James Newton Howard's Peter Pan (2003) - Now available

Frank Vincent

Interesting to read the information about the end credits suite. I guess the filmmakers loved the version of "Fairy Dance" in the end credits so much that they also used it for the scene.

There's a noticeable volume dip about 1:23 into Flying track. Can anyone else hear that? It wasn't like that on the old album. Is this supposed to sound like that? Don't mean to gripe, just curious.

In any case, I really like this score, it's one of my favourites from JNH that came out during this composer's finest writing period (1999-2006). While it is more breezy and carries less weight than Hook, it's nonetheless quite a charming and colourful entry that never fails to lift my mood. The ideal album for this would have been longer than the OST but shorter than this new expansion from Intrada. Still, I can always just create my own version so no harm done.

Karol

38 minutes ago, crocodile said:

There's a noticeable volume dip about 1:23 into Flying track. Can anyone else hear that? It wasn't like that on the old album. Is this supposed to sound like that? Don't mean to gripe, just curious.

I can hear it too. This whole track sounds pretty different on the OST too, different mastering, maybe different performance also?

Just heard the score today.

For some reason, this score was never one of my favorite JNHs... until today. I still think some of the mickeymousing may be too silly, but that is compensated by some truly wonderful moments that rank among Howard's best. Flying and Fairy Dance are probably two of the best cues he wrote.

I truly think from Waterworld in 1995 (or maybe Wyatt Earp in 94) until Lady in the Water and Blood Diamond in 2006 is the best period of JNH's career and one of the best runs for any film composer in history, kinda like Williams between 1975 and 1984. In this period, we got his Kevin Costner epics, Shyamalan collaborations, Disney animations, romantic comedies like My Best Friend's Wedding, Runaway Bride, America's Sweethearts, and also Snow Falling on Cedars, The Emperor's Club, Peter Pan, Hidalgo, King Kong... There was some boring stuff in-between (like Dreamcatcher), but still, it was an amazing period for him.

Can anyone who received their copy say if the back cover matches the one on the website for CD2? 

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Can anyone who received their copy say if the back cover matches the one on the website for CD2? 

Why would it differ? :P

I never saw this PETER PAN film. But if it comes recommended, I will seek it out.  Therefore, equally curious about the score. The presentation looks ideal, of course!

7 hours ago, Amer said:

I never saw this PETER PAN film. But if it comes recommended, I will seek it out.  Therefore, equally curious about the score. The presentation looks ideal, of course!

Important to remember is it’s a kids movie, so there are parts that are corny, but it follows the original story pretty well. Jason Isaac’s portrayal as Hook is really good. You can’t beat Dustin Hoffman IMO but Isaac does a great job.

I've listened to the expansion today and I was again struck by the ability of JNH to avoid melodies at any cost. When we have a sentence of a melodious combination of 5 successive notes, it always sounds like if a miracle is happening. :P

I've never been super impressed by JNH. I really like King Kong, but that's about it. I have no memory of this movie coming out (I was in high school, might be why) but the samples sound great. I've always criticized his orchestration as being Schumann-esque, but what I've heard so far makes me wonder what's happened the last decade or so. His new stuff doesn't sound this colorful. I think I'll try and get this.

23 hours ago, Brando said:

Important to remember is it’s a kids movie, so there are parts that are corny, but it follows the original story pretty well. Jason Isaac’s portrayal as Hook is really good. You can’t beat Dustin Hoffman IMO but Isaac does a great job.

I love Hoffman but IMO Isaacs does beat him. And I love how he gets the dual role in the film, also playing Mr. Darling as many actors did for years in stage adaptations of Peter Pan.

Yavar

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I love Hoffman but IMO Isaacs does beat him. And I love how he gets the dual role in the film, also playing Mr. Darling as many actors did for years in stage adaptations of Peter Pan.

Yavar

Isaacs is the only thing I remember at all. And not as well as I should.

12 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

I've never been super impressed by JNH. I really like King Kong, but that's about it. I have no memory of this movie coming out (I was in high school, might be why) but the samples sound great. I've always criticized his orchestration as being Schumann-esque, but what I've heard so far makes me wonder what's happened the last decade or so. His new stuff doesn't sound this colorful. I think I'll try and get this.

he probably gets told to tone it down

• 1 month later...