JW's secret lyrics

Datameister

I think Superman is the classic example and I really do believe it's something a lot of people hear automatically. Even Richard Donner said he heard it instantly. 

"Staaar Waaars" is one that SNL made popular. I have thought "In-di-a-naaa," "EEE TTT," and "Har-ry Pot-terrrr" before. 

But I think the more specific it gets, the more it's grasping at straws.

Companion thread:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19927-melodies-that-could-have-lyrics/

My ancient post in that thread:

On 10/03/2011 at 2:00 PM, Jay said:

This is embarassing to admit, but......

When I was a kid I developed lyrics in my head to all the melodies in the Star Wars scores to keep them sorted in my head to more quickly identify which theme was playing... I used to always mix the up, especially cues that blended a lot together like the Dagobah scenes, etc.

The only ones I can remember now are

Han and Leia's Love Theme: "I love you, oh yes I do, I love you, I really do-ooo" :lol:

Princess Leia's Theme: "Prin-cess Lei-a, buns in her-er hair, prin-cess lei-a, buns are in her hair!"

Rebel Alliance Theme: "the rebels, the rebels, the rebels are-a coming!"

Luke's Theme: "Luke, Luke, Lu-uke Sky-Walllk-er, Lu-uke Sky-Walllker, dij-er-e-doo"

Force Theme: "The force, is, mys-ter-i-ous, the force, surrounds us and binds us all"

Yoda's Theme: "Yo-da, Force, Da-go-bah, Yo-da, Force, da-go-bah, Yoda, Force, Dagobah, Dagobah, dagobah, dagobah, dagobah!"

The Imperial March was just "Darth Va-der, Darth Vader, Darth Vader" :lol:

Second companion thread:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29037-adding-choir-lyrics-to-existing-star-wars-pieces/

My post in that thread

On 21/11/2018 at 3:21 PM, Jay said:

When I was a kid I wrote my own lyrics to various SW themes in my head so I could better know what theme was playing when

Leia's theme was "Prin-cess, Leia's really nice.... prin CESS, Lei-a's really nice"

H&L's Love theme was "I love you, oh yes I do, I love you, I really dooooo-oooo"

The Force was "The FORCE, IS, really SPECial, The force, surrounds and bi-yi-yinds us"

The main theme / Luke's theme was "Luke, Sky, Lu-uke Sky WALKer, Lu-uke SkyWALKer, he's kickin' ass"

My favourite one will always be 

Schin-dler, Schin-dler, Schin-dler, Schin-dler,

Schin-dler, Schin-dler's list;

Schin-dler, Schin-dler, Schin-dler, Schin-dler's list;

that's Schin-dler, Schin-dler, Schin-dler, Schin-dler's li--ist,

Schin-dler, Schin-dler, Schin-dler, Schin-dler's list.

Someone suggested it some time ago, I don't remember where and who... I don't want to take undue credits for this masterpiece!

On 20/03/2023 at 3:11 AM, Datameister said:

Am I grasping at straws?

Certainly not in the Superman case...

Nor is it unheard of for music to do this. Its a kind of musical onomatopoeia.

I find very few of John Williams famous tunes very singable. Hummable yes, but singable?

There are a few exceptions. Love theme from Superman has of course a well singable melody as this was even supposed to be sung. But in general I find, that these themes are written for instruments and not voice for a reason.

But of course this is a fun excercise.

And yes, in some cases a phrase might have been an inspiration for the texture of a melody. But only for the texture I guess, not for the melody. At least my view.

"No longer am I...  just a man.

I'll only go by...  Superman!

You look at me as...  just a guy.

But I hide, deep inside, I can fly!"

"Superman, it's just how it sounds!

I am a super man, just making my rounds.

And I'm here to saaave you 'cuz that's what the braaave do.

I'm known as the man of steel, with a heart of gold."

"Want adventure?  Come to me:

A professor...  of archaeology.

Buried treasure's...  worth the fee!

But choose poorly, and surely, you're purely... cremation."

(I can't believe I'm the only one so far to mention Goldentusk in a thread about putting lyrics to JW pieces!)

Solium posted this video on FSM a couple of weeks ago, which was about this topic:

As I said there: 

Some I think are credible, some are a stretch and obviously a coincidence.

Beyond the examples in the video, there's also Alan Silvestri's NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM, which seems to sing "Night at the Museeeeeeum". I think this was pointed out by some FSM guy a few years ago. Could have been the Kaplans. In fact, haven't they made a series of videos whereby they transcribe lyrics to film themes?

E. - T. - flying past the Moo-oon.

-

Peter - Peter - Peter is flying.

Flying is Peter, flying is Peter, Peter, Peter...

The King of this sort of thing was Hammer composer James Bernard.  His Dracula score is intentionally Draaaa-cu-laaaa.

Even his sequels meter out the correct syllables to match the film title.

Draaaa-cul-laaaaa! Has-Ris-en From-the Graaaaave!  He's Risen From the Graaaaave!

Taste... the... blood... of... Draaaaa-cu-laaaaa!

Fran-ken-steeeiiin Must-be-De-Stroyyyyyed!  Yes, He Must-be-De-Stroyyyed!

You could argue that Williams followed suit with

Oh Nooooooo! It's Dra-Cu-Laaaaa!  Oh Noooooo!  It's Dra-Cu-laaaaa!

22 minutes ago, Datameister said:

I'm loving all the lyrics being shared, but the flagrant disregard for the natural prosody of the music is devastating. Stretching the word "it's" over four notes? Stressing the first and last syllables in "skyscraper"? Using "Skywalker" to add an extraneous note to the sublime first phrase of Rey's theme? Splitting "man" across two notes in the staccatoest phrase of Superman's theme, thereby pronouncing it /ˈmæʔæn/? Shameful. We're better than this. John toils for hours or days to get a melody just so, only for it to be promptly shat upon by an unstressed syllable on an accented note? Outrageous.

Then you're really gonna hate my lyrics for the Jaws theme.

2 hours ago, Datameister said:

I'm loving all the lyrics being shared, but the flagrant disregard for the natural prosody of the music is devastating. ...Splitting "man" across two notes in the staccatoest phrase of Superman's theme, thereby pronouncing it /ˈmæʔæn/? Shameful.

Fine.  Edited.

But here's the source of the lyrics I posted, and the line sounds okay to me here:

If you still think it's wrong, I don't know what to tell you.  Is it perfect?  No.  But this is classic Youtube right here.

This - is the story - of Steven - Spielberg...

This - is the story of his early life.

It's hard to believe that things have come so far.

So let me just write - a short little score - a short little score - for my - best - friend.

Oh, shit.

Oh, shit.

Oh, shit.

Oh, shit.

Oh, shit.

Oh, fucking shit.

Oh, fucking shit.

Oh, shit.

Oh, shit.

Oh, shit 

Oh, shit.

Oh, shit.

Oh, fucking shit.

Oh, fucking shit.

Fucking hell.

I am going to get killed.

Fucking hell, fucking hell, fucking hell.

IMO the reason why some melodies "fall naturally into the ear" more than others is partly because they resemble spoken language in some way. It's hard to say that a composer deliberately constructed melodies to sound like language, it's more like an inevitable property of these sorts of melodies. This is probably due to some ancient part of our brain...

I think on your point specifically about these motifs matching words specific to the theme of the motif...I agree with @A Farewell to Kings post that mostly it's just coincidence since there are so many phrases you can construct, although I'd allow that the "Superman" example is perhaps deliberate.

And perhaps "Star Wars, welcome to Star Wars, no place like Star Wars, please come again."

But anyway, it has never crossed my mind to add lyrics to JW's themes...I prefer them wordless :mrgreen:

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Oh, shit.

Oh, shit.

Oh, shit.

Oh, shit.

Oh, shit.

Oh, fucking shit.

Oh, fucking shit.

Oh, shit.

Oh, shit.

Oh, shit 

Oh, shit.

Oh, shit.

Oh, fucking shit.

Oh, fucking shit.

Fucking hell.

Fucking hell, fucking hell, fucking hell.

Is that The Hut On Chicken's Legs? :wink:

On 22/03/2023 at 7:16 PM, A Farewell to Kings said:

@Loert

Holy crap, I am pretty sure I heard that bit around 0:13 used in a 90s/ early 2000 sample CD

Yeah, Best Service Orchestral Colours, Diabolic Seq. 1!

At 26:57:

Immediately recognized that one from older seasons of South Park!

• 2 months later...

Official Lyrics to Rey’s theme

Verse 1: 0:33-1:09

Rey is not a Solooooo

She is a Palpatiiiiine

She calls herself “Skywalker”

Doooooon’t believe her lies

Frommmmm her past she hides

Waaaaaatch her sexy thighs          move

Rey “Skywallllll-ker” Pal-pa-tine

Rey “Skywallllll-ker” Pal-pa-tine

Verse 2: 1:40-2:11

Many things is Daisyyyyyyy

Can’t… really tell… her noooooo

And if she bakes me coooookies

I’ll… write her a new theme

Beau…tiful it will seem

Saw… her in a wet dream

Reyyyyyyy

Seeing this thread bumped reminded me: I’m surprised the Sabrina theme was never paired with any lyrics, because those phrase endings sure sound like they were meant to accompany the name “Sabrina”: