Mangold: Asked JW for "big fat album" for Indy 5 with "as many cues as John can bear," also describes score & sound mix

crumbs

Are you implying James Mangold is the first person to ever bring JW's attention towards full digital scores?

I hope you don't think JW lives in an ivory tower.

He's likely well aware of it.

But like any, let's say, old folks, he's convinced the thing he's had success with is the bestest ever.

15 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

Are you implying James Mangold is the first person to ever bring JW's attention towards full digital scores?

I hope you don't think JW lives in an ivory tower.

He's likely well aware of it.

But like any, let's say, old folks, he's convinced the thing he's had success with is the bestest ever.

That's a really good point.  I think (as far as I know, at least) Mike Matessino is the only guy to convince JW to release complete expansions of his past work, and even then he's not always 100% successful.

8 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

That's a really good point.  I think (as far as I know, at least) Mike Matessino is the only guy to convince JW to release complete expansions of his past work, and even then he's not always 100% successful.

JW has a good point when he thinks single discs are way more marketable than multi discs. However, "discs" are dying.

And releasing everything from the start spares the cost of future releases.

Which, of course, would mean death of specialty labels. 

I can't imagine they can survive on obscure C-movie releases.

12 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

JW has a good point when he thinks single discs are way more marketable than multi discs. However, "discs" are dying.

And releasing everything from the start spares the cost of future releases.

Which, of course, would mean death of specialty labels. 

I can't imagine they can survive on obscure C-movie releases.

Well, they've got Blake Neely.

51 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

But with John Williams it's usually the case ;)

Considering any physical expansion I would generally agree.

I am not aware of any "big fat" digital JW release except the "for your consideration" downloads, maybe "Galaxy's Edge" (which however did come out on vinyl), Benny's Theme, those three recent DG "digital singles", Schindler's from Milan, and the acoustically perturbed "Of Grit and Glory". 

To crown it all, the Fanfare for the Vienna Philharmonic Ball which ended up in the social media with zero quality.

13 minutes ago, King Mark said:

At the time of the TPM UE there was a bunch of online petitions telling Sony it was garbage and wasn't done properly. I thought it was at least better than nothing and we had 90% of the cues and  enough to make complete fan edits and warned people not to send these petitions.

Yeah aren't those fan petitions like the MAIN reason they didn't make AOTC and ROTS ultimate editions?

I thought they were disappointed by the sales of TPM UE. Which was their own fault for producing an isolated score of an early edit of the film that no one asked for. 

Great point, never thought about it that way. Star Wars music is always in demand, yet the existing releases just get repackaged endlessly. Maybe the fact that some scores have never been expanded will, EVENTUALLY, help the suits decide that a new set of expansions could be marketable. "Never before expanded!" would sound good on promo materials.

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

If we had AoTC and RotS UE's at least we'd have most of the cues in high quality and could make near perfect fan edits and waiting for a comprehensive Mastessino release would be more of a luxury instead of something we desperately need.

Yes, but it would also have suggested to the suits that isolated scores on CD were what fans wanted. In their minds, they've given us the 'complete score' and there would be no need for some 'Mike' guy to do another release.

That said, a UE of RotS would probably provide all I want from that score.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I don't think anyone wants to have to listen to fan edits forever. They're simply placeholders until we get the real deal.

I mean, people make fan edits from Specialty expansions..... CE3K anyone?