Indiana Jones is better than everything

Jay

13 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Short Round also used some martial arts on a few Thuggee in ToD, so it wouldn't be out of nowhere for the character either.

Darth, is there something wrong with what I wrote here?

Living up the Thug life

It's the big Thuggee dream

For those who wish to scheme

Those who wish to scream

Must put aside the vegetarian

Eat monkey brains like a fat barbarian

The infiltration 

The Mola Ram team!

6 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Darth, is there something wrong with what I wrote here?

No, I just tend to react with the Thinking emojii when it’s new information I haven’t considered before (been a long ass time since I last saw ToD and have only seen it once)

• 2 weeks later...

The transitions in and especially back out of the March are splendid.  Into the Slave Children theme for “I understand its power now” and then the cheerful transition back to the March for Willie’s conversation with Jones are just jubilant. 

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

I really, REALLY wish he had included it on the original OST LP; I would have dropped 3 minutes elsewhere to include all this in the final track instead of just the first 12 seconds and then jumping forward to the end credits.

Which means OST die hards never heard this legendary cue outside of the movie ;)

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

I really, REALLY wish he had included it on the original OST LP; I would have dropped 3 minutes elsewhere to include all this in the final track instead of just the first 12 seconds and then jumping forward to the end credits.

They could have dropped 'The Temple of Doom" from the OST. Not only never liked it, as a young teenager it made me feel quite uneasy. Luckily it was the first track on the second LP side, so easy to skip.

Looking at hte OST LP's tracklist, the only way I can see to make room for the full Return to The Village, is to cut about 3 minutes out of Nocturnal Activities, or drastically shorten the end credits.

But really this score deserved to be a double-LP, just like CE3K and Jedi should have been as well

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

cut about 3 minutes out of Nocturnal Activities, or drastically shorten the end credits.

Go Away GIF

I would’ve sacrificed Children in Chains.  But even that has important minor key statements of the Slave Children theme. 

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

They could have dropped 'The Temple of Doom" from the OST. Not only never liked it, as a young teenager it made me feel quite uneasy. Luckily it was the first track on the second LP side, so easy to skip.

I’ll admit, it’s the track that gets the most reaction from the rest of the people living in your house.   But it is a nightmarish masterpiece of percussion and choir. 

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

But really this score deserved to be a double-LP just like CE3K and Jedi should have been as well

And Raiders and E.T. 

39 minutes ago, Brando said:

But the vocals are incredible!!

I don't mind or even embrace having the track on a 77 minutes album program. But on an album, that was hardly 40 minutes I would have prefered something else. Like Jay said, these 80s scores would have deserved a double album.

Unpopular opinion: I've never been a fan of the sacrifice cues from ToD either. While I'm not entirely against "demonic chanting" in horror scores (some of my favorite are Goldsmith's The Omen and Don Davis' House on the Haunted Hill), but the Sanskrit Sacrifice in ToD just rubs me the wrong way. So I have no problem skipping them.

I listen to a score like Temple of Doom to have fun, not to be haunted by those creepy voices! Lol But I do recognize their artistry.

I almost always skip the sacrifice cues as well.  They don't add much of an experience to me, it's not that I find them annoying, but its mostly cause there's so many amazing cues waiting beyond it.

If i do ever listen to them it's because i'm zoned out at work and forgot.

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's the problem, every cue on the OST is an important one!

The problem is that every cue not on the OST is an important one too!

36 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I listen to a score like Temple of Doom to have fun, not to be haunted by those creepy voices!

But it's such a fun kind of creepy!

It's a good track to play on its own, apart from the program.  Just as an experimental piece of music.  It's not meant to be pleasant!  It's not the Temple of Joy!

The unreleased choral bits when Mola Ram gives his speech to Jones are pretty awesome.

But seriously, how the hell did Laurent Bouzerau, as even a passing enthusiast, allow the March into the complete End Titles go unreleased on the Concord set?  That whole finale is a triumph.

Easy - disc 2 of the set is just all 11 tracks straight off the album master, with 13 additional cues added in between them in the form of 11 new tracks.

Disc 5 was a last minute addition to the box where random cues were thrown onto, including Return To The Village as it was recorded with its clean ending

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's great to listen to while sacrificing stuff!

I should've joined a fraternity in college for the sole purpose of using it on the new pledges.

That drawn out high pitch wail that finishes out the track.... Is that supposed to be...?

Willie Scott?

The first sacrifice losing his mind?

Mola Ram gettin' into it?

A random worshipper possessed by Kali?

6 hours ago, Bellosh said:

I almost always skip the sacrifice cues as well.  They don't add much of an experience to me, it's not that I find them annoying, but its mostly cause there's so many amazing cues waiting beyond it.

If i do ever listen to them it's because i'm zoned out at work and forgot.

You don't render out your entire work playlist as a single audio track that's timed to precisely match the time between your breaks?

I think the extra percussion and choral bits are terrifyingly cool. That's one of the highlights for me. Also, the released portion of Sanskrit Sacrifice turns 40 next month!

I don't know, I (usually) like demonic chanting in horror scores, especially stuff like The Omen or Hellraiser. But in ToD, which is supposed to be a "fun" action score filled with adventure, it gets a little jarring. 

In other words, when I listen to Temple of Doom I like to listen to the action cues and the adventure, so I'm not in the right mindset for something as horrific as Sanskrit Sacrifice.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I don't know, I (usually) like demonic chanting in horror scores, especially stuff like The Omen or Hellraiser. But in ToD, which is supposed to be a "fun" action score filled with adventure, it gets a little jarring. 

In other words, when I listen to Temple of Doom I like to listen to the action cues and the adventure, so I'm not in the right mindset for something as horrific as Sanskrit Sacrifice.

I always have to mute the audio in the scene where Mola Ram grabs Indy's breast because the chanting is too scary

7 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I always have to mute the audio in the scene where Mola Ram grabs Indy's breast because the chanting is too scary

That's a portion of an action cue, not a full cue.

Those of us who leave out Sanskrit Sacrifice already know that that's where the chanting in Broken Bridge comes from; we just don't wanna have to listen to three or four minutes of it every time we listen to this score!

3 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

That's a portion of an action cue, not a full cue.

Those of us who leave out Sanskrit Sacrifice already know that that's where the chanting in Broken Bridge comes from; we just don't wanna have to listen to three or four minutes of it every time we listen to this score!

I feel like it's essential to the character of the score.  How JW brings all these disparate styles into a cohesive whole.  

On 1/6/2021 at 8:42 AM, Amer said:

The only thing that riles me about the Sanscript chants are the western performers- it still sounds like a westerner is trying to emulate the sound in their own western accent trying hard to be as accurate possible. Its a common problem when Hollywood tries to do the same for most Russian choral texts in scores. Such as the Hymn from HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER which my Russain speaking friends can barely makout what those lyrics are even saying.

I cant make out exactly what they are chanting throughout in Sanskrit in 'Temple of Doom' cue but I do recognise some wordings which make sense:

"Tum Hum saey mangta, Hum Tum se Mangta " which is (Sacrafice) "That which you want from us, And What we want from you" 

the rest are chanting "Mola Ram Sudh Ram, Jai Ram, Jai Ram" etc

Does anyone have the cue's acual score sheet? 

Jay replied that the score sheet has leaked for decades.  Anyone have just the lyrics?