Your Wishlist for a Possible/Hypothetical Across the Stars Vol 2?

pete

2 hours ago, pete said:

1. A Window to the Past 

4. Superman Love Theme

8.  Willie's Theme from The Temple of Doom.

10. Jazz Autographs from The Terminal 

16. Helena's Theme

17. E.T. and Me

20. Anakin's Theme

22. Fawkes The Phoenix

25. The Ballroom Sequence

26. The Face Of Pan

27. The Fabelmans

27 tracks would be amazing, but here's my sub-list of themes I think actually stand a chance (or ones I want so badly I'm keeping them on the list against hope).

Accidental Tourist is a forgotten classic in my opinion. When I was really small he did it live with the Pops, sadly I don't have any memory of it. But I would love a new version of it.

Seven Years in Tibet would sound great, another one that gets left out a lot, but I can't remember ever hearing that one played live or seeing it.

Where Dreams Are Born I am kind of surprised was never put into consideration.

If We Were In Love fits perfectly with her style and violin in general. I would say I am surprised that got passed over too but that movie was SO bad that its intentionally forgotten, even though he made an awesome concert arrangement.

I think the Basket Chase would probably sound great on as a violin piece too.

This is a tough one, once you go down this rabbit hole pretty much anything can be selected.

Call me weird, but unfortunately I don't like arrangements of Williams themes for a solo instrument & orchestra, even if he has done them himself. (unless we're talking about album versions originally found on the osts at the time of release)

I know there’s a below-zero chance they’d do it, but I’d love to hear another take on Luke & Leia. The first version on the first Across The Stars album was hardly different from the original arrangement, and I’d so love to hear a new one that’s in the same vein as the theme’s big statement in The Last Jedi - slower, sadder, but with a touch of hope.

As I say whenever people ask about wish lists for compilations, my list would consist almost entirely of obscure efforts that have no interest to anyone else. Often also completely unreleased efforts. Don't know how much violin there is in Williams' symphony (as I haven't heard it, nor have most people), but that would obviously be top of the list.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

As I say whenever people ask about wish lists for compilations, my list would consist almost entirely of obscure efforts that have no interest to anyone else. Often also completely unreleased efforts. Don't know how much violin there is in Williams' symphony (as I haven't heard it, nor have most people), but that would obviously be top of the list.

There is a really big flute solo opening the second movement but not much violin. It sounds a lot like the orchestration in the flute concerto/original violin concerto/ and more specifically the sinfonietta.

Kazoo!

On 18/02/2023 at 7:01 PM, Thor said:

As I say whenever people ask about wish lists for compilations, my list would consist almost entirely of obscure efforts that have no interest to anyone else. Often also completely unreleased efforts.

But if it gets released it won't be interesting anymore.

On 18/02/2023 at 11:47 AM, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Seven Years in Tibet would sound great, another one that gets left out a lot, but I can't remember ever hearing that one played live or seeing it.

Where Dreams Are Born I am kind of surprised was never put into consideration.

These two strike me as more interesting than the typical JW blockbuster pieces.

Tibet has a couple of beautiful standalone pieces, and while I do like the melody from A.I. I've never liked the vocals JW used.

Perhaps WTTP too, but I'd suspect that ASM's more 'active' style might be wrong for what is a reflective piece.

On 20/02/2023 at 5:58 PM, Richard Penna said:

These two strike me as more interesting than the typical JW blockbuster pieces.

Tibet has a couple of beautiful standalone pieces, and while I do like the melody from A.I. I've never liked the vocals JW used.

Perhaps WTTP too, but I'd suspect that ASM's more 'active' style might be wrong for what is a reflective piece.

What is WTTP? Trying to rack my three brain cells and can't think of what it is haha

On 20/02/2023 at 4:13 AM, GerateWohl said:

In future I would probably prefer for such an album arrangements for a different solo instrument. My ears have limited capacity for solo violin.

Actually I was thinking the same - even though I went a little overboard listing about 30 pieces I'd love for Ann-Sophie and Williams to tackle next - and I have a longer list. For Gillian for one. And there are also the revisions: Across The Stars and Hedwig's Theme, and there was also the shorter Hedwig's Theme that was recorded at the album sessions. 

Cello, oboe, guitar, and flute are the instruments I'd most like to see/hear featured. With Williams performing a concert with Yo-yo Ma next year and considereing he made a new arrangement of Schindler's List for piano trio (not a trio of pianos), maybe we can hope for more arrangements and perhaps something like the Ennio Morricone Yo-yo Ma CD, although Gathering of Friends came close! 

Cello - especially for AI's Where Dream's Are Born. There a brief rendition of the theme on cello in the OST track "Stored Memories and Monica's Theme". I'd kill someone I don't know for a fully fleshed out arrangement.

And as Thor said, it would be wonderful to hear more older, half forgotten, and perhaps unreleased gems.  

I remember years ago looking at the piano reduction of Nice to be Around and really loving the melody - but not loving the style and vocals of the theme on the soundtrack, I remember wishing for an orchestral version, but I thought the chances were zero one would ever come about. Of course I'd love new music more, but Williams seems to enjoy rearranging and writing for his friends. And I think we all surprised that got an arrangement. Williams just needs some prodding as it was arranged at the suggestion of Andrea Previn. I wonder if "The Long Goodbye" arrangenment had anything to do with Williams using it in The Last Jedi. But he does have all his scores at home, so there are reminders of all his music close by. 

Oh "The Basket Game" is a great idea for an arrangement for violin and orchestra!

4 hours ago, pete said:

and considereing he made a new arrangement of Schindler's List for piano trio

Yes, the next Across The Stars album should be for solo instrument plus piano only. For such kind of arrangements this displays the solo instrument arrangements better anyway than this whole orchestra arrangements. That only leads to permanent comparisons with the original pieces. Just accompanied with piano this would be in my eyes a better alternative to the original arrangements of the pieces.

13 hours ago, pete said:

there was also the shorter Hedwig's Theme that was recorded at the album sessions. 

What's this now?

Here it is.. I haven’t analyzed the differences, but I don’t think it’s an edit. Two minutes shorter than the album version. It was released just before the full album. 

I don't really go back to these either tbh but it was just cool hearing how he messed around with this old stuff, especially the ones that were more unique like that Hedwig's Theme arrangement. The other bit that really sticks in my mind is how he romanticized that countermelody in Yoda's Theme at 1:07. Always been there but never like that, it's so lovely! 

So just for little surprises like that I'd definitely listen to a Vol 2. 

Just thought while listening to Angela's Prayers from Angela's Ashes, that this would be an easy candidate for such an arrangement. 

But of course it doesn't really need a new arrangement but it would grant a little fresh attention to this beautiful piece.