The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild

Jay

It's close to the great plateau, in whatever region is south/Southwest of there. The same region with the gerudo  canyon I think.  

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's close to the great plateau, in whatever region is south/Southwest of there. The same region with the gerudo  canyon I think.  

Ok I remember now, I parasailed to it from the plateau fairly early in the game. I think I just shot the ball with an arrow and that pushed it into the dish.

@Disco Stu @mstrox Did you guys find the Zora Helm?  I found it randomly the other night, and its pretty cool, allows you to do a new attack when in water.  I brought all three pieces to the fairy last night and her her upgrade the defense of each piece, though I don't really know why because I'll never wear it in combat, I don't think?

Ended up grabbing the tower of southeast most region last night, with the big desert in it.  After saving on the tower I sailed towards some Shrine I saw, but ended up getting caught in a sandstorm or something; I couldn't even pull up my map to fast travel out to safety, and got killed by a camp full of moblins and bokoblins.  Woops!

I also saw a divine beast wandering around in the desert from the distance, that was so cool looking!  I suppose I should head to the town down there and presumably tackle that beast, I dunno.  I also talked to Impa again last night; If you go talk to her after doing one beast, she puts locations on the map for the other 3 beasts, which is cool.  So maybe I'll do the death mountain area one next?  I dunno.  Either way I need heat protection, but don't have much beyond the three potions that dude gave me in that stable near death mountain.  Maybe I should find heat resistant clothes instead?  Is that a thing that exists in this game?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

@Disco Stu @mstrox Did you guys find the Zora Helm?  I found it randomly the other night, and its pretty cool, allows you to do a new attack when in water.  I brought all three pieces to the fairy last night and her her upgrade the defense of each piece, though I don't really know why because I'll never wear it in combat, I don't think?

Ended up grabbing the tower of southeast most region last night, with the big desert in it.  After saving on the tower I sailed towards some Shrine I saw, but ended up getting caught in a sandstorm or something; I couldn't even pull up my map to fast travel out to safety, and got killed by a camp full of moblins and bokoblins.  Woops!

I also saw a divine beast wandering around in the desert from the distance, that was so cool looking!  I suppose I should head to the town down there and presumably tackle that beast, I dunno.  I also talked to Impa again last night; If you go talk to her after doing one beast, she puts locations on the map for the other 3 beasts, which is cool.  So maybe I'll do the death mountain area one next?  I dunno.  Either way I need heat protection, but don't have much beyond the three potions that dude gave me in that stable near death mountain.  Maybe I should find heat resistant clothes instead?  Is that a thing that exists in this game?

Yeah, I found the Zora Helm at the top of the big waterfall behind the city.  I can't remember if a character told me where to find it or if I read it on one of those stone tablets scattered around Zora's Domain area.

Be careful, there's a difference between "heat resistance" and "fire resistance" in this game.  For Death Mountain you need the fireproof elixir that you got at that stable, but that elixir won't help you in the hot Gerudo desert area.  The elixirs you got at the stable should be enough to get you to the village on Death Mountain, where you can buy the fireproof armor set and never worry about elixirs again.  You'll find heat resistant clothes in the desert area.

It's kinda dumb actually.

OK that makes a lot of sense actually; I fiddled around in some hot areas last night (like one spot with a bunch of ruins, and there's a bunch of balls around you have to put in their homes) and I lost like a half-heart or something if I stayed out in the sun too long (Link was OK in the shade).  I wasn't sure if the "fire resistant" elixirs would help with that so I just let my hearts dwindle and ate some food to replenish.

I don't think any character told me about the Zora Helm; I was just randomly up there shrine hunter and activated magnesis once I found that body of water, as I tend to do with all bodies of water.  And there it was!

Speaking of water, the tower for the Gerudo region was standing in some kind of weird gooey water that it looked like Link would sink into; Activating Magnesis revealed a large amount of metal boxes under the surface so it was easy enough to create a path to the tower.  But there was some treasure chests that Magnesis couldn't lift.  I wonder if there is a Magnesis upgrade that will allow it later, or some kind of way to drain the swamp.  I'll figure it out eventually!

I haven't found the Zora helm - but I was too anxious to move to the next Divine Beast to linger long near the Zoras' Realm.  That is probably my least explored area at this point, actually.

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

I also talked to Impa again last night; If you go talk to her after doing one beast, she puts locations on the map for the other 3 beasts, which is cool.

Basically, what talking to Impa does is reorient your quest to the Divine Beasts.  Anytime you want to see where the beasts are, you can always "pick" the divine beasts quest on the start menu, and those three waypoints will go onto your map (this will save you from going back to Kakariko every time you beat a beast).

The furthest northwest Divine Beast quests is, in my opinion, the easiest one (and provides the most useful Beast power).  But they're all do-able at this point.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

drain the swamp.

I know a guy

Yea I think I heard somewhere that the northern one was good to do first, so even though I've seen the camel one in the desert, I'll probably do the north one first.

And yea, I did wonder if I could have selected the Divine Beast quest and it would have put all the markers on.  No worries, it was nice to talk to Impa anyway and get new dialogue.  I also wanted to visit the great fairy nearby to upgrade my Zora armor, and get another heart container from the statue there.

BTW, how many villages are in the game?  I've only been to two (Kakariko and Hateno).  Of course, I still have 5 entire regions (more than a quarter of the world, really) I haven't stepped foot in yet.

Well, I know you've been to Zora's Domain, I'd count that as a village.  I'd say that you can expect one for each other divine beast.

Namely: 

Spoiler

Rito Village, Goron City, and Gerudo Town

There are two more beside those that I would call villages -

Spoiler

Lurelin Village in the bottom right corner of the map, and the Korok Forest deep in the Lost Woods.

Finally, something I suspect as I progress some non-story missions:

Spoiler

The construction worker from Hateno Village is currently working on something called "Tarry Town" in the center of Lake Akkala - I'm assuming it will function as a village once that side quest is complete.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

BTW, how many villages are in the game?  I've only been to two (Kakariko and Hateno).  Of course, I still have 5 entire regions (more than a quarter of the world, really) I haven't stepped foot in yet.

There are 7 villages in the base game, and there's actually a long sidequest-line to help with the founding/building of a new village, so 8 total.

Neat!

I heard you can buy a house in the game and use it to store weapons, but I haven't come across anything like that.  Every time I think I want to focus more on "beating the game", I end up getting distracting by a million fun things

Made my way into Goron City last night; It was pretty easy, yea.  One thing that completely surprised me was that there would be freaking Guardians along the way!!  There's 2 Ancient Arrows gone (BTW: I had no idea the ancient arrow would one-shot them!  I just figured it would make the fight EASIER, not OVER in 2 seconds!  Wow! Also BTW: I now have this enormous cache of Ancient Springs, Screws, Shafts, Gears......... but still only one FREAKING Core, which is the one I need 3 of to get the Stasis upgrade.  Why do these things constantly drop the other 4 types but never a Core for me?  Am I experience RNG run-bad, or do only certain things have Cores??)

Man, it was tense at the end, as my second potion ran out just when I arrived in the city; I appreciated that talking to Gorons would stop the timer, but I couldn't find the armor shop right away so had to down my third elixir.  Thankfully activated the Shrine nearby and found the Armor shop just in time.  So I bought the heat resistant chest and leg pieces, but couldn't afford the head piece; Should I sell some diamonds, rubys, etc to buy it, or is it not needed?  It seemed like I could just put any 1 of the pieces on and it instantly stopped the death from heat?  So what does having the helmet add?

Yea I mean to post about that over the weekend but forgot.  

This is what I was going to post:

I didn't get many hours in over the weekend, but when I did I was in the Goron City area the whole time.  I found another Shrine nearby, rescued that descendant of the Divine Beast pilot from the top of the abandoned mine, and am now approaching the beast with him.  This is SUCH A COOL SEQUENCE, I love the different ways you have to get past each search drone (I sprinted to cover for one, climbed up and dropped rocks on others, Magnesis's a box into others, etc) - with the extra difficulty of making sure your buddy is not caught either.  The cannon system is super fun too.  This game is great.

I'm glad each has some unique way to approach it; I had no idea after the one in Zora's Domain that they'd all have something like this and it wasn't a one-off.

Question: I picked up a Guardian Sword from a mini Guardian inside a Shrine, and it says "Critical Hit" now in my inventory.  What is that all about?

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Pre-Divine Beast Sequences Ranked!

1. Rudania (Goron)

2. Ruta (Zora)

3. Medoh (Rito)

4. Naboris (Gerudo)

Agreed completely.

Still spent my game time this weekend exploring.  Knocked out a few Shrine quests and side quests, mainly in the Rito region and the mountains on either side - but also in the south central section of the map, with the rainforesty area.  Just trying to fill in some blank spaces on my map with quick-travel points at this moment.

I've explored, what I thought was pretty thoroughly, but dang if I don't keep finding new stables with a bunch of new side quests every time I poke around.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Question: I picked up a Guardian Sword from a mini Guardian inside a Shrine, and it says "Critical Hit" now in my inventory.  What is that all about?

I always just took it as a power of that specific weapon.  Maybe stronger when it's glowing?  Does it stop glowing?  My inventory allotment for swords at this point is usually more powerful than the Guardian Sword, so I rarely pick them up anymore.

I still haven't stepped foot in 5 regions, including all the ones on the western border and the ones that border those in the northern area.

I was in a rain foresty area once, somewhere in the south: Definitely pick up all the "Hearty Durian" I think its called you can find (its a fruit growing on trees).  If you cook one without even adding anything to it, the meal will replenish your health and give you four yellow hearts!  You can sell them for decent coinage too.

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I always just took it as a power of that specific weapon.  Maybe stronger when it's glowing?  Does it stop glowing?  My inventory allotment for swords at this point is usually more powerful than the Guardian Sword, so I rarely pick them up anymore.

But does it mean my first attack with it will be extra good, and then it will return to normal?  Or is it just a more powerful Guardian Sword than usual?  Hmmm.  Eh, I could google it I suppose...

Oh so its like for combos and stuff.  Interesting, thanks!

Since you guys are here:

On 3/31/2017 at 4:45 PM, Jay said:

I bought the heat resistant chest and leg pieces, but couldn't afford the head piece; Should I sell some diamonds, rubys, etc to buy it, or is it not needed?  It seemed like I could just put any 1 of the pieces on and it instantly stopped the death from heat?  So what does having the helmet add?

Me too.  I bought the sets all at once.  I started marking on the map where I found luminous stone ore deposits since it's such an easy way to raise money.

Yea I marked some Luminous Stone areas too.

Speaking of that, hanging out in the Goron area is a good way to make money too, eh?  I keep finding rocks I can blow up for amber, diamond, sapphire, whatever else (a lot of flint and rock salt, too).  Oh, and about that: Is there a way to control the blast better?  Sometimes I blow up a deposit and the stuff I want flies down the cliff and I can't get it!

Woah - I never even thought of that!  Damn!

That explains why I keep finding that Goron weapons and they are called like Stone Smasher and stuff :P

Wow, great work!

I don't even know how many I've done; I never pay attention to the numbers on the load screens.

I've played Breath of the Wild for "over 110 hours" according to my Switch, I've defeated Ganon, I've cleared all 120 shrines, and I still don't want to stop playing.  Going to try for all the sidequests and max out all the armor now!

I believe you only need around 450 seeds to max out all inventory slots; The remaining ~450 seeds are worthless unless you want the game to tell you you hit 100%, or you want the golden poop.

The shrines are my favorite aspect of this game (finding them and clearing them) that I just had to see them all.  The Shrine Quests are probably the most fun I've had in BOTW.

I haven't gotten a chance to play since the weekend and I'm jonesing for a fix

I hadn't seen any articles for a little while, so I was curious where the speed running community had gotten to with Breath of the Wild.  Looks like the current world record is 41 minutes, 53 seconds.  I love watching these now that I've pretty much seen everything the game has to offer.

http://www.speedrun.com/botw

Pretty crazy how good some people are at these games.  

I haven't had a chance to play Zelda in over a week, I miss it

24 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's really crazy to me that they've gotten speed runs with all 4 Divine Beasts completed under 2.5 hours.

Wow haven't heard about that, thats pretty wild.  The approach to each beast alone takes so much time!

Not too shabby!

BTW: Where do I go in my Switch to have it tell me how many hours I've put in?

ZOMG, this is great: How to get a horse up to the Great Plateau!

Finally got a chance to play Zelda again for the first time in a while.  Finished my approach towards the Death Mountain Divine Beast, and made my way through all that.  I figured out 4 of the 5 terminals relatively easily (rotating the whole beast 90 degrees tripped me up a few times!), with the rolling ball one being the coolest.  The 5th took me just forever to figure out!  I saw the door with the opening, I saw their was a torch on the other side, and figured I had to light it.  I tried lighting a torch and sticking it in the whole, I tried shooting a flame arrow at it, I had no idea what to do!  FINALLY I tried just holding my drawn bow out and walked up to the blue flame and it lit my arrow and I was like thank god!

Fighting Fireblight Ganon was way way easier for me than Waterblight Ganon, but I don't know if I stumbled into a way to cheese it?  The first couple attempts, I basically shot him with 5-6 ice arrows and that turned him into his second form.  I had no idea what to do in his second form at first until I realized since he was sucking in everything he might suck in a bomb too and that did it before I died form a later attack.  So for my final run, in his first form I literally just ran up to him with a 50 might weapon (It was called an Edge of Duality or something like that) and just sat there whacking him with it; Everytime he lunged with his sword/axe thing it just missed for whatever reason, so I was ale to literally just stand there swinging the sword repeatedly, and after 5-6 whacks he was in the second form.  Threw a bomb right up and he fell down, where I just ran up to him again and wacked him with the sword until it broke, switched to I think a Guardian Axe for 1-2 more whacks and that was it!  He never even got up and threw his fire bombs at me.  That was it!

I liked the cutscene after because the Gorons are fun and that champion in particular was fun. I liked how he saw his descendant and they had a little moment.

After playing I finally found the screen in the Switch that tells you how many hours you've played; Turns out I'm over 55 hours in with beasts down, and 2-3 regions I haven't even stepped foot in yet (the northeast corner).  Not sure if I should go explore there next, or go into the desert in the south and get that Beast.

Oh, and the new champion power seems neat; I hadn't even realized that I wasn't using ZL for anything yet!  Every single other button has a purpose; Now they all do!