Williams and Spielberg on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Thursday March 2

Jay

Beneath his dignity for sure, but I'm glad it's happening and I'm watching nonetheless!  I love anything that gets Williams' name out there and reminds casual movie fans that this giant is as accomplished (and alive!) as he is.  I just wish he was doing Fallon so he'd have to play freeze tag or something. 

Williams' path through the world of interviews has been an odd one.  Remember, he also did Tavis Smiley in 2015 to promote TFA, and that might be the longest interview with him I've seen apart from that radio interview posted to YouTube a couple of years ago from the '80s.  He really needs to do a long-form sit-down with whoever is the less perverted successor to Charlie Rose.  But then again, the documentary will hopefully scratch that itch.

This is indeed a very cool surprise. I predict JW will perform the main theme from Fabelmans on piano, but only Spielberg will be interviewed.

Gosh it would be great to see JW walk out to rapturous applause though!

13 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

action scenes and her comedy scenes

Glad someone finally noticed this new favorite phrase.  I thought it was just me!

I noticed that https://tveveryday.com/the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert-tonight-this-weeks-guests/ has 'performance' against the musical guests but not one for Williams. So is that over-reading or an indication that Williams will be interviewed?

No.

Once an episode has aired, they know if a guest performed or not.  Before it has aired, or even been filmed, how can they know what will happen?

13 minutes ago, igger6 said:

Glad someone finally noticed this new favorite phrase.  I thought it was just me!

Has anyone tried to get ChatGPT to write a concert speech in the style of JW?

2 hours ago, Poor_Man_S_HirschFeld said:

Colbert is a Star Wars nerd through and through. I wonder if he would pull a Seth McFarlane on John Williams and quiz him about minor SW themes

If this is referring to Seth interviewing Lucas, I saw that video fairly recently and thought it was funny when Seth told him one of his favorite parts of ESB’s score was that one section of the Battle of Hoth that ended up not being used in the film and Lucas looked like he had no idea what he was talking about 😂😂

2 hours ago, Jay said:

No.

Once an episode has aired, they know if a guest performed or not.  Before it has aired, or even been filmed, how can they know what will happen?

An episode always has a musical guest, and the rest are interview guests. If Williams isn’t listed as a musical guest, he isn’t performing.

I'm sure we'll hear the 'meeting Steven' story....

"I look across the table and there's this kid sitting there..."

Lovely conversation so far. Nothing new, just lots of mutual praise between Williams and Spielberg, but nice to see them all the same. This was indeed filmed in California at Spielberg’s Amblin offices. The first half of the episode was with only Spielberg, then the Williams segment started.

Colbert just said there isn’t enough time in the episode to air everything, so there’ll be more of the interview with both of them aired next week.