An Evening with John Williams and Yo-Yo Ma: One Night Only at Carnegie Hall (February 22, 2024)

rpvee

https://www.carnegiehall.org/Calendar/2024/02/22/An-Evening-with-John-Williams-and-Yo-Yo-Ma-0700PM

The great John Williams conducts The Philadelphia Orchestra and Yo-Yo Ma in a program of his iconic film scores and the spectacular Cello Concerto. Composed for Ma in 1994, its four movements feature “as much variety and contrast as possible,” notes Williams. The opening Theme and Cadenza casts the cello in a “hero’s role,” while the Blues movement conjures “ghosts of Ellington and Strayhorn.” The Scherzo is about “speed, deftness, and sleight of hand;” while the lyrical finale highlights the “greatest” of Ma’s gifts: his “ability to ‘connect’ with every individual in his audience.”

Just a couple days after what’s likely the same concert program in Philadelphia.

More cello film arrangements, please.  Hey, you know what would sound great on cello (besides everything)?  The Love Theme from The Terminal!

(As I type this, my iPod just served up Robert Folk's theme from Beastmaster 2, which would also sound great on cello, and which Williams is welcome to arrange if he wants to bring back the "Por Una Cabeza" days while he's at it.) :D

Well, it looks like this is becoming a yearly tradition for me since Across the Stars concert in 2022 at Carnegie Hall, with this year attending the concert at David Geffin Hall. Will need to bundle up for this one, though.

So I'm a bit confused how this works. Have tickets already gone on sale and you need a Carnegie Hall subscription to order them now? Or do you need a subscription to access pricing information but you can't currently order tickets but will be able to at a later date?

• 4 months later...

Pardon a possibly stupid question (I'm coming all the way from Australia for this), but is John Williams present at the gala dinner or is this an unrelated event?  How much are tickets and what's it in aid of?
Cheers!

Some upper level tickets for this are finally available after the page showing no availability for months. Looks like anything closer or lower is reserved for people buying tickets to the pre-concert cocktail party and/or post-concert gala, which range from $1,000 to $2,500. :(

On 10/08/2023 at 4:09 PM, rpvee said:

Some upper level tickets for this are finally available after the page showing no availability for months. Looks like anything closer or lower is reserved for people buying tickets to the pre-concert cocktail party and/or post-concert gala, which range from $1,000 to $2,500. :(

I was lucky enough to find my ticket in the dress circle zone, first row.

It was not expensive when you compare with the prices for Philly!

I’ve logged into to the presale today and it says the concert has now sold out. I don’t know if there will be a further release at some stage : they are still selling the gala tickets by the looks of it. 

What's the status now? Sold out again? Was away from the computer earlier.

3 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Hopefully there are still tickets being held for general sale on the 21st, and only the presale tickets have sold out.

Praying this is true...

1 hour ago, Demondm810 said:

I got a premium ticket- didn't want to chance it.  Was at the last Carnegie concert and it was transformative haha

Where is your seat located?

I got a gala ticket- so it says it will assign later?

13 hours ago, rpvee said:

Where is your seat located?

Maybe you'll be able to remind him what Episode number his star wars selection is from again :lol:

6 hours ago, Bespin said:

They are a bit too old for a one-night stand!

Williams is spry and still delivers at 91. My knees were weak after Film Night in Tanglewood. 😄

Some of their responses to me have suggested that perhaps some normal tickets might be made available in the fall if the gala doesn't sell out. They've been a bit vague on what the time period is for that, though (perhaps to try to maximize gala/premium ticket sales). Understandable strategy but very frustrating for us because of the uncertainty.

The one thing that gives me some hope is that I was able to get a concert-only ticket for the ASM concert (which was a similar gala event) just a few months before.

Looks like the cheapest tickets are $450, or $610 for us Canadians. Factor in travel and accommodation expenses, and that's a big...

IMG_3049.gif

Great! Cheaper nosebleed seats! I'm in the queue. Only 2,776 ahead of me... 😩

And of course now it looks like they're sold out again. Will just have to keep checking throughout the fall in the hopes of random ticket drops.

Yep, just premium tickets available.

If they operate in any way like Tanglewood, tickets will drop up until the day of the performance! Here's hoping...

I didn't see any ~$200 nosebleeds when it was my turn, so got the premium. Were those cheaper options just sold out when I was in the selection portal? 

Also a quick google for this event shows a bunch of third party sellers selling for slightly less for the same seating the $450 "premium" Carnegie offers. Are those just better options??

1 hour ago, forceawayacc said:

Also a quick google for this event shows a bunch of third party sellers selling for slightly less for the same seating the $450 "premium" Carnegie offers. Are those just better options??

Some could be scams, some could be legit, depends on the seller.

The $450 tickets seem to be sold out now too.

Does anyone know how the Carnegie Hall box office generally operates in regards to ticket drops? Am I wasting my time checking daily for now, and should wait for the Fall?

49 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Where is the link to possibly purchase tickets and see what seating is available?

https://www.carnegiehall.org/support/special-events/williams-and-ma-2024

5 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Does anyone know how the Carnegie Hall box office generally operates in regards to ticket drops? Am I wasting my time checking daily for now, and should wait for the Fall?

I think this may be a question for @rpvee! But unfortunately, there may not be much logic to it, so you might have to keep checking back to have the best chance.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who were of two minds about maybe buying a $600 premium ticket (i.e., Can I afford it?/Can I afford not to?), the decision has been made for us... They're apparently sold out.

The good news, I guess, is that premium tickets were only for 1st and 2nd tier, IIRC. So premium tickets being sold out doesn't necessarily mean that the entire hall is sold out, or even close to sold out. (At least that's my hope.)

I hope you're right and they release some more soon. Up in the nosebleeds is fine with me.