Orchestral music vs. film music vs. orchestral film music

GerateWohl

Sorry, this text is quite unstructured. But I try to capture a thought that went through my head recently.

I used to see myself as a fan of motion picture scores for many many years. Even though I listen to all different kinds of music apart from movies like pop music, rock music, sometimes a little jazz, soul, hard core, metal, classical music you name it. In each of these genres I am quite selective with what I like and what I don't like. To some of these genres I was pointed by a film score, sometimes other circumstances. That brings me slowly to the point I want to make.

Film music in itself does not really seem to be a musical genre. It uses musical genres for its purpose to illustrate a movie musically. So, in a way film music seems to be some kind of catalyst for me for music I might like or not.

The aspect of illustrating pictures by music is a secondary one. So why do soundtrack fans often draw a clear line between songs used as score like Tarantino does and instrumental scores? Film music is film music is music played in movies no matter what music it is.

Secondly, I don't like all music. I driven to motion picture scores by film scores in the 80s like Star Wars, E.T., The Black Hole, Clash of the Titans, Superman etc. That pointed me to classical music and even pop and rock music using orchestra in particular. 

With the time I got more interested in more minimal kinds of music like new wave and rock music that could express moods and feelings that this orchestral music was not capable of. That also influenced my taste in film music. 

And I found, what makes music for me interesting are not necessarily the instruments but certain qualities music can have, like how essembles from orchestras to bands play together and become more than the sum of their parts, but also qualities like unique recongisable tunes that stick in your head, interesting variations and development of musical ideas etc.
To songs in addition come the lyrics that add a major value to the music.

But apart from that my criteria for music I like are more or less universal across all genres and types of music that I listen to. BUT - and now comes my main point - in the context of film scores I often find myself in a position asking myself, why am I listening to this? Yes, it is a score, but it so obviously is not a music I like. It does not fulfill any criterion for me what makes music interesting in any way. 

That more and more brings me to the question: Am I still a soundtrack fan? In the meantime I think, I can clearly answer that question with NO.
Is film music an important catalyst for me to find music I like?
YES.

So, I rather see myself as a fan of certain kind of orchestral and other music.

And a John Williams fan I am anyway. And he just writes great music in many genres in and outside the movies.
So, he represents in many ways what I want to explain here with that text.

And if I would be as open with pop or rock music like I am with scores, I would listen to a lot of crap, which I don't. So, I think, I should rather treat film music like all the other music that I deal with and be a little more selective and true to my taste. It might be natural and obvious for you. But for me I found that I sometimes have to push me back on track.

How do you others see yourself in that regard? 
Similar thoughts or completely different?

Do you also find yourself thinking "Why should I even listen to that? Just because it is a score?"

Well said, @GerateWohl. Personally, I only purchase soundtrack albums I like, or that I'm curious about and think I will like. If I don't find it worth keeping, I either sell it or give it away.

However, in the last few years I've purchased some albums of previous decades I've earlier dismissed, probably because my taste gradually changes, but also because albums are going OOP more quickly now. Another reason is when comparing to the scores of today, you realize there's a wealth of potentially good scores of the past that should be investigated further.

You ask some good questions, Geratewohl, questions that I think most of us film score fans have asked ourselves over the years.

You're definitely right that film music isn't a genre, but an amalgam of different genres. It's "Gebrauchsmusik", as you say in Germany, and can take all shapes and forms - for better or worse.

My path into soundtracks is kinda opposite to yours. I was first very much into prog rock and instrumental electronic music until I realized, ca. 1990, that soundtrack albums had some of the same conceptual qualities I dug from those genres. And it didn't only have to be scores in a rock or electronic style. Since I was also a big fan of those "LSO Plays Classic Rock" albums from the late 80s and early 90s, I was starting to enjoy orchestral music which I had previously disliked somewhat through my father's immense classical collection and listening. So it was very much a natural segueway.

Beyond that, I've asked myself why I've been so attracted to soundtracks. After all, I want the albums to be concise and arranged for maximum listening pleasure, just like those non-film concept albums, so it can't be on a structural level in its most raw form. Rather, I think it has something to do with 'emotional directness' within the cues themselves. That is, because the music in a scene has to get to the emotional or thematic core quicker - without the, at times, longwinded detours that a lot of ornamentation in classical music does -- it immediately appealed to me. Of course, post-film music-interest, I've come to embrace classical music too, but not on the same level.

Not sure any of this answered your queries, but some random thoughts related to the whole meta perspective of "why we like".

The only area of film music over which I lament at the moment is when directors decide they want a more droning, RCP-flavoured score, and don't want any themes, but (this is the crucial bit) they still want original music. Why bother? There's enough pre-existing 'atmospheric' music out there that you don't need a composer to come up with another drone or percussion beat - just search through some libraries.

Now maybe I'm judging that wrong, and perhaps after a composer has done an exhausting orchestral masterpiece they rather like the task of trying to improve a film with a more textural approach. However, I'm certainly in the camp that would prefer composers worked on projects that were musically interesting.

Having said that, I like, for example, much of Bishara's horror work, despite quite a lot of that literally just being 'noise'. It provides work for a composer who must get something out of it, but the films don't need it.

Although I got into scores via electronic music and I certainly got attached to production music  way, way before any indications that I was into soundtracks. This no doubt explains why I tend to like a lot of electronic or atmospheric-driven scores.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Rather, I think it has something to do with 'emotional directness' within the cues themselves. That is, because the music in a scene has to get to the emotional or thematic core quicker - without the, at times, longwinded detours that a lot of ornamentation in classical music does -- it immediately appealed to me. Of course, post-film music-interest, I've come to embrace classical music too, but not on the same level.

That is an interesting point, that also explains to me, if a score neither attracts me directly in an emotional way, nor does trigger any intellectual buttons, why should I pay any attention to it anyway.

My query was basically, if anyone else has the feeling that he or she should be more selctive with film scores, because usually you do it with any other music you listen to as well. Nobody buys records of band that one has no connection or doesn't particularly like just because it is in the same genre as bands you like.

As I don't have the burdon like you to deal with this music professionally, which requres a certain openness, and I just deal with it for my private enjoyment. And I found myself taking different mesures here and there, thinking "This is a score, so potentially something I like".

But meanwhile I say, no. The simple fact that this is a film score says neither that I potentially like it nor that it is something of a certain quality. There is such dumb musicand as a music listener I don't care, that this might support a movie in a special way, because when I listen to it, I don't have that context and the music must stand on its own.

And I want to get impressed by music. Not less.

If it doesn't manage to do so, why deal with it?

Of course I had also the experience, that there was music, that I was not very interested in, but a fan or connoisseur managed to explain to me what is interesting or special or particularly good about this or that music.

But here come two other things into play.

The one, that you know from our separate discussion, where I expressed my disappointment with the explanations and expositions of so called experts about filmscores.

And the other thing is, that with age and experience and the conciousness that listening time is precious time, you experience less and less completely new surprises musically.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

However, in the last few years I've purchased some albums of previous decades I've earlier dismissed, probably because my taste gradually changes, but also because albums are going OOP more quickly now. Another reason is when comparing to the scores of today, you realize there's a wealth of potentially good scores of the past that should be investigated further.

Good points. Same situation for me. But somehow I have a stomach feeling, that there will come a time in the not too far future, where all my carefully picked physical releases will become obsolete by some technical or economical development and it all will be available in a much more attractive and cheaper way. And I am not just talking about streaming.

But I don't know. We will see.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

That is an interesting point, that also explains to me, if a score neither attracts me directly in an emotional way, nor does trigger any intellectual buttons, why should I pay any attention to it anyway.

Yeah, that particular point said nothing about musical styles one is attracted to. It was more a general point about film music's nature that makes it an appealing musical form (compared to classical music, for example), even when it's divorced from its images.

My query was basically, if anyone else has the feeling that he or she should be more selctive with film scores, because usually you do it with any other music you listen to as well. Nobody buys records of band that one has no connection or doesn't particularly like just because it is in the same genre as bands you like.

To that last point: I actually do explore bands and composers and artists I'm not familiar with, as long as I know they're in a genre or style I like. For example, I've spent a great deal of time in the last few years plunging the depths of synthwave after I first latched on to a couple of composers I liked. I wanted to see if there was more of that out there. And there was.

As for the other point, I consider myself very selective in terms of film music, even if my taste is very broad. Sometimes, my taste is informed by non-film music passions. For example, I dig electronic scores that are in the same style as my non-film music electronic music passions. But other times, it's the other way around. My exposure to modernistic scores like POTA or ALTERED STATES led to exploration and appreciation of non-film music modernism, like Ligeti, Penderecki, Stockhausen etc. It's all a continual exchange, this way and that way. Since film music is such a dynamic form of music, it can be used both as a platform to discover new things, and a place to find things you already like from elsewhere.

The 'curation', if you could call it that, comes in the form of more general likes and dislikes, at this particular point in time (my taste has changed a bit over the years): I don't veer much towards the big, symphonic action scores these days, unless they're from my formative years and before. I don't veer much towards the drone stuff, unless there are interesting things happening inside the drones. That kind of stuff. Vice versa, I veer more towards calmer scores, smaller or alternative ensembles, finely tuned orchestral drama scores, electronic scores, pop-infused scores etc. etc. That's how I navigate in film music land. Not really by genre, but by certain features, I suppose.

Of course I had also the experience, that there was music, that I was not very interested in, but a fan or connoisseur managed to explain to me what is interesting or special or particularly good about this or that music.

The one, that you know from our separate discussion, where I expressed my disappointment with the explanations and expositions of so called experts about filmscores.

And the other thing is, that with age and experience and the conciousness that listening time is precious time, you experience less and less completely new surprises musically.

This is really a whole other topic you bring up. How much does other people's opinions matter in your own evaluation of something? I do read film and film music reviews sometimes, but the greatest pleasure is of course to discover gems all on your own. It rarely happens that someone convinces me to like something I don't like or the other way around, even if it's a reviewer or person whose opinions I tend to share or respect. But it might help me fill in some extra context for said like or dislike.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well said, @GerateWohl. Personally, I only purchase soundtrack albums I like, or that I'm curious about and think I will like. If I don't find it worth keeping, I either sell it or give it away.

In other words, your exes of 10 years ago are worth sending a Text to now, after you've seen what silly things are out there now.

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

It rarely happens that someone convinces me to like something I don't like or the other way around, even if it's a reviewer or person whose opinions I tend to share or respect. But it might help me fill in some extra context for said like or dislike.

That was my point. I am in that regard not interested in others' opinions. I described the rare case where someone is knowledgable enough to give me context, background information and knowledge about a work that wakes my interest and enriches or changes the musical experience. If somebody just tells me: "I am an expert. I have listened to a thousand scores, so you can believe me that this is good." it doesn't improve my musical experience at all. It just makes me think, "Maybe you listened to too many scores, so that some reception nerve got lost."

1 minute ago, GerateWohl said:

That was my point. I am in that regard interested in others' opinions. I described the rare case where someone is knowledgable enough to give me context, background information and knowledge about a work that wakes my interest and enriches or changes the musical experience. If somebody just tells me: "I am an expert. I have listened to a thousand scores, so you can believe me that this is good." it doesn't improve my musical experience at all. It just makes me think, "Maybe you listened to too many scores, so that some reception nerve got lost."

Oh, definitely. Authority should come naturally and organically from when you talk about something, not by making it a stated point-of-departure. That is, in fact, a fallacy.

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Video games scores usually are too epic for my taste. They start at ten and end up at eleven.

That's my experience as well.

Like @Thor described and complained a little about the "longwinded detours that a lot of ornamentation in classical music", video game music mostly has too few of that.

I do think it's an interesting question.

I got into this hobby differently than most everyone else who's replied - I'm a lot younger than most of the people here, and so I grew up being exposed to "sound design" scores. Believe it or not, the first score to leave an impression on me growing up was actually Hans Zimmer's Inception. That said, it wasn't the unmusical BWAMS that I liked or connected to, but the few themes that are in the film, especially the Time suite. 

I still don't think that it's a terrible score, and it's perfectly fine music for listening to while doing other tasks or working, even if the action cues aren't exceptional music for listening. It's certainly not unlistenable, as some would make it out to be. 

But the *reason* I would listen to it is probably because I liked the film first, and I'd seen it enough times that I grew an attachment to the music in the most emotionally resonant parts (such as the Time theme).

When I think about most of the film music that I like today, I can find similar roots for them. My first exposure to John Williams' music was actually LEGO Star Wars on the PS2 - I played that game before I'd even seen the films. So many of my most beloved scores -  Murray Gold's Doctor Who, Williams' Harry Potter scores, Daft Punk's Tron Legacy - for each there is a strong associated attachment to the film or show from which they came.

I never even considered listening to music from a show or film I'd never seen until coming across this forum. Does that mean that I'm not a soundtrack fan?

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Enjoying film scores on their own, but conscious of the film as context for the music

This is probably closest to my approach. Regardless of how I discover a score, whether it be a concept album on Spotify or watching a film and liking the music, I'm listening to the music as music. Sure, I might be remembering scenes along with the music and picturing what's happening if I know the context well, but I'm not in the mindset of reliving the film scene by scene - more enjoying the story/atmosphere at a macro level.

Something I also strongly do, at least for well-conceived music, is picture places, situations or scenes for piece of music, such that an innocent piece of underscore can take on a strong meaning even without my having seen the film - it just has to be pressing the right buttons, mentally for me. Even if I've seen the film I can often still apply my own imagery because the emotion of the music is working on a larger level.

20 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

As I don't have the burdon like you to deal with this music professionally, which requres a certain openness, and I just deal with it for my private enjoyment. And I found myself taking different mesures here and there, thinking "This is a score, so potentially something I like".

But meanwhile I say, no. The simple fact that this is a film score says neither that I potentially like it nor that it is something of a certain quality. There is such dumb musicand as a music listener I don't care, that this might support a movie in a special way, because when I listen to it, I don't have that context and the music must stand on its own.

And I want to get impressed by music. Not less.

If it doesn't manage to do so, why deal with it?

This whole thing I have a lot of the time. Something in me think "it's a film score, so I like it".

But as you said, film score are so many different genres that it's impossible to like everything 

I like some rock bands, but not all. So why should I like all film scores.

It's indeed a very interesting point. I might have some more thought later, but you really got me thinking

12 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

I never even considered listening to music from a show or film I'd never seen until coming across this forum. Does that mean that I'm not a soundtrack fan?

I'll be honest here: listening to scores for films I've never seen usually does absolutely nothing for me.  I need story beats to latch onto, or else I just don't get what the music's trying to convey.

If that makes me a simpleton, a moron, or "not part of the cool kid's club" so be it.  But that's just the way I am.

I remember the first time I heard the How To Train Your Dragon OST before I'd seen the film.  In that first listening session, listening to This Is Berk was a chaotic experience and I stopped before I even made it halfway through the track.  After seeing the film, the score quickly became a favorite of mine, though admittedly I don't listen to it as much now as I used to.

The first film score albums I had hardly contained a track that was a one to one representation of the original film cue. Like on the Raiders of the Lost Ark OST "The Well of the Souls" consisted half of the actual Well of the Souls and half of The Idol's Temple from the beginning of the movie. The Shark Cage Fugue on the OST is a concert suite, so just the beginning apears in the movie. So anyway I started making my own movies in my head inspired by the originals to that music as the music didn't fit the actual scenes from my memory. 

And I said it before. In the 80s I sometimes went to the cinema mainly for listening to a good score to the images. Wouldn't happen today for sure.