

STAR WARS: JEDI SURVIVOR 
 ORIGINAL VIDEO GAME SOUNDTRACK SCORE 
COMPOSED BY STEPHEN BARTON & GORDY HAAB

AND

SOUNDS FROM THE GALACTIC SKYLANES FEATURING
JOYWAVE, THE HU, TATRAN, ALTIN GÜN & KAELIN ELLIS

Available today, Walt Disney Records releases the Star Wars™: Jedi Survivor Original Video Game Soundtrack, featuring score by composers Stephen Barton and Gordy Haab.  Sounds from the Galactic Skylanes features music from in-game characters, including:

• Joywave as "Yubnib Zekk and the Main Characters"
  • The Hu as "The Agasar" 
  • TATRAN as "NAAARTAAAT" 
  • Altın Gün as "Altin Lazer Blaster" 
  • Kaelin Ellis as "Mister Mockwell" 

Both albums released today are the audio companions to Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, a third person galaxy-spanning action-adventure game from Respawn Entertainment, developed in collaboration with Lucasfilm Games.

The story of Cal Kestis continues.  This narratively-driven, single player title picks up five years after the events of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and follows Cal’s increasingly desperate fight as the galaxy descends further into darkness. 

Commenting on their score, composers Stephen Barton and Gordy Haab said, “It is our absolute honor to creatively reunite with each other, as well as with our friends at Respawn, EA, Lucasfilm and Disney, to bring you the music for the second installment of the "Star Wars Jedi" series. This music is the culmination of our shared passion for musical experimentation and growth, combined with a mutual love for one of the greatest stories ever told; Star Wars! It represents the extraordinarily hard work of an incredible team of more than one hundred London orchestral musicians at Abbey Road and Air Studios, fifty singers, a world-class recording crew, and the best production team in the business. Together, we have composed and recorded over eight hours of brand-new, unique music for the "Star Wars Jedi" series, almost four of which are featured on the original score soundtrack album. Alongside this album, we are also thrilled to present a carefully curated Cantina album; really the first of its kind, adding the diverse talents of some amazing bands to the Star Wars universe. We sincerely hope you enjoy this epic new musical chapter in the story of Cal Kestis, BD-1, Merrin, Greez, and Cere.

Steve Schnur, Electronic Arts' President of Music said, “Because it’s perhaps the most iconic entertainment franchise of our time, crafting music for a new Star Wars title can be one of the greatest challenges in any composer’s career.  With Jedi Survivor, Gordy Haab and Stephen Barton have now created an epic score that takes the adventure and grandeur of the Star Wars galaxy to extraordinary new realms. Sounds from the Galactic Skylanes is not only the first-ever album of original songs from a Star Wars title but one of our most exciting projects to date. These 15 songs have been exclusively written and recorded by a select group of breakthrough artists for an album of music that is decidedly Mos Eisley Cantina by way of Coachella. Both projects stand proudly on their own within the classic canon of Star Wars music.”

Where’d you find this press release?

I started playing the game last night. It feels like a more polished version of the first one. Not sure I would call this amazing (yet) but it's definitely entertaining. I enjoy that you get to do more training with a lightsaber. You sort of have to put bit more thought to it rather than just hacking aimlessly which makes you feel like you need to control your "dark side" a bit. Thought that was quite smartly done.

Karol

Eyy! I love Blakus. Didn't know he did the trailer music.

Been playing the game and I am loving it, though I am not at all hard to please when it comes to Star Wars. Soundtrack is nice, hearing a lot of the established themes, hoping to get my ears accustomed to the new themes.

Gordy Haab has convinced me that he “gets” JW in a way few (no?) other mainstream media composers do. The intricacy, both from his orchestration and harmonies, is light years beyond Balfe, Giacchino, and even Powell. What a breath of fresh air this score is. I love his other Star Wars work too, but this cakes the cake so far. Don’t know anything about this Stephen Barton fellow or how they shared the workload, but maybe he deserves just as much kudos. 

Agreed whole heartedly Poke. Been following Haab for years and Jedi is his best work. I do wish some of the cues with Williams established themes could have made their way onto the album but the score’s fabric is Williams all the way. How has he not gotten a SW show or movie yet.

In a way, that might be a good thing. Video games seem to offer more freedom and larger canvas than live action stuff. I mean, just imagine what John Williams could have conjured up for a project like this with so little to hold him back.

I do actually like this score. It's not necessarily as memorable  as it should have been (yet at least) beyond Cal's established theme from the first score but I do appreciate that it doesn't simply try to ape John Williams in a temp track kind of way. Four hours is a bit much though, no matter the standard of the music.

Karol

I don't know about this music - every minute it's a game of 'Ooh that sounds like this Williams cue from this score'. It irks me too much to be able to enjoy it. Powell and Giacchino have adapted their styles to Williams work without emulating so completely.

• 7 months later...

Interesting. I always wanted to take a look on a cue list from a videogame. It's not separated by reels like movies, right?

Also, do they separate which cues were written by him and which were written by Stephen Barton?

3 hours ago, Jaaaackified said:

Gordy Haab have just generously shared the FULL orchestral score of Star Wars: Jedi Survivor which is a behemoth containing more than 1400 pages. 

Source?

45 minutes ago, FunnyML said:

Source?

Check his recent facebook posts

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Interesting. I always wanted to take a look on a cue list from a videogame. It's not separated by reels like movies, right?

Also, do they separate which cues were written by him and which were written by Stephen Barton?

No, it's still "Music by Haab and Barton" on the cover and no credits for each cue. 

Based on how the cues are labeled I don't think it's separated by reels but probably by scenes or chapters in the game. There are cue lists from other Haab/Barton star wars game in this thread, you'll know when you see them.