The Color Purple (2023)

dyemery

According to Film Music Reporter, Kris Bowers (BridgertonKing RichardGreen BookSpace Jam: A New LegacyDear White People) has recently been recording his underscore for the upcoming film adaptation of The Color Purple. The movie is directed by Blitz Bazawule (The Burial of KojoBlack Is King) and stars Fantasia, Taraji P. Henson, Colman Domingo, Corey Hawkins, H.E.R., Danielle Brooks, Ciara, Halle Bailey, Aunjanue Ellis, Elizabeth Marvel, Jon Batiste Louis Gossett Jr., Tamela J. Mann, David Alan Grier, Deon Cole and Stephen Hill. The period drama tells the story of a Black Southern woman who struggles to find her identity after suffering abuse from her father and others over the course of four decades. Marcus Gardley wrote the screenplay based on the Tony-winning musical by Marsha Norman, Brenda Lee, Allee Willis & Stephen Bray, which was based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning 1982 novel by Alice Walker. Oprah Winfrey is producing the project for Harpo Films, alongside Steven Spielberg for Amblin Entertainment, as well as Scott Sanders (In the Heights) and Quincy Jones (who composed the music for Spielberg’s 1985 film adaptation of Walker’s novel). The Color Purple is scheduled to be released on December 20, 2023 by Warner Bros. Pictures.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/02/21/kris-bowers-scoring-blitz-bazawules-the-color-purple/

Having seen a production of the musical in London a few years ago, hopefully this will be decent. I expect Bowers' music will be very much connective musical tissue than anything substantial. I have a feeling the musical was more or less sung through so his contributions may well be minimal.

• 2 months later...
On 22/02/2023 at 6:19 PM, Jay said:

The only Spielberg movie I haven't seen!

It's very underrated. I really enjoyed it, great cinematography and acting. My only complaint is of course the score, which I like, but I know Williams would have written a wonderful score. Even his arrangement for the main theme is amazing. 

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Here it is:

Strange. In the original it was quite clear which of the two sisters is the pretty one and which the not so pretty one because it was important for the story. Here Celie looks better than her "pretty" sister.

11 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

because it was important for the story.

And not just in the film, but in Alice Walker's source novel, too.

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Right. Truth is funny at times.

Indeed. And if what Jurassic Shark wrote was right - which it is -, then why didn’t they make Celie “ugly” like in Spielberg’s version or in the book, to show the message of the truth, namely that what’s on the inside is what truly matters? 

57 minutes ago, JTW said:

Indeed. And if what Jurassic Shark wrote was right - which it is -, then why didn’t they make Celie “ugly” like in Spielberg’s version or in the book, to show the message of the truth, namely that what’s on the inside is what truly matters? 

I guess then the plot would unravel.

51 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Yes. It is like they thought, the original was an animated Disney movie and they are now creating the live action version of it.

That doesn't bode well!

22 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Truth is overrated.

Or like Dr. Henry Jones Jr. said: "Archeology is the search for fact, not truth. If it's truth you're interested in, Dr. Tyree's Philosophy class is right down the hall."

This looks very slick. Surprisingly so. And very Spielberg. I know he's only a producer, but damn, if I didn't know better I'd have sworn he directed it and Kamiński did the cinematography.

I know, I was only kidding, because he said that he almost recognized Janusz Kaminski’s cinematography in the trailer, and that film was shot by Daviau. The first film Kaminski worked with Spielberg on was Schindler’s List.

42 minutes ago, JTW said:

I know, I was only kidding, because he said that he almost recognized Janusz Kaminski’s cinematography in the trailer, and that film was shot by Daviau. The first film Kaminski worked with Spielberg on was Schindler’s List.

Yes, yes. I know. But Spielberg’s recent films have been shot by Kamiński, and that’s my point…it looks like a Spielberg film (and not a twenty year old one). 

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Daviau's gorgeous cinematography was among the very few saving graces of Spielberg's film.

What's wrong with the rest of the movie?

It is a great, warm, hard, unforgiving, triumphant movie, and there is not a scene that does not shine with the love of the people who made it. - Roger Ebert

11 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I think it's a sanitized version of the novel. 

What can I say? It just doesn't interest me.

That's why you shouldn't read books, Richard! 

All kidding aside, not having read the book, I watched it completely unprejudiced, and I was really impressed with Spielberg's strong visual storytelling. Every scene is visually maximized, which I love, but I know some people find that distracting.

But I like Empire Of The Sun endlessly more ...

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

That's why you shouldn't read books, Richard! 

I should shtart reading booksh, inshtead of burning them :lol:

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

But I like Empire Of The Sun endlessly more ...

That's a given.

The Color Purple is arguably Spielberg’s greatest film. It’s a true masterpiece and proof that he isn’t just a one-trick pony; Spielberg is capable of providing more than spectacle or sentimentality.

I don't think it's his greatest film (that to me is SCHINDLER'S LIST), but it's certainly one of his best dramas. I just wish John Williams had written the score. 

31 minutes ago, JTW said:

I don't think it's his greatest film (that to me is SCHINDLER'S LIST), but it's certainly one of his best dramas. I just wish John Williams had written the score. 

I actually think they made the right choice there. John Williams’ was certainly capable of delivering but what Quincy gave us was incredibly personal and moving and a wonderful accompaniment to the film. I can’t believe imagine Williams would have done better, just differently approached.

As others have said before, it would no doubt have had a ROSEWOOD twang, perhaps coupled with some of his other Americana leanings. But I'm content with the wonderful score we got, Delerue rip or not. I also think the film is MUCH better than what its reputation suggests. Sentimental at times, yes, but also with a visceral rawness at times that doesn't get enough credit.

Not really interested in stage versions or film remakes.