Triple meter in film scores

Holko

Great topic, @Holko. For the flying association, I would add the E.T. flying theme. I'd agree that there's something buoyant about waltz-tempo triple times, and the examples you mention are excellent ones. And you might be onto something with the fairy-tale beauty idea as well. That could explain the triple time of The BFG's main theme, for example. For me, one of the most challenging things with these kinds of discoveries is understanding how strong the association is, meaning how widespread and frequent the connection is. What you provide here is a massive step towards that, so kudos!

When I was working on my course on rhythm and meter last year, I came across a whole bunch of passages in triple time / compound time (basically faster 3's) in Williams that had narrative associations and that were pretty frequent. One that he returns to often is the use of 3's in a slow compound time for sorrow. Examples include the main themes for Angela's Ashes, The Book Thief, Presumed Innocent (also includes mystery as an association), as well as Petticoat Lane, Across the Stars, Jedi Steps, and the new Obi-Wan theme. There were other associations, but that was the one that seemed to have the most examples I came across (aside from the action music association you mention, of course!).

4 hours ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Love/Romantic themes.

Hmm, off the top of my head I can only think of Ilia.

38 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

For the flying association, I would add the E.T. flying theme.

Help me jog my memory please, which renditions of it are triple? I'm cycling (heh) through them in my head and it's only the Friendship theme which fits, Flying seems like a 4 to me. The Call could be triple too, actually, never thought about this stuff before.

31 minutes ago, Holko said:

Help me jog my memory please, which renditions of it are triple? I'm cycling (heh) through them in my head and it's only the Friendship theme which fits, Flying seems like a 4 to me. The Call could be triple too, actually, never thought about this stuff before.

The theme is in a slow 3 (counting the first 3 melody notes as the main beats), so it's really any rendition that's in that meter. It can have a slightly different feel at that tempo, but I would say the feeling of 3's is still prominent. Take the ones at the end of The Magic of Halloween:

Spoiler

Or the one at the end of The Rescue and Bike Chase:

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

The theme is in a slow 3 (counting the first 3 melody notes as the main beats), so it's really any rendition that's in that meter. It can have a slightly different feel at that tempo, but I would say the feeling of 3's is still prominent. Take the ones at the end of The Magic of Halloween:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Dear lord I've been listening to this theme for nearly three decades and I only just realised that it's in 3. It is a slow 3 as you point out - the score dictates a 3/2 time signature in both of those cues - and as such isn't a waltz, which is why I suppose it's doesn't feel like it's in 3 like many of the other examples. Funnily enough Buckbeak's Flight has the exact same time signature, and is obviously very much of a piece with the E.T. flying theme, but I always knew that one was in 3 (or at least 6, which is how I count it).

7 hours ago, Ludwig said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Aah, that slow. Something that threw me off is the quick pulsing instrument with 4 pulses per first 2 notes, which would make it a very fast 4/6.