John Williams interviewed on Who’s Talking to Chris Wallace on CNN, Sunday March 5

aviazn

Very few artists have been in a position to say something like this:

“There’s one thing I would say about working in film, a film like Indiana Jones can take six months. Six months when you’re 91 is a long time. So, you’re asking somebody to make a commitment from what a large percentage of the time, the earthly time you may have left.” —John Williams

I hope more of this gets available, also to us living on the other side of the pond. Not expecting much from any of these short press junket interviews in terms of new information, but a full episode seems to have a potential, at least.

A decent 25 minutes of interview. Some actually interesting questions and JW was on good form, although he does look tired.

He was interviewed last night on CNN. He looks every bit his 91 years. He definitely needs some grooming.

I was in my car when this came on and I was switching channels when i heard his unmistakable voice. His voice is filled with warmth and gentleness. As soon as I got home I screamed to Dave to turn on CNN, John Williams is being interviewed. 

Tom looking 91 is okay he can't control that, but looking disheveled is something he can.

Gosh, I shouldn't have kept my expectations up. That clip from the interview was about as trite as any odd mainstream news interview I've seen and heard in the last 30 years. I thought maybe the extended running time would allow for a little bit of extra perspective, just a tad little tidbit out of the ordinary, but alas. Still, I'd love to see the rest regardless. I believe the whole thing is about 30 minutes.

2 hours ago, Brando said:

He's kept himself pretty busy with interviews lately.

He's done with Indy and therefore done with film scores (at least until Spielberg has a new project or something else grabs his fancy). Perhaps he's bored?

On 06/03/2023 at 10:16 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

He's done with Indy and therefore done with film scores (at least until Spielberg has a new project or something else grabs his fancy). Perhaps he's bored?

He wants to finally cash in the acnowledgment he deserves.

Not to derail this thread.... but aaaaaanyone else raise an eyebrow at the use of the original theatrical print of Star Wars in that interview? No "Episode IV" subtitle. What an interesting choice.... could that mean it's finally coming?

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

It's certainly frustrating. It felt like most questions were setups for Williams to recite anecdotes he's recounted ad nauseam over the years. 

There was a glimmer of intrigue when Wallace asked for a more technical explanation about how he came up with Main Title from Star Wars, but that's about it. 

I wish interviewers would ask about the lesser known scores from time to time. What's the point of an interview that covers the same territory as dozens of existing interviews? It makes me question how much preparation these journalists do.

Yes, they should really have asked the Classic FM guy to do this interview. You know, for a bit of profundity.

These interviews were meant to be as populist as possible for the purposes of winning an Oscar.  Novel and in-depth questions were not only not a goal, it was likely such questions were explicitly to be avoided. 

I don't like it.  it just feels like groveling for an award, and to use my oft-repeated description of late, it just feels beneath his dignity.  And yes, I know that he is voluntarily agreeing to do them...

2 hours ago, bigjimwilson said:

Not to derail this thread.... but aaaaaanyone else raise an eyebrow at the use of the original theatrical print of Star Wars in that interview? No "Episode IV" subtitle. What an interesting choice.... could that mean it's finally coming?

Pulled from YouTube most likely. @Manakin Skywalkerwas telling me it looked like the '06 bonus disc version to his eyes.

3 hours ago, bigjimwilson said:

No. They just showed to him the version that he actually scored.

I just had to smile, when Williams mixed up the attack scene from Jaws of the Kindner boy with the initial attack scene with Chrissie.

I am sure, newer films he scored he would remember better.

They should stop discussing with him these 40+ year old scores over and over again.

10 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

When you just watch this Kind of interviews you get to think, Williams has just scored six movies in his career. Jaws, Star Wars, E.T., Raiders, Schindler's List and Jurassic Park.

He also did CE3K.

Particularly when the examples used are all big themes which remind voters that they already gave him oscars for his classic scores.

That's why, with my 'JW should get another oscar' hat on, I wish this media push were about the finale of Indy because it would be far easier to suggest JW gets one more for the completion of a franchise, much like Shore & co were rewarded for the LotR trilogy as a whole.

Or look at it as a career retrospective award (and he damn well deserves that). But I think that this score alone, taken amongst his collected works, isn't going to have the appeal it needs, unless voters want to celebrate the film more widely.

On 5/3/2023 at 8:58 AM, Thor said:

I hope more of this gets available

14 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You want the C&C release, eh?

I didn’t realize Thor even knew the “M” word.

On 07/03/2023 at 12:02 PM, bigjimwilson said:

Absolutely noticed. I doubt that that's what it means. Although... CNN... Disney... I do wonder where they got the footage from.

Here's a new potential for heartbreak: We will finally get the original films in 4K... But only on Disney+!

Obviously we'll be getting the Ultimate Star Wars Soundtrack Collection soon, though.

2 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

I didn’t realize Thor even knew the “M” word.

What the flucky is the M word?

2 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Absolutely noticed. I doubt that that's what it means. Although... CNN... Disney... I do wonder where they got the footage from.

Here's a new potential for heartbreak: We will finally get the original films in 4K... But only on Disney+!

Obviously we'll be getting the Ultimate Star Wars Soundtrack Collection soon, though.

What the flucky is the M word?

I believe 'More'

Context clues man

On 05/03/2023 at 10:58 AM, Thor said:

I hope more of this gets available, also to us living on the other side of the pond. Not expecting much from any of these short press junket interviews in terms of new information, but a full episode seems to have a potential, at least.

On 07/03/2023 at 1:50 PM, Tom said:

These interviews were meant to be as populist as possible for the purposes of winning an Oscar.  Novel and in-depth questions were not only not a goal, it was likely such questions were explicitly to be avoided. 

I don't like it.  it just feels like groveling for an award, and to use my oft-repeated description of late, it just feels beneath his dignity.  And yes, I know that he is voluntarily agreeing to do them...

You misunderstand how campaigns work. Some talent is definitely desperate to win an Oscar.

We know Williams is not. He does not lack for Oscars. He's supporting the Fabelmans campaign. They want him out there because they maybe see an opening. Every film wants Oscar winner slapped on its cover. Fabelmans looks like its going to win almost nothing, so they are trying everything they can and think Score is a shot for them. Williams is gracious in supporting their efforts.

EDIT: There's a campaign team of 10-15 on major awards film. They make all the decisions about which talent appears where and make all the bookings. It's not like Williams is calling up all these networks and setting up interviews.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

You misunderstand how campaigns work. Some talent is definitely desperate to win an Oscar.

We know Williams is not. He does not lack for Oscars. He's supporting the Fabelmans campaign. They want him out there because they maybe see an opening. Every film wants Oscar winner slapped on its cover. Fabelmans looks like its going to win almost nothing, so they are trying everything they can and think Score is a shot for them. Williams is gracious in supporting their efforts.

EDIT: There's a campaign team of 10-15 on major awards film. They make all the decisions about which talent appears where and make all the bookings. It's not like Williams is calling up all these networks and setting up interviews.

Yes, I get the process.  They are using Williams as a means to awards, including his own.  It just seems at this point in his career and given his stature, he shouldn't even be asked to be on the Late Night press junket.  He is going to feel obligated to say yes because he is a professional, but the man is equivalent to Beethoven in terms of his prominence to his own era.  Having an aged Beethoven on the equivalent of a Late Show to pitch an opera would bother me too.  

I mean asking Williams if these awards are still important to him on a press junket for the awards themselves.  He's a freaking musical genius with very little time left on earth to answer questions of substance, and they spend their time asking him if winning an award would make him happy.  I find it painful, but as always, that might just be my subjective experience shared by few or none.

On 07/03/2023 at 11:02 AM, bigjimwilson said:

8 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I was able to verify that it's just the 2006 bonus DVD footage. Likely an editor just downloaded it from YouTube or something, which is pretty common.