What's your favourite James Bond spoof cues?

Jurassic Shark

11 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

All of Johnny English by Ed Shearmur. It even has a great spoof (albeit fairly straight laced) Bond song performed by Robbie Williams. The follow up by Ilan Eshkeri is decent but not as good as Shearmur's.

Highlights, please!

George S. Clintons' Austin Powers is quite good too.

Some of my favorites (not all is persee a spoof. It's also 'inspired' by the Bond sound)

Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard

Spoiler

Kingsman

Spoiler

The Incredibles

Spoiler

Johnny English

Spoiler

Not a fan of Bond or Bond music in general, but I do dig Goldenthal's take on the sound in the early student film A FISTFUL OF FANTASIES from the late 70s (go to 4:38). Also includes his take on the Morricone spaghetti western sound.

On 17/03/2023 at 1:24 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

There's one they used to use in the Simpsons when anything vaguely 'Bondy' was happening. I liked it. 

I know the exact one you're talking about, it makes me laugh every time

5 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

I know the exact one you're talking about, it makes me laugh every time

Close enough for recognition, but not close enough for legal action. lol. 

I think probably my favourite use of it was when Homer used a 'gadget' (taken from a case embossed with 'H J S') to suck out the middle of a wedding cake. 

Damn, I miss when the show was funny.  

On 18/3/2023 at 3:57 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Not a spoof, pre se (and no-one would accuse Hamlisch of apeing another composer, I'm sure), but... "The Tanker" really does sound Barry-esque.

It does, and that bit (along with similar cues) remains the best part of the score. Right after JW not doing all the Harry Potter films, John Barry not scoring The Spy Who Loved Me (my favourite Bond film) remains the biggest scoring missed opportunity for me. Though I'll concede Hamlisch's score does have a certain charm to it.

There used to be a fan edit on Youtube that had parts of The Spy Who Love Me redone using Barry cues (mostly from Moonraker) that was pretty good.

Biggest Bond missed scoring oppo for me was Barry not doing it one last time (or even Arnold being brought in 1 movie sooner) with Goldeneye. That movie needed a big, bold, 'n' brassy 'It's been 6 years, the Cold War is over and PC has come along ... but fear not, BOND. IS. BACK!' score.  

16 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Biggest Bond missed scoring oppo for me was Barry not doing it one last time (or even Arnold being brought in 1 movie sooner) with Goldeneye. That movie needed a big, bold, 'n' brassy 'It's been 6 years, the Cold War is over and PC has come along ... but fear not, BOND. IS. BACK!' score.  

Eric Serra... "I know what this needs, let me grab my synthesiser!"

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

No love for GOLDENEYE, Sweep?

I think that Éric Serra's score fits that particular film, perfectly. It's a score that is so anachronistic, for Bond, but, somehow, accompanies the first of the digital age Bonds, well.

Having said that, the guys at EON fell on their feet, when they found Arnold :)

Not much, no ... the fact that another composer had to be brought in to rescore the tank chase to include the Bond theme is pretty damning, really. Plus the music during the Ferrari chase is more akin to something from a video game, not the return of cinema's premier action-adventure franchise. And the end credits song is horrible, insipid crap. 

At least Tina Turner's song is well up to scratch (of course it is, Bono and the Edge wrote it). And the Parodi and Fair Bond theme in the trailer kicks ass.   

Having watched GoldenEye for the first time a few months ago, I agree that the movie could've been much better either with a David Arnold or a John Barry score. Even Michael Kamen could've done a more appropriate job. Sorry, Bond diehards and Eric Serra enthusiasts.

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

No, no. Don't mince words, Sweep, tell us what you really think.

In terms of a Bond end-credits romantic ballad, If There Was A Man from TLD gets it right. Chrissie Hynde blows Serra's weedy warbling out of the water.  

On 23/03/2023 at 1:22 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

No love for GOLDENEYE, Sweep?

I think that Éric Serra's score fits that particular film, perfectly. It's a score that is so anachronistic, for Bond, but, somehow, accompanies the first of the digital age Bonds, well.

Having said that, the guys at EON fell on their feet, when they found Arnold :)

Well said! This was a score and film for me. I didn't grow up with Bond films (I think I saw bits and bobs on the telly or VHS in the 80s; wasn't my cuppa tea, even as a kid), I've never really liked any of Barry's efforts (again another sacrilege, I know, per the VERTIGO thread!), and GOLDENEYE was my first proper Bond film that I saw in the theatre. It also helped that I was and is a HUGE Serra fan. So everything lined up perfectly here. Including the awesome Tina Turner song.

As a Bond non-fan, it's interesting that I think various Bond sound approximations are more rewarding to me than the actual origin. For example, I dig Arnold's stuff very much.

I'd agree, @Thor, but I would say that, Arnold is not an approximation.

Aside from The Guv'nor, he is the sound of Bond, and not any kind of imitation.

Martin; Hamlisch; Conti; Legrand; Kamen; Serra; Newman: they all have merit, but our Dave is a cut above.

He was recommended by Barry, himself, and recommendations don't come any better than that.