Creed Saga (Rocky spin-off) - Ludwig Göransson & Joseph Shirley

Big fan of the scores, they're a womderful update of the Bill Conti sound into modern age and the main themes offer some of the best thematic material in modern age. Only heard the third score once so far and while the album feels bit long it does pay off greatly in the third act.

Karol

What’s your guys’ opinion on the Creed III score by Shirley? I lowkey thought he took away too many of the elements that made the Creed scores work so well but I still think it was a fine effort.

Not a fan of the CREED movies (nor their scores), but obviously adore the ol' ROCKY movies that I grew up with. There's obviously a generation gap thing going on here. In either case, I'm impressed by your passion, Knight of Ren. Keep it up!

1 hour ago, MaxMovieMan said:

What’s your guys’ opinion on the Creed III score by Shirley? I lowkey thought he took away too many of the elements that made the Creed scores work so well but I still think it was a fine effort.

I just came out of the theatre from watching the third movie. I hadn't listened to the score prior to this, so I felt the change in mood, and the absence of many thematic connections felt a bit disappointing until the end, where the composer brings some of the themes back.

Minor spoiler but I think it works great that the main theme is absent for most part of the film since Creed is retired from boxing, and isn't brought back until he decides to fight back. Also, Rocky's themes except for a token appearance in the final fight are dropped beacuse of the lack of Stallone's character in the movie.

But Shirley's new material is great and I will listen to the score as soon as I can to try to do a breakdown of the themes, as well as posting my analysis on Creed II. I will leave here the track that plays over the end credits, and which serves as a great summary of Shirley's new material, in a sort of hip-hop arrangement.

Just watched the third film. It's very strong. My favorite film of the year up to this point.

After seeing the film, the score that Shirley composed fits the film very well. Because the film is quite different from the previous 2, the score follows suit.

The score in film is very strong (it helps that it's spotted very well) and I believe most, if not all of the score, is on album.

Shirley is still in the sonic world of Göransson's score but he does his own thing with it, which I really appreciated. 

I really loved the moment when both tge Creed theme by Göransson and Conti's theme appeared at the end. Because they were mostly absent from the film their impact hit even more.

11 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

I leave a track by track breakdown to be able to follow it as you are listening to the soundtrack:

Track by Track Breakdown

Reveal hidden contents

Sure thing! I updated my original post with the track by track breakdown.

Just to start a little bit of conversation, what would yo say it's your favorite score of the three? I would say the first one, because it's the one that I feel better balances the new themes with Conti's ones, and has both emotion and excitement. The biggest thing that draws it back it's the dialogue in some of the tracks, but that's a minor quibble.

But I just love them all so much, because the second one has the Drago theme, and I'm starting to enjoy more and more the third one with each listen, especially the training and fighting tracks.

What I like so much about these 3 scores is that you can clearly hear they belong to the same film series, but they each have something that sets them apart from the others.

Creed does indeed do a great job at interpolating the themes from Conti. And of course the main Creed theme is incredible. Although I feel the boxing scenes are a bit more about tension and less about melody until the final fight comes to it's conclusion.

Creed II I think is my favorite. Mostly because I absolutely adore the Drago theme. And the way it's used in the fight and training scenes is so cool. It's both malevolent and emotional. It's a great theme. And I also feel this is the score which focuses a bit more on Creed's journey and the music follows suit.

Creed III I love because it's so different. The material for Damian is quite aggressive and fits the character really well. But what I like most is the use of the vocals in the score. It adds another dimension to the score and therefor the film. I thought it worked tremendously well in the film.

So all 3 have their own thing which makes them standout but I think 2 is my favorite.

Yeah, for me Drago's theme is on par with the Creed theme for my favorite of this saga, and it was so cool to ehar the little cameo during the training sequence in Creed III.

What I love about three is that, as you mention, the vocals are used in more interesting ways. I mean, choir has been present in both the previous scores, but Joseph Shirely manages to make the vocals so important to many of the themes, and the training montage or the Run It suite are great examples of this, but my favorite bit of the use of choir is in Round 12, which never fails to give me chills.

The Run It Suite track is terrific. Coupled with the final 4-5 tracks this half an hour selection is already worth the price of the album. While some segments of all three albums might be bit too atmospheric for many listeners, the highlights represent some of the best modern scoring out there with impressive thematic development. I've said it before but Creed theme is one of the finest in the past few decades. Can't wait to see the film (hopefully Thursday), I really enjoyed the previous two.

And yes, I was also happy to hear Drago's theme pop up. :)

Karol

The Creed theme variation at 2:57 into “Round 12” of Creed III is probably my favorite variation in the whole trilogy. It’s so satisfying after not hearing the theme most of the film and especially while watching in the theater that statement hit hard.