Cues that sound better when segued together

enderdrag64

I don't think there is a thread for this already.

I was re-listening to The Phantom Menace the other day and I realized how much better 6m2 Laser Fight sounds when you have the last 15 seconds or so of 6m1 The Armies Face-Off build into it.

What other examples are there of this in Williams' scores?

I'm surely in the "all of them" camp, meaning that every sequence of connected cues that JW conceived should be presented as such, even if he broke it into cues for recording purposes.

One of the infinitely many examples is The Rescue - The Bike Chase from E.T. .  The mood set by the first cue is absolutely necessary to "get" the second cue!

56 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark - In The Jungle/The Cave

Without that overlap the program grinds to a halt at the end of In The Jungle...  But as always, I am glad they decided to keep these cues separate on the official albums.

I just realized that that cue kind of sounds CE3K-ish.

2 hours ago, Score said:

One of the infinitely many examples is The Rescue - The Bike Chase from E.T. .  The mood set by the first cue is absolutely necessary to "get" the second cue!

These 2 obviously, but also adding The Departure to the end of it, it flows so well. I like combining tracks for this very reason.

2 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I've never found the segue there to be that satisfying so I can go either way 

To be fair the whole score is so edited to hell, it's hard to tell if that was the intended segue.

"Destruction of Krypton" and "The Kryptonquake." It is nice to be able to hear the fanfare at the start on its own, but when I'm listening through, it's so much more satisfying with that ending build-up paying off with the theme.

3 minutes ago, Clockwork Angel said:

I wouldn't want that Fanfare trampling all over those gorgeous strings though.

It actually doesn't! They complement excellently with the fanfare, giving it a glorious shimmer (that also parallels the orchestration of the later outburst of the fanfare in Kryptonquake).

For me, it's easier to pick the ones that don't sound so good, because there are so few of them in JW's work. The AOTC cue for the arrival on Kamino comes to mind.

One where the segues make an especially positive difference is the Quidditch match in the first Potter film. Those cues really don't work alone, but they really work together.

39 minutes ago, Datameister said:

For me, it's easier to pick the ones that don't sound so good, because there are so few of them in JW's work.

the Quidditch match in the first Potter film. Those cues don't work alone, but they really don't work together.

Wow, tell us how you really feel. ;)

I find that sometimes some segues can sound slightly odd, because I can hear the "seams", especially ones where I listen to separated versions, or was introduced to the score by aforementioned versions.

An example would be the segue between the first two cues in the Flying Sequence fron Superman.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Me: Films are over-spotted with too much music, and discrete tracks are better for cherry picking for playlists. 

Also Me: These cues sound better segued together:

Hide contents

High Life In Hong Kong/Anything Goes/ A Tribute To Vernon/Indy Negotiates/Once In A Vial/Through Chinatown/Map/Out Of Fuel/Down The Snowbank/The Indian Village/ The Old Priest's Tale/The Child Returns/The Elephant Ride/ The Scroll/ To Pankot Palace /Pankot Palace Source/Entrance Of The Boy King/The First Supper/Exchange Of Glances/Nocturnal Activities/Strangle Hold/ The Inner Chamber/ The Walls Come Down/Sanskrit Sacrifice/ Approaching The Stones/Slave Children/ Moloram's Speech/The Evil Potion/Short Round Escapes/Sacrifice Continued/Willy In The Fryer/Saving Willy/Crusade Of The Slave Children/Short Round Helps Out/Indy Takes Charge/Mine Car Chase/Water/The Sword Trick/The Rope Bridge/The Broken Bridge/British Relief/Finale/End Credits 

Please stay way from sequencing the TOD expansion. ;)

If Once In A Vial gets crossfaded into Through Chinatown on an expansion, I'll Riot.

Matessino beware! ;)

1 hour ago, Clockwork Angel said:

If Once In A Vial gets crossfaded into Through Chinatown on an expansion, I'll Riot.

Matessino beware! ;)

Yeah, killing the momentum and making a buildup payoffless is great!

26 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yeah, killing the momentum and making a buildup payoffless is great!

Chopping out one of the highlights of the whole score doesn't improve momentum.

14 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I don't see this being a problem.

A theoretical TOD expansion produced by Mike would have two versions of 1M6 Once In A Vial regardless: the "film version" (with Dance Orchestra overlay) and the "original version" (without overlay, as heard on the Concord).

Even if he overlaps 1M6 with 1M7 in the film score presentation, a clean ending would be available in the alternate (meaning you could append that to the film version, if you desired).

Everyone wins!

The clean opening of Through Chinatown would be available on the expansion as well, if a rebuild of the OST were also included.

11 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

The clean opening of Through Chinatown would be available on the expansion as well, if a rebuild of the OST were also included.

Exactly.

Though instead of including the entire OST, he could include just the album tracks with clean openings/endings.

6 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Same key and almost same tempo! :lol:

Next challenge: find a sequence from the SW movies - or any other movie - for which this combined cue would be an appropriate soundtrack.

17 minutes ago, eitam said:

The last minute of the Finale always gets my blood pumping in anticipation of the sequel... and then I remember. 

Have patience. It's an elaborate process splitting up a movie into three movies.

7 hours ago, eitam said:

Return to Marlinspike Hall & Finale, followed by The Adventure Continues. The last minute of the Finale always gets my blood pumping in anticipation of the sequel... and then I remember. 

Don't worry, Peter Jackson will get right onto that once he finishes the next Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Maybe that's for another thread "which cues sound better split apart". But I never liked that Hab Solo and the Princess on the OST contained Darth Vader's meeting with the emperor. It should have ended with the imperial march transition and Vader's conversation should have been a separate track.

29 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

that Hab Solo

Is that the Gordy Haab take?

29 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Maybe that's for another thread "which cues sound better split apart".

Or "which score sounds best in its OST presentation". 

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Maybe that's for another thread "which cues sound better split apart". But I never liked that Hab Solo and the Princess on the OST contained Darth Vader's meeting with the emperor. It should have ended with the imperial march transition and Vader's conversation should have been a separate track.

But it appears that way in the film? 

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

The real solution is that the concert arrangement he made that was first recorded for an album by Charles Gerhardt should have been recorded by JW at the TESB sessions and put on the album instead of the film cue

Exactly.

53 minutes ago, Brando said:

But it appears that way in the film? 

Yes, and I might like the track that way better If it wouldn't be called "Han Solo and the Princess" but "Han Solo and the Princess and Vader's Audience".

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Yes, and I might like the track that way better If it wouldn't be called "Han Solo and the Princess" but "Han Solo and the Princess and Vader's Audience".

I'll agree here, the Vader and Palpatine portion should have a name on the album as well I think.