The JWFan Dinner Party Music Thread

Tom Guernsey

I can't believe I'm the only one here who puts on film music for a dinner party (I mean, maybe I am and you're all pointing and judging... I'll get over it). I have a playlist of scores that make suitable background music for having a few friends over for dinner but thought I'd throw it open for other suggestions, here's my list:

• Better Living Through Chemistry (Andrew Feltenstein & John Nau) - bit more quirky but now one of those scores I've played an impressively large number of times (well over a dozen) relative to the fame of the composers and the obscurity of the film. However, I do recommend it, it's a lot of fun.
  • Final Cut: Film Music for Four Guitars - Chandos compilation of film music arrange for four guitars (obviously). Some nice offbeat selections including by Elliot Goldenthal (no, not Alien 3... Frida), James Horner, as well as JW and Mike Oldfield (turning Schindler's List and Exorcist into dinner party music) and others.
  • Puttnam Plays Puttnam - David Puttman's daughter plays music from her dad's movies on the piano. Quite a nice album that ranges from Puccini to Vangelis.
  • The Rum Diary (Christopher Young & Others) - Some of the non-Young music is a bit intense for dinner, but the score is Young at his jazzy best.
  • Sideways (Rolfe Kent) - One of those fun, summery scores that just fizzes along effortlessly, possibly the most ideal dinner party score around.
  • Spain in a Day (Alberto Iglesias) - Slightly left field choice perhaps but seems ideal with tapas.

I also have some Satie and Chopin piano music in there too, just for a bit of variety!

Anyone have a similar playlist they want to share or some other suggestions? And before any of you wags start suggesting Dunkirk... don't, just, don't ;)

Of course, I can also see how this thread might devolve into a "which film composer would I want at my dinner party" but that's fine too. I mean, who wouldn't want Bernard Herrmann being quiet and polite to everyone?!

I tend to use various non-film music for these purposes, as soundtracks usually aren't "stable enough" throughout. I mean, one can put on, say, a loungey 60s Mancini or Williams album, but all of a sudden there's an action cue or a polka or whatever to disturb things. However, one particular Norwegian score is stable throughout and provides wonderful dinner ambiance. I use it all the time. It's called HØST (meaning AUTUMN) and is composed by the film's director Jan Vardøen in collaboration with Nils Petter Molvær. It's on Spotify.

It's mostly stuff for romance or comedy movies. I feel that's the best thing to have on in the background, but doesn't take away too much attention.

Breakfast At Tiffany's

On Golden Pond

Some scores by Zimmer (Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy, Parts of True Romance, The Holiday, It's Complicated)

Parts of Forrest Gump

Sabrina

Some work by Rachel Portman (Chocolat, Emma, Cider House Rules, Ask The River)

Marley & Me, The Intern

The Informant

Parts of scores by Thomas Newman (American Beauty, Saving Mr. Banks, Let Them All Talk)

Last Vegas

Some of the song covers in Westworld

Parts of scores by Desplat (Florence Foater Jenkins, Julie & Julia)

Dinner parties aren't the sort of thing I'm involved with, but when I'm driving I put music on, and off the top of my head I've done:

HTTYD: Hidden World

Fellowship of the Ring

Islands by Ludovico Einaudi

Melodysheep

My walking friends know I'm into instrumental weirdness so they're used to it.

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

It's mostly stuff for romance or comedy movies. I feel that's the best thing to have on in the background, but doesn't take away too much attention.

Breakfast At Tiffany's

On Golden Pond

Some scores by Zimmer (Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy, Parts of True Romance, The Holiday, It's Complicated)

Parts of Forrest Gump

Sabrina

Some work by Rachel Portman (Chocolat, Emma, Cider House Rules, Ask The River)

Marley & Me, The Intern

The Informant

Parts of scores by Thomas Newman (American Beauty, Saving Mr. Banks, Let Them All Talk)

Last Vegas

Some of the song covers in Westworld

Parts of scores by Desplat (Florence Foater Jenkins, Julie & Julia)

Agreed, you don't want anything too loud or intrusive but guess there is a need to be more selective for certain scores. The Crimson Gump (for example) from Forrest Gump is a bit to active but the rest is lovely and broadly ideal. Guess I need to perhaps add individual tracks to my playlist than worry about putting on complete scores. Your mention of the Westworld covers (I found the album releases a bit of a slog to be honest, great thought some of Djawadi's stuff is) reminded me of the covers for Bridgerton which are ideal. I mean who doesn't want to tuck into their dinner listening to Wrecking Ball played on strings and harpsichord?!

And @Richard Penna - I'm not throwing Hyacinth Bucket style elaborate dinner parties, just when we have a couple of friends over... but you still need a soundtrack to eat with!  

I'd never really given much thought to this, but it does seem like a good way to make use of breezier scores.

I'm giving the Better Living score a run-through on YouTube and, yeah, it's a got a great vibe that'd be perfect for a dinner party -- thanks for the inspiration, @Tom Guernsey! I'm going to give that and Sideways a try sometime.

I feel like Claude Bolling's jazz piano trio albums for various solo instruments would do nicely too as social gathering background. He wrote a bunch of them, all on CBS Masterworks or Milan. Cello, guitar, trumpet, violin, even chamber orchestra... and of course, flute (the most famous one).

10 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Sideways (Rolfe Kent) - One of those fun, summery scores that just fizzes along effortlessly, possibly the most ideal dinner party score around.

I don't host many dinner parties but this is one I always play when cooking. Particularly if I'm cooking 'Keith Floyd' style. :lick:

I feel that the jazz and / or romantic cues from Badalamenti's scores for Lynch films would fit this purpose, especially from Twin Peaks. I mean, listening to Dance of the Dream Man or the theme from Fire Walk with Me feels like being near the fireplace on a cold winter evening, just chilling and talking with some friends.

19 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The Sabrina OST has a track that is 10 minutes of just smooth lounge jazz, I'd put that on repeat, lol.

Actually I think Sabrina is a great choice, the whole album is gentle enough to be ideal.

19 hours ago, Bayesian said:

I'm giving the Better Living score a run-through on YouTube and, yeah, it's a got a great vibe that'd be perfect for a dinner party -- thanks for the inspiration, @Tom Guernsey! I'm going to give that and Sideways a try sometime.

I feel like Claude Bolling's jazz piano trio albums for various solo instruments would do nicely too as social gathering background. He wrote a bunch of them, all on CBS Masterworks or Milan. Cello, guitar, trumpet, violin, even chamber orchestra... and of course, flute (the most famous one).

Better Living Through Chemistry is surprisingly good isn't it?! Tuneful and enjoyable, and at half an hour, just the right length. You just have to forget that Biking is basically Di-Gue-Ding-Ding by Michel Legrand (not sure if it's credited as such on Better Living...). Then again, Di-Gue-Ding-Ding was used as the theme for Heston Blumenthal's In Search of Perfection TV show, so it's clearly ideal food music!

Claude Bolling is a good choice, I have a couple of his scores which I'm not entirely sure would be suitable but his jazz trio albums would be great. I'll have to borrow the ones my parents have!

18 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Just like The Terminal and Catch Me If You Can.

Perhaps. Even though it's fairly light, The Terminal feels like it's a bit too symphonic for dinner. CMIYC could work, although a few tracks are perhaps a bit too melancholy (the Father material). Need to give both another listen as not heard them in ages!

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread because, if you listened to Maurizio's latest podcast, disc 2 of the forthcoming Sabrina expansion will clearly belong to this list. Can't wait to hear it!

On 21/03/2023 at 11:49 AM, Richard Penna said:

Fellowship of the Ring

Ah, the great LotR score. :)

On 21/03/2023 at 9:19 PM, LSH said:

don't host many dinner parties

More dinner for you, then! :D

On 21/03/2023 at 11:49 AM, Richard Penna said:

My walking friends know I'm into instrumental weirdness so they're used to it.

What about your wheelchair friends? :sarcasm:

Personally, nothing beats a disc of Billie Holiday with Teddy Wilson in their prime musical years.

A very obvious addition... It's My Party by Basil Poledouris. Lovely piano based score so totally unlike his more famous works, but well worth a listen, but also absolutely ideal for a quiet dinner with friends. Unless they, you know, like Starship Troopers.