James Newton Howard's Peter Pan (2003) - Now available

Frank Vincent

I was 28 when I saw Peter Pan.

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Actually, I think it's more than that. The main reason why this movie is so special for many kids my age is because of how psychologically and sexually charged it was for a kids movie.

I mean, movies aimed at children and actually starring children were mostly chaste, like the early Potter movies. But Peter Pan cast its good-looking leads in a movie that was actually about the sexual awakening in children entering adolescence. I was in a Reddit thread about this movie a few days ago, and there were a lot of women who were young girls when it came out that fell in love with Jeremy Sumpter, the boy who plays Peter Pan.

I'm glad I'm not alone having seen the sexual awakening of teenagers and more mature underlayer in the movie.

A movie would likely get a lot of flack if it attempted that nowadays (even if I suspect for disingenuous reasons).

I always did hear the 03 movie was supposed to be the best adaptation of the source material, especially when compared to the Disney flick. I'll admit to being a bit thrown off by the visual style in the first clip that was posted, since I wouldn't have expected something that looked like a storybook in live action. He obviously doesn't have a monopoly on this particular look, but it seems like something Edgar Wright did better with his Scott Pilgrim flick (or at least would make a better fit for what it looks like they're doing).

The score was something I got interested in after someone had posted the Flying track. I imagine it's a bit too simplistic compared to JNH's other fantasy work, but it's just so charming and filled with pathos that I can't help but enjoy it. Admittedly, the full bootleg did take a while for it to click, and some of the themes certainly could've used a bit more variation (at times almost feeling a bit copy and pasted). But going through it again yesterday was enough to convince me to buy this release once it comes out.

It is curious that it isn't Varese tackling the expansion, which would suggest they lost the rights right around the time the score was taken off streaming. Would it be UME then that'd put the OST back up if it were to happen? It's a well known enough score with at least Flying that it'd be strange if it remains down for the time being.

On 11/03/2023 at 4:42 PM, FrankV said:

Hopefully the adult choir on "Fairy Dance" is included on this release.

Is that not what is on the FYC? I always was curious on what it exactly was, since it feels like an alternate version of the OST in a way (with one track being swapped out for a another).

34 minutes ago, Steffromuk said:

I'm glad I'm not alone having seen the sexual awakening of teenagers and more mature underlayer in the movie.

Exactly, which is why many girls had their first crush on this movie's Pan. This is why I suspect a movie like this would never be made today.

Admittedly, in the internet age, they can just find their celebrity crushes online (alongside other, less appropriate things if their parents aren't careful), so I guess it's just a matter of movies no longer being an avenue for that.

Actually, who even qualifies as a teenage heartthrob these days? I may be gen Z, but I've definitely gotten out of the loop on parts of culture if I couldn't tell you much of what the radio plays currently.

Will this set contain lots of unreleased stuff on top of the FYC/OST combined?

I know basically nothing about this score - just getting an idea of how 'big' this is from those for whom it's a really important release.

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Sometimes I kinda wish being born a few years before than I did so that I could watch Jurassic Park, Independence Day, etc., in theaters. I like being a Millenial, but come on, had I been born just a decade before I would've been in the right age to catch JP in theaters.

Seeing Jurassic Park in theaters is my earliest memory.  

This was kind of the "Crimson Tide" of it's time for a little while. Used in lots of trailers. I seem to recall someone was using it for a studio logo for a bit? Of course it didn't found a musical empire the way Crimson Tide did.

12 hours ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Heh, I saw ROTK when I was 9.

I was 11 when it came out. Saw the extended edition when I was 12. Didn’t see the theatrical til many years later.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Will this set contain lots of unreleased stuff on top of the FYC/OST combined?

I know basically nothing about this score - just getting an idea of how 'big' this is from those for whom it's a really important release.

I only know of one alternate for "Peter Returns" (two if you count "Fairy Dance" with less choir that was on the original album), but maybe there's more. The score is about 100 minutes long, so there's room om de CD for extras.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

I forgot my favorite joke from the film. When Hook walks up to a Fairy and whispers "I DON'T believe in fairies" and the little guy drops over dead.

That sounds so funny.

15 hours ago, Andy said:

I’ll be 52 this Summer. 

I'll be 54 in December...

I went to see Peter Pan at a preview screening before its British theatrical release...  I was taken with the music and Rachel Hurd-Wood. (Until I learned she was only 13) The movie was charmless.

On 13/3/2023 at 5:05 AM, HunterTech said:

Actually, who even qualifies as a teenage heartthrob these days? I may be gen Z, but I've definitely gotten out of the loop on parts of culture if I couldn't tell you much of what the radio plays currently.

Kpop guys mostly, I believe.

It's a new upload, I couldn't tell you if the video is the same as before or not, because the original upload was set to Private before I ever saw it

It looks like a new video to me, watching it now. I don't seem to remember that many film clips, nor the ad for watching the film at the end of it.

Wow those covers are atrocious. I'm so sad to realize that Photoshop covers have IMPROVED in 20 years.

I'm listening to the original album right now. The standouts are still the standouts. But I'm also enjoying the JNH-ness of it more than I used to. Solid score. Fairy Dance is wonderful. But there is some bits of A Note From the Teacher that stood out to me more than before.

What the hell is that blue outline... nice generic Trajan Pro again.

And the second one's just a total visual mess. The bottom makes it so obvious that it's just a bigger picture lazily reframed. Also how the hell can you make her look this bad? (This last one's on the poster designer, not Kay)

Also "ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK EXPANDED EDITION" is such an unwieldy phrase and a weird way to describe it.

I do like the samples though.

I wonder where Peter Returns (Alternate) is on this assembly? It was in the recording session leak.

And yet the Intrada is 8 minutes longer than the session leak, probably thanks to that extended End Title/Credits suite.

Given this breakdown, there's a good possibility the end credits suite kills two birds with one stone by including both alts in it. I'm not sure why they couldn't have just included the cues by themselves, but since they are out there in discrete form anyway, it's not something I'm particularly bothered by.

I've been recently using this cover for my copy of the leak (which switches out the album sourced cues with their FYC equivalents where applicable), for which I can't remember who made it:
vz0i9Em.jpg

I did make my own cover of the teaser poster a few years ago, which is serviceable enough:
PP-1.png

I'm astonished at how much music there is here! Particularly considering there's no bonus section. I still highly doubt I'll buy this as I never really got into the album, but enjoy!

I don't agree at all that the 2nd cover is a 'mess' - I rather like how it focuses on the main characters and nicely darkens the bottom to allow the credit - it's like the supporting cast are looking in awe at JNH's name.

So on the Peter Pan score-o-meter, where does this one sit compared to JW's Hook, JP's Pan and JM's Return to Neverland? I'm familiar with the flying theme and not much else.

Had a skim of the expanded score on YouTube and the problem for me is the constant switching between solid fantasy material and generic mickey-mousing, the latter of which is amongst my least favourite areas of JNH's work.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Had a skim of the expanded score on YouTube and the problem for me is the constant switching between solid fantasy material and generic mickey-mousing, the latter of which is amongst my least favourite areas of JNH's work.

There is a kind of "antics" music that is in this, King Kong, and Atlantis (and I'm sure others but oddly I don't think is in Dave) that I just figure it is what it is. Some days I skip it and others I just muddle through.

15 hours ago, FrankV said:

peter-pan-2003-front-2.jpg

Clearly the concept "less is more" is lost on some designers.

And yeah, I know this is based on a Bluray cover, but that doesn't make it any less hideous. What's with the obnoxious sharpening and ugly rock texture around the edges? Not to mention the awkward cropping at the bottom.

8 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Given this breakdown, there's a good possibility the end credits suite kills two birds with one stone by including both alts in it. I'm not sure why they couldn't have just included the cues by themselves, but since they are out there in discrete form anyway, it's not something I'm particularly bothered by.

I've been recently using this cover for my copy of the leak (which switches out the album sourced cues with their FYC equivalents where applicable), for which I can't remember who made it:
vz0i9Em.jpg

I did make my own cover of the teaser poster a few years ago, which is serviceable enough:
PP-1.png

These are great fan covers! Nice work!

35 minutes ago, FrankV said:

And look at this. What have they done?

peter-pan-2003-error.jpg

hahahahaha you can see a line where she just copypasted part of the picture to possibly cover up some things but then gave it up? I hope Doug didn't do the assembly because Kay's covers perfectly reflect his work ethic and attention to detail.

Every new Intrada release comes with mistakes in the cover art. Kay Marshall will never cease to surprise us!

We should start a new poll and try to guess what she's gonna ruin on the upcoming Solo CD cover.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

hahahahaha you can see a line where she just copypasted part of the picture to possibly cover up some things but then gave it up? I hope Doug didn't do the assembly because Kay's covers perfectly reflect his work ethic and attention to detail.

Feels like they are just trolling us at this point.

I remember a few years back that Roger was seriously puzzled when I asked if they would consider posting high-res (as in larger than 600x600) art.