Basil Poledouris' Conan The Destroyer 1984 (2022 Intrada)

Holko

https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12114/.f

Main title sample... yeesh, that performance. Nice that this recording is finally properly released I guess but if I liked the score enough to get it, I'd just stick with the rerecording like I do with Barbarian.

2 hours ago, blondheim said:

Ordered both Destroyer and Barbarian as I said I would 11 years ago when they were both announced.

I’m an advocate for scrappy ensembles so I’m gonna fucking love this. I am also of the belief that every note of Basil’s work should be released, whether we need to re-record it or deal with an inferior ensemble.

I’ll be ordering with a future batch (I have two big orders pending so think I need breathing space!) but looking forward to this too. Much though I can deal with a scrappy but dedicated performance, it is quite the shame that both of his Conan scores were performed and recorded in suboptimal conditions.

1 minute ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I’ll be ordering with a future batch (I have two big orders pending so think I need breathing space!) but looking forward to this too. Much though I can deal with a scrappy but dedicated performance, it is quite the shame that both of his Conan scores were performed and recorded in suboptimal conditions.

It is terrible shame that Basil had to constantly concede and compromise his working conditions. He was severely under-appreciated in his time. He too often still is.

Basil is the ultimate What Could Have Been? film composer. 

On 21/11/2022 at 7:36 PM, thestat said:

Man, Poledouris has become so underappreciated. The Dude used to be a king alongside the three Js (Jerry, John, and James) - he needs to have a massive revival.

6 minutes ago, blondheim said:

It is terrible shame that Basil had to constantly concede and compromise his working conditions. He was severely under-appreciated in his time. He too often still is.

There was a film score documentary in the mid 90s. This one I think: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0322577/fullcredits/cast/?ref_=tt_cl_sm It had all the usual suspects, John, Jerry, Mancini, etc.

And it had Basil. Talking about Conan. I remember talking with a guy the next day and he said "And wow, where did they find the Conan guy? Talk about a one hit wonder. What was he doing in the same show with John Williams?" I didn't know Basil stuff as well as I do now but I at least was able to say "That's the guy that did Hunt for Red October and Robocop!" That settled him down a bit.

21 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Ah… but a THIRD (actually the second of the three) Conan score was written, and BEHOLD — it was recorded in London. ;)

Yavar

I just got a message from the USPS saying my street number is missing from my address and they want 3.00 for a redelivery fee? It doubt it is this Intrada order that I just placed. Maybe my La-La Land Black Friday?

Has this ever happened to anyone before. I double-checked my information and I definitely gave my address to both places. I don’t know what to do. I haven’t ordered anything else so it has to be one of these two. Thoughts? What should I do?

On one hand it’s only three dollars but on the other hand, shipping is already massively expensive. It seems so difficult to order anything nowadays. It really puts me off.

Could be a scam?

wouldnt the usps service just telm you to go to the post office an retrieve the parcel?

I have received false emails and sms supposedly from the spanish post office. 

59 minutes ago, blondheim said:

Yeah he had to put up with 80s orchestral cheapness in the same way as Jerry did but it impacted considerably more important scores in his catalogue. At least he got the LSO for Flesh + Blood and some decent studio orchestras for most of his other scores. I guess he never had the big hits of his contemporaries and ended up scoring Jerry type action movies but without having a long, more experimental career beforehand. I don’t think he flew as much under the radar as some other composers but he definitely deserved much greater exposure. Like Jerry, he never quite had a Spielberg or James Cameron or whomever to boost his profile even if his regular collaborators made fine films! 

9 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Could be a scam?

wouldnt the usps service just telm you to go to the post office an retrieve the parcel?

I have received false emails and sms supposedly from the spanish post office. 

The tracking number is also odd. Is capital US and then 13 digits. Seems like USPS express mail. It’s not the exact same. But when I try to track that number it says that tracking information is not available from this company. I’m not sure what all this means

5 minutes ago, blondheim said:

The tracking number is also odd. Is capital US and then 13 digits. Seems like USPS express mail. It’s not the exact same. But when I try to track that number it says that tracking information is not available from this company. I’m not sure what all this means

LLL and Intrada both email with the correct tracking number when the package ships.

The website it is taking me to isn’t the USPS but sure looks like it. Also, I read about it and it seems like there are scams like this. The USPS doesn’t send links in texts. That’s the clincher

On 22/11/2022 at 12:36 AM, thestat said:

Man, Poledouris has become so underappreciated. The Dude used to be a king alongside the three Js (Jerry, John, and James) - he needs to have a massive revival.

This one ends up very Basil at 2:32 (and I love that he drops the Under Siege 2 theme in there)

It has been years since I've listened to this. Such a great piece

1 hour ago, blondheim said:

The website it is taking me to isn’t the USPS but sure looks like it. Also, I read about it and it seems like there are scams like this. The USPS doesn’t send links in texts. That’s the clincher

Yes, they don’t want $3, they want your credit/debit information.  Definite scam.

On 6/12/2022 at 5:56 AM, blondheim said:

I’m an advocate for scrappy ensembles so I’m gonna fucking love this. 

What a perfect way to describe the appeal!  YES!

I used to watch this on HBO all the time, and saw it before the original.  So growing up, was more familiar with Destroyer than Barbarian.  Can't wait to get this!

• 4 weeks later...

Finally!

20230103_175121.jpg

Now I can listen to both score expansions for the first time back to back. Bought Intrada's expansion of the first one a couple of years ago and completely forgot about it. 😄

Karol

• 3 weeks later...

Do any JWFanners have any feedback on Conan The Destroyer?

I feel like after 10 years of posts hoping for it, nobody's talking about it anywhere now that it's out

I've only heard the main title, but at least for that track, the Prague recording blows the original out of the water. Having never heard the OST or the bootlegs, I imagine I'll stack with the Prometheus.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Do any JWFanners have any feedback on Conan The Destroyer?

I feel like after 10 years of posts hoping for it, nobody's talking about it anywhere now that it's out

I've been enjoying it for a month now, and very much like for the Barbarian, this version sounds so different from the Prometheus recording, it makes it a perfect complement, and it's like going back in time. If you're a fan of this score and a completist, you should own this and the Prometheus album.

I’m not talking about it because the limited number of the Burbs rerelease got me to place my order with LLL, putting Conan on back burner.  Also heard there was a minor QC problem, maybe with the art iirc, so I’m waiting for a corrected batch.  But I’m super duper excited.  I watched Destroyer before the first film thanks to HBO, and so I grew up more familiar with this sequel score. 

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

Are there any passages anywhere on this new set that they didn't re-record for the Prometheus?

Not really but the tracks have different layouts. And again, the orchestration and the mix are so different, sometimes it feels like listening to different tracks

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Jay said:

This is now on digital platforms, and includes the "Sword and Sorcery" suite that was intended to be on the physical CD edition but then left off

Do we know why it was left off the CD?

Interesting situation. Perhaps, Universal/Back Lot wanted this to be digital-exclusive? Either way, the music is available in high resolution and isn't a part of this score anyway. No harm done, you can just buy 4 digital tracks and add them to the album.

Karol

4 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

This release seems to have been taken down, so I guess we have our answer. Maybe.

Glad I got these tracks just in time!

Someone must be in trouble at Universal... I hope it's not Intrada.

Yup, it has disappeared completely. I was about to grab those but the only store I could get them from was not available in the region I am at the moment (I'm on annual leave outside of the UK). Shame.

Karol

Oh ok. I guess then we wait. Perhaps Intrada will include it on a future Universal release...any other Basil titles on Universal that are unreleased and in need of expansion?