New Violin arrangement of Helena's Theme performed by Anne-Sophie Mutter recorded for Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Jay

If A.I. is anything to go by, ditching actual film tracks wouldn't take a second thought if either Williams or marketing people want ASM on the album.

The problem for the album will be if Williams wants an orchestral version, ASM version, a new March recording, and at least one other concert piece of some sort. That's probably at least 15 minutes gone right there, leaving an hour or so of score.

Plus, what if he has composed some massive 10 minute end credits cue as a 'sign off' from Indy?

It will all be nice from a concept, collector's perspective, but probably means a mountain of unreleased music.

if it's on the OST and takes the space of a "Raider's march" Reprise that's already included twice =Ok

If it's on the OST and takes the place of a film cue highlight=not Ok

K.M.,Who only likes a select few ASM arrangements. 

is it only me or the MB is really slow to load(replies...) in the last 2 days?

5 hours ago, Jay said:

It was recorded Friday, February 10th: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cois1eFPJx-/

The arrangement was then performed live 4 days later in San Francisco at the 'John Williams with Anne-Sophie Mutter' concert on February 14th.

Concert report:

Wow; that is phenomenal!

13 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

Magnificent, thank you @Brando

No problem! I saw this earlier today in an Indiana Jones FB group and I was like oh whatever, thats neat. Then tonight I got on here and realized no one else had video of it, luckily the post was still up. The little mention he makes of it feeling like 10 years is hilarious:lol:

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

I guess the orchestral version might end up exclusive to the end credits track.

I think you're correct, the orchestral version will appear on the end credits and the violin arrangement as an OST-exclusive concert suite. It wouldn't make any sense to include two concert suites of the same theme.

Ol’ John is really going all in on creating as many new arrangements as possible for a wide as possible selection of his compositions… as a collector and (let’s face it) super-geek-for-all-things-JW it’s a bit exhausting.

I mean, “Helena’s Theme” isn’t even released yet and already there’s an alternative arrangement!

27 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I mean, “Helena’s Theme” isn’t even released yet and already there’s an alternative arrangement!

And he often revises these concert suites after the scoring sessions are finished, making the OST version unique. So we might yet hear a third version of her theme. 

It has me wondering if it's the only concert arrangement written for the film, considering it's the only one being performed. 

Good God, what? Williams is at the top of his game at 91, what the heck. This is incredible. I can't believe a massive film blockbuster in 2023 is gonna have writing like that. Nobody does shit like that anymore. Also, he looks so great in that pic! I swear that photo could have been 20 years ago.

Somebody tweeted Mangold a few months back about having Helena's theme released digitally as a single.

image.png

Wonder if the ASM track might be something that gets released a few weeks before the film's release to build up hype?

Never appreciated the colors of Anakin's theme that are in there:

What I love about this new arrangement, is how the less-than-fully-formed variants of it make it clear that the theme actually contains a quite cleverly disguised hint of the Raiders march main theme. A nice and surprising touch! Love that he's having so much fun with this!

14 hours ago, pete said:

At the end of the Superman recording sessions, Williams recorded The Fury album as he had finished recording Superman ahead of schedule and had sessions already booked.

That's an old rumour, and I just reiterated it to a friend the other week myself, but he pointed out that it can't be true: Superman wasn't recorded until July 1978, but The Fury's album sessions took place in February - several months before Superman.

17 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That's an old rumour, and I just reiterated it to a friend the other week myself, but he pointed out that it can't be true: Superman wasn't recorded until July 1978, but The Fury's album sessions took place in February - several months before Superman.

Maybe it was the other way around. They planned to record Superman earlier, but the score was not ready, but recording prepared and orchestra booked, so they recorded The Fury instead, which was ready at that time and booked another recording for Superman later?

That could still mean The Fury being recorded at sessions originally planned for Superman.

But that's just wild guessing.

18 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I thought that was in the original liner notes? Mmm. Interesting. Or maybe I read it somewhere else. Not sure if I have the original liner notes at home 

17 minutes ago, pete said:

I thought that was in the original liner notes? Mmm. Interesting. Or maybe I read it somewhere else. Not sure if I have the original liner notes at home 

I remember reading about it years ago, long before the most recent score release, but apparently it's repeated in that booklet as well, with a semi-quote by Williams that (depending on what he actually said) leaves some room for interpretation.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Maybe it was the other way around. They planned to record Superman earlier, but the score was not ready, but recording prepared and orchestra booked, so they recorded The Fury instead, which was ready at that time and booked another recording for Superman later?

That was kind of my idea: I doubt Williams was looking to record Superman that early (though I don't know the detailed history of that score), but perhaps he was inquiring about the LSO's activity early and they offered him a time slot where he knew the score wouldn't be ready, so he took the opportunity to re-record The Fury instead.

So he was in very rough preparations for Superman - insofar as he had signed on and met Donner at the LSO concert. But I guess the real opportunity for the The Fury sessions was the concert.

It's interesting too that he wrote and recorded The Fury and Jaws 2 after signing on to score Superman, before beginning writing Superman.

I wonder how often in his career was he is booked 3+ scores out like that.  Probably a huge chunk of it!

4 minutes ago, pete said:

My whole world has just been turned upside down! How did I misinterpret that?

Well, it does say:

The latter came about, as Williams would say, by "a fortuitous accident": he was in London preparing to record the score for Superman.

And the claim that the album was recorded during the Superman sessions goes much farther back. I probably read it around the time I first heard the score, in the early 2000s. The above quote is phrased vaguely, and I guess somebody repeated it in an even more ambiguous manner and somebody else misunderstood etc.

As Terry Pratchett wrote:

Rumour is information distilled so finely that it can filter through anything.

Why is no one talking about the Raiders March quote from 6:50 - 6:53? The first 4 notes are distinctly heard.

Maybe we'll hear this quote again at the very end of the Indy 5 end credits?

13 minutes ago, Garrett said:

Why is no one talking about the Raiders March quote from 6:50 - 6:53? The first 4 notes are distinctly heard.

The harp? I'm not hearing anything from Raiders March? 

14 hours ago, pete said:

The harp? I'm not hearing anything from Raiders March? 

Yes, the harp. The harp plays the first four notes of Indy's theme, and then two more extraneous notes.

After 6:50 we hear the notes G, Ab, Bb, and Eb; then Bb and Eb an octave higher.

G, Ab, Bb, Eb are the first four notes of the Raiders March in the key of Eb major. 

Thanks.. I would never have noticed - I had also been listening for the rhythm of the march's first few notes. I still don't quite hear it, but that's my ears. 

23 minutes ago, pete said:

Thanks.. I would never have noticed - I had also been listening for the rhythm of the march's first few notes. I still don't quite hear it, but that's my ears. 

Yeah, the usual rhythm of the Raiders March isn't there. I'm just talking about the pitch of the notes.