Live action “How to Train Your Dragon” coming 2025 - John Powell

Tom Guernsey

20 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Mostly ewwwww. OTOH if they can move more in the direction of 2 and not as much as 3.

OR they could actually do the books! But that seems unlikely.

Aren’t the dragons tiny in the books? One thing I would quite like is actually making the dragons more plausibly designed, along the line of those in Game of Thrones, which I think look pretty astonishing and broadly plausible (at least enough for suspension of disbelief) in terms of body to wingspan ratio. The How to Train your Dragon dragons are all a little bit too cartoony, especially the chunky ones with tiny wings. I rather hope that they make it perhaps a little bit more adult and realistic if not actually insanely grim like Game of Thrones, where the dragons were genuinely quite terrifying!

8 minutes ago, Luka said:

Oh.

My.

God.

:w00t:

Powell reworking with his best work to date. SO EXCITING!

Unlike the animation choices, Powell’s music being fairly dramatic, doesn’t sound like it comes from an animated film movie for the most part. To that end, it makes you wonder just how much he'll be able to rework it. Then again, even if it’s just some subtle  reworking with a newly recorded version of key tracks, I think that will be great to hear. I imagine cues like test drive won’t be massively changed given that it’s such a terrific track for a pivotal moment in the original movie and is already suitable majestic. 

The dragons are various sizes. Toothless is tiny. And they live mostly peacefully with the Vikings. The movie took a bunch of names from the book. Which is fine, I love the movie. But the books are good too.

And give David Tenant a serious part this time!

Pretty cool to already have a 2025 score to look forward to! 

Here's the Variety article since OP didn't link to it 

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/how-to-train-your-dragon-live-action-new-movie-1235524435/

And the link to Powell's Instagram post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cos8wa3PLhZ/

13 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

The dragons are various sizes. Toothless is tiny. And they live mostly peacefully with the Vikings. The movie took a bunch of names from the book. Which is fine, I love the movie. But the books are good too.

And give David Tenant a serious part this time!

Ah yes maybe it was Toothless being tiny that I remembered. Sounds like the books are fairly different although not sure they’ll move more in that direction by doing it live action. Definitely up for David Tennant in anything. 

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Pretty cool to already have a 2025 score to look forward to! 

Here's the Variety article since OP didn't link to it 

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/how-to-train-your-dragon-live-action-new-movie-1235524435/

And the link to Powell's Instagram post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cos8wa3PLhZ/

Cheers. Didn’t think to look up the article (although it basically says nothing of substance as such articles often do!). 

It's just so bizarre. A live action remake of an animated film that'll only be 15 years old when the remake comes out. 

And by the same director, with the same composer! 

Never could have seen this coming. 

I'm confused what this actually is. I guess they're most likely straight-up remaking the first movie Disney-style with Powell basically rerecording his score and eyes toward remaking the trilogy, which would just be another sign that we're truly living in nostalgia hell, but the wording of the press release as a "new entry" does make it sound like it could be a different live-action story within this universe, or some hybridization of story elements from the books/films.

The article doesn't mention that it'll be a remake of the first movie but rather a new adaptation. I don't know if everyone here is aware of the fact that this franchise is based on a series of kids books... Lol

Either way, I don't like the fact that this will apparently retell the story of first one, but in live action. Not even the fact that Powell is scoring it makes me happy. I want to see him doing new movies, not reworking his old scores like Zimmer with 2019 Lion King or Menken with Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast.

3 minutes ago, LSH said:

I'm probably in the minority here but I'd much rather Powell be doing something fresh in the coming few years. We have a perfect trilogy of scores from HTTYD. 

Get him back to Star Wars, if anything.

Exactly. There's some exciting movies out there being produced that could use Powell's incredible talent. 

Honestly, I think I would prefer JP doing Harold and the Purple Crayon while Batu Sener adapts Powell's music to this live action.

OTOH, if this movie turns out to be a fresh new entry on the franchise and not just a remake, allowing Powell to explore new sides of his scores, then count me in!

14 minutes ago, LSH said:

Get him back to Star Wars, if anything.

2025 is also the year Disney returns to releasing theatrical Star Wars films. 

Could you imagine if 2025 brings us a Powell HTTYD score in March and a Powell Star Wars score in December? 

These 3 films are very dear to my heart, so at the moment I'm not sure how I feel about it.

The only 2 points that are a positive for me is that Powell his back. I would love for Powell to use his themes but also add new ones, so it stays fresh and new. Just like he did with both sequels.

The other thing is that Dean DeBlois is involved. But going from animation to live action is not easy and it hasn't worked out with a couple directors.

And casting and production/effects are going to be a big part of this. 

I really loved the HTTYD movies so a new entry would be welcome but if it's a straight remake of the first one it would be such a missed opportunity.

Anyway any Powell new music is welcomed

I never saw the last movie but it seems like a bit soon to remake the first one, if that is the plan. Nice to get a new Powell score though but I hope it’s not just a copy paste of the first score.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

And by the same director, with the same composer! 

One of the directors. One the up side DeBlois solo gave us How to Train Your Dragon 2. On the down side he gave us 3.

I fear no good can come of this.

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

The third was fantastic!!

It was OK. Good even. (IMHO). After 2 my expectations were very high.

I wish there were some candid commentary from the film makers on the making of the film. It seems to me that they were clearly going in a different direction at the end of 2. Then it was delayed for, what? Three years? And we got a much more by-the-numbers film more in the vein of the first, politely wrap it all up, thank you.

It really follows the Star Wars / Empire / Jedi pattern.

7 hours ago, Tallguy said:

One of the directors. One the up side DeBlois solo gave us How to Train Your Dragon 2. On the down side he gave us 3.

You got this exactly backwards. 2 is just an ok movie. 3 is great. All 3 scores are fantastic. In my mind it’s Powell’s second perfect score trilogy after Bourne, which he also revisited years later with another installment. Maybe it’ll be like that situation and he’ll supervise while another composer adapts and arranges his old themes.

3 was a dumb mess, it had an ending in mind but didn't do anything to logically or satisfyingly set it up, it just copied 2.

Clearly we have different opinions. (Shocked!)

2 felt like the world opened up and it became much larger, more epic.

Spoiler

Even without Stoik's death (Jay just said he hasn't seen it, so I'll be nice)

it was a weightier film.

Then 3 abandoned that whole storyline. The movie was much less cinematic than 2 was. 2 set up shots and locations like it was a David Lean film or Miyazaki.

One can see it either as a step backward (I do) or a return to form. I used to watch 1 and 2 all the time. I don't revisit 3 all that much.

They really have though…

Back on topic: I must admit I still haven't seen any of the HTTYD films. I do have the first two scores on CD, but I've mostly just played the highlights of the first one. At least without the context of the films, the rest never grabbed me all that much.

36 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

it was a weightier film.

Then 3 abandoned that whole storyline.

1: Dragons are bad - no, dragons are good actually, friendship and love win.

2: Bad guy controls dragons - but love is a stronger bond and triumphs in the end.

3: Bad guy controls dragons again - but love is a stronger bond but actually no, we the only tribe who love dragons are bad for them, let's send them all away into the world where others will kill them.

3's copypaste of 2 leads into that ending in no real good way. Why not have Valka go rogue and violent in how she treats outsiders, she could kill humans who don't love dragons, the tribe and their dragons could split, it's now not mind control vs friendship but friendship vs friendship - then the conclusion that humans are not good enough for the dragons could work. But no, uncharismatic villain, cutesy dragon love that turns Toothless into an asshole who's angry when Hiccup comes to him asking for help. Great conclusion.

Well sure, but it was literally supposed to be the same bad guy in 2 and 3. The studio just told DeBlois he could have

Spoiler

Stoick die

or he could have

Spoiler

a redemption arc for Drago

but he couldn’t have both.

16 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Well sure, but it was literally supposed to be the same bad guy in 2 and 3. The studio just told DeBlois he could have Stoick die or he could have a redemption arc for Drago, but he couldn’t have both.

See that's the kind of behind the scenes stuff I would like to know more of.

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Well they have to train them for something so surely training them to be in show business isn’t a bad move? Dragons are expensive to feed… I hope they cast a couple of the dragons from House of the Dragon.🤞🏻

Better hire one of the younger dragons, they’re probably likely less set in their ways than Vhagar😆