James Newton Howard's Peter Pan (2003) - Now available

Frank Vincent

9 minutes ago, Andy said:

Cool!  I’m not familiar with it but it sounds nice from the trailer. 

I’m gonna guess it’s the flying theme that caught your attention, it’s a great cue.

Another great cue is when Tinker Bell is resurrected 

I liked the movie back then. I haven't watched it since. Not sure I'd like it as much today. But there were some very good ideas, that other adaptations never tackled, I remember.

Like the duality of Peter. We could sense his dark side sometimes and the movie had clever hints showing how he could easily become like captain Hook.

And Wendy was very well written I thought. We could see her at the dawn of transitioning from kid to teenager, with all the sexual awakening that goes with it.

Or maybe I was reading too much into it.

I should try rewatching it.

I was one of the 250 people who actually saw this movie in theaters :lol:. It was the only time I saw it from start to finish and I didn't care for it. I was 10, so I was in a weird phase: too old for this but too young for Return of the King, which also came out during those days.

As for the score, it has some great moments, but overall it's one JNH's lesser fantasy scores. Too whimsical and sparkly too me. Maleficent and Fantastic Beasts 1 had similar colors but were more well balanced.

Ah so this is their JNH. I suspected it might be Disney territory. Hidalgo would have been my other prediction.

I have 15 minutes from the album - it's okay. I don't really go for the themes though, and while his heavily 80s 'flying' theme worked really well in Disney's resort adverts, I've never been entirely sure about it as music.

I'll pass on this, although tbh I'd say that about any of his Disney scores. I find the albums completely sufficient.

49 minutes ago, Holko said:

Maybe they're doing it to undercut LLL's Hook coming in Apri!

Or maybe they are hoping to help the sales of both scores by making both expansions available around the same time!

Peter Pan and Hook in back to back months would be… 

Then Varese joins in with leaving Neverland! And Disney with a Legacy Edition!

This is Universal/Columbia btw, not Disney.

When the film came out, I was 25 years old. Its existence went in one ear and out the other; didn't really gravitate towards children's films then. I think I've seen in later years, but I only got the JNH soundtrack some 5-6 years ago. Quite like it, though. It's right there at the tailend of his most fruitful period.

I'm not 100% sure if I've actually seen the movie. Might've rented it during Netflix's DVD days.

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I was one of the 250 people who actually saw this movie in theaters :lol:. It was the only time I saw it from start to finish and I didn't care for it. I was 10, so I was in a weird phase: too old for this but too young for Return of the King, which also came out during those days.

JNH said in an interview years back that he thought the film didn't find quite find its age range - as you suggest it being a bit 'old' for the youngest kids, but young for the older kids.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm not 100% sure if I've actually seen the movie. Might've rented it during Netflix's DVD days.

JNH said in an interview years back that he thought the film didn't find quite find its age range - as you suggest it being a bit 'old' for the youngest kids, but young for the older kids.

Very Peter Pan. ;)

Karol

Awful film... although a good friend of mine is an extra in it.

Pretty good score. Doesn't quite reach the magic of his Disney trio but it's close.

I adore the themes in this movie but I never listen to the existing CD. OTOH I've come to appreciate JNH more than I used to. I'm sure this is nearly grail level for some folk.

20 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I'm sure this is nearly grail level for some folk.

I'm not sure it's that well esteemed. I can think of many other JNH scores that I reckon most would consider more worthy of expansion.

Hell, there are still some major unreleased JNH scores! My Girl, for example; I would literally stab a baby to get hold of that.

16 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Heh, I saw ROTK when I was 9.

At the movie theater? :o

Where I'm from I wasn't allowed on TTT because I was 9 and it was rated 12+, so my parents couldn't take me despite my love for FOTR. So, with ROTK, which was even darker and more violent, they didn't even try. 

Still, my dad loved to take me and my brothers to every movie he could, so I did catch a lot of non-LOTR kids flicks from that time: Peter Pan, Eddie Murphy's The Haunted Mansion, Brother Bear, that horrible Dr Seuss movie starring Mike Myers... Needless to say, I disliked all of them.

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

At the movie theater? :o

Yup. I remember, because we all jumped at a cut from one of the quieter Frodo, Sam and Gollum + Shelob scenes, back to the Gondor siege.

To make you feel older, I was like around 3 or 4 when the SW SE's came out on VHS, and the SW SE CD was my first Soundtrack, purchased shortly after that time.

I was born one month before Jurassic Park, and my brothers were born when Titanic and SW The Phantom Menace were playing. So a running joke in my family is that we prevented our parents to catch these 90s blockbusters in the movie theater :lol:

Sometimes I kinda wish being born a few years before than I did so that I could watch Jurassic Park, Independence Day, etc., in theaters. I like being a Millenial, but come on, had I been born just a decade before I would've been in the right age to catch JP in theaters.