The Legend of Zelda: The Tears of the Kingdom

Jay

Troxie I admire your effort, but do you really think you have enough time to meet those goals when TOTK is dropping 27 days from now?  You'd have to be able to fit in like 4 hours of play a day!

I found and completed every shrine, found every memory, and completed every quest and loved all of it - no regrets.  I also got every armor and upgraded them all to 4 stars and that was worth it too - no regrets their either, but it does take a bunch of true grinding to accomplish.

Every picture in the compendium shouldn't be TOO bad if you're visiting every area anyway.  But note that if you want certain pictures of certain weapons, you HAVE to fight some lynels early enough before they get replaced with their tougher versions, because some of the easiest lynel's weapons never spawn any other way in the game so will eventually be inaccessible.

I wanted to complete the compendium in my game but I feel like that'll be something I'll get if I ever play it for a second time

This new commercial has a bunch of random shots of TOTK Link swinging weapons around

On 15/4/2023 at 10:14 PM, Jay said:

Troxie I admire your effort, but do you really think you have enough time to meet those goals when TOTK is dropping 27 days from now?  You'd have to be able to fit in like 4 hours of play a day!

I’m probably not going to buy TOTK right at launch anyway,  so my goal is just to keep enjoying BOTW and then move onto TOTK when I’ve had enough.  Also, I’m still pretty sure TOTK is going to be delayed by a few months or years! ;)

Every picture in the compendium shouldn't be TOO bad if you're visiting every area anyway.  But note that if you want certain pictures of certain weapons, you HAVE to fight some lynels early enough before they get replaced with their tougher versions, because some of the easiest lynel's weapons never spawn any other way in the game so will eventually be inaccessible.

That’s something I never thought of!  I also think I already fucked up because I forgot to snap pictures of Waterblight Ganon and Windblight Ganon before I closed up the divine beasts  (unless the DLC bosses satisfy the same entry, but something is tickling my brain that they came up differently last time around).

I’ve still never beaten a Lynel!  Ive found a few of the Maximum Test of Strength shrines and won this time around even with my current hearts, and I’m pretty sure I struggled with them last time - so maybe I’ve generally leveled up my combat skills enough to take one down.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

I’m probably not going to buy TOTK right at launch anyway,  so my goal is just to keep enjoying BOTW and then move onto TOTK when I’ve had enough.

Ohhhh OK

Also, I’m still pretty sure TOTK is going to be delayed by a few months or years! ;)

lol

That’s something I never thought of!

Sweet, I'm glad I was able to help you out then!

I also think I already fucked up because I forgot to snap pictures of Waterblight Ganon and Windblight Ganon before I closed up the divine beasts  (unless the DLC bosses satisfy the same entry, but something is tickling my brain that they came up differently last time around).

Nope, you can snap their pics from the DLC re-encounters and be fine

I saw that TV spot a bunch on Pluto last night, so the marketing push is in full effect

In other news, some journalists got to play a small portion of the beginning part of the game and post their thoughts online.  The part they could play offered nothing in the way of story, or reveal if there are dungeons or shrines or not, or anything like that, so IMO it's all safe to read if you watched the 10 minute gameplay demo - it's just people playing with those same 4 abilities, pretty much. 

They were also provided b-roll footage to put in video reviews, so that footage is all over the place now if you don't want to see it, be careful.

Anyway, I figured I'd share some spoiler-free blurbs from some people's impressions.  I can't believe the game is only 16 days away now!

From our experience so far, we’re looking at history being made with this game.

Nintendo Life (Alex Olney)

From what I've experienced, Tears of the Kingdom embraces creativity, giving players the opportunity to indulge in their imagination, without sacrificing the adventurous heart of its predecessor. 

Eurogamer (Lottie Lynn)

After my 75-minute demo session, all I could think about were the endless number combos and possibilities I wanted to try. It feels like Nintendo has really leaned into the sandbox nature of the previous Zelda game, and even without touching the story I can already tell how easy it will be to get sidetracked by Tears of the Kingdom’s creative opportunities.

Engadget (Sam Rutherford)

Based on my brief time with it, Tears of the Kingdom looks to be another fascinating sandbox with a much wider set of toys to play with than Breath of the Wild. Every time I wondered if I could do something, the answer was yes. 

Mashable (Alex Perry)

Breath of the Wild’s core philosophy was effectively “See that landmark in the distance? You can walk there!” In Tears of the Kingdom, it’s more like “See that landmark in the distance? Well, you have a hundred different ways to get there, and a lot of them might not work, but when one does, hoo boy, you’re gonna feel like a genius.”

IGN (Brian Altano)

In the grand scheme of The Legend of Zelda’s game-specific, gimmicky powers, building with Ultrahand in Tears of the Kingdom is going to go down as being one of Nintendo’s boldest attempts at challenging people to rethink what a Zelda title can be

The Verge (Charles Pulliam-Moore)

crucially, it seems to me that you can essentially ignore the whole process, if building things isn’t exciting for you. You can still play Tears of the Kingdom pretty much like you played Breath of the Wild, dancing around enemies with swords and spears, climbing up mountains rather than rocketing to their summits on some deranged vehicle. Everything that was here in Breath of the Wild is still here, minus some of Link’s old powers; but there’s this entire new side of the game to explore.

The Guardian (Keza MacDonald)

I can already tell that Tears of the Kingdom will devour my time. While I've been eagerly anticipating this release for months, I'll have to really make an effort to get out into the real world this summer, because I can easily see myself spending at least another 500 hours with this game, exploring a renewed world I know so well already.

NPR (Natalia Fidelholtz)

Welp, the game leaked, and now there's random clips of it all over youtube, etc

Best to avoid everything you see online about this game between now and the 12th if you truly don't want to know anything

I won't be posting any spoilers here, but if people want to discuss stuff ahead of actually playing the game yourself, feel free to do so inside a spoiler block

Once the game comes out on the 12th and people posting in the thread are actually playing it themelves, I don't think we should use spoiler blocks unless we're talking late-game stuff and clearly many other posters are still in early game.  That's just my opinion, I'm open to other ideas

Yea, it's tricky, sometimes you can wade through spoilers and find out only what you want without other stuff, but often you accidentally see other stuff on the way to the specific answer you want.

I haven't decided yet how much I want to go find out (generally, I think spoilers don't ruin my enjoyment of things as much as the majority of people here)

But if I do happen to find out the dungeon answer, I'll make a post here and tag you in it an and put the answer in a spoiler block (without any other info in it)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Welp, the game leaked, and now there's random clips of it all over youtube, etc

Best to avoid everything you see online about this game between now and the 12th if you truly don't want to know anything

I won't be posting any spoilers here, but if people want to discuss stuff ahead of actually playing the game yourself, feel free to do so inside a spoiler block

Once the game comes out on the 12th and people posting in the thread are actually playing it themelves, I don't think we should use spoiler blocks unless we're talking late-game stuff and clearly many other posters are still in early game.  That's just my opinion, I'm open to other ideas

So we should be seeing score gamerips fairly soon then.

Hmm, yea could be.  Depends how scared people are of Nintendo's lawyers maybe

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Hmm, yea could be.  Depends how scared people are of Nintendo's lawyers maybe

The Squidboards have no fear!

It's more the transferrance of the rip of the ROM to someone who knows how to extract the music, than where the extracted music gets posted after that

@Bellosh, here's your answer on whether or not TOTK has dungeons

Spoiler

TOTK has 4 main dungeons (Electricity, Fire, Water, Wind), 151 Shrines, 100 Caves, a new version of Hyrule Castle, and a final dungeon

I had to put your response in a spoiler block to not spoil anyone else. Be mindful of others! 

Spoiler

What are Caves in this context?

I’m assuming the four “dungeons” are more classic style dungeons than BOTW?  I never understood the complaints about the Divine Beasts, but I know a lot of people felt they weren’t robust enough.

The problem with the divine beast dungeons is that it never felt like you were truly progressing in a dungeon. It was all very monolithic. Idk I prefer dungeons to change scenery a bit the deeper you go.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

@Bellosh, here's your answer on whether or not TOTK has dungeons

Hide contents

TOTK has 4 main dungeons (Electricity, Fire, Water, Wind), 151 Shrines, 100 Caves, a new version of Hyrule Castle, and a final dungeon

Spoiler

That's kind of dissapointing. From what I have seen so far, the start of the game is a direct rip off of BotW (minus the playable start). I was hoping for more dungeons than four. The benchmark is still Ocarina Of Time in dungeon Design and volume.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:
  Hide contents

What are Caves in this context?

I’m assuming the four “dungeons” are more classic style dungeons than BOTW?  I never understood the complaints about the Divine Beasts, but I know a lot of people felt they weren’t robust enough.

Caves have been seen in the trailers and in the 10 minute gameplay video too I thought (isn't he inside one when he uses Ascend to go to the mountaintop?) 

Caves show up on your radar

On 28/03/2023 at 12:31 PM, Jay said:

The mini-map shows that caves get their own icon, with a check-mark if you've complete (?) them, and also an icon that looks like the shrine icon, but I think is different enough they could just be fast-travel points and not actual shrines.  Perhaps caves basically are this game's version of shrines?

image.png  

I wonder if those latitude/longitude/altitude numbers are something you can turn off if you want to

I pre-ordered my digital copy, and it is loaded and ready for me to start on May 12. Also, I will be ordering the official collector’s edition guide book (as soon as it is announced) just as I did for Breath of the Wild.

I'm in a very tricky position with this game.  I planned to get the physical Collector's Edition, as I did with the first game.  Well whatever tiny window that could be ordered I guess I missed, because I never once saw a live link anywhere where I could get it.  I've been checking Amazon/Best Buy/Target every day, and the order buttons are never live.

So I guess I either give up on that goal, or wait to find out if on release day some store has extra copies?  I dunno.  I'm not buying from a scalper on ebay, because A I don't want to overpay, and B, I'd have to wait for them to get theirs and then re-mail it to me, so then not be able to play the game right away.

I also don't want to buy the digital edition jus to play right away, and then also get the collector's edition later - no reason to buy the game twice.

I guess what will most likely happen if I can't find a way to get the collector's edition is just walk into a store on Friday and pick up the regular edition.

Lots of people got their physical copies early.  And with the leak 2 weeks ago there's so much footage online everywhere.  Been staying strong and avoiding it all!

I still have no idea how to get a collector's edition tomorrow :(

I'll be picking up my game from Best Buy after work tomorrow. I've been pretty diligent about avoiding the leaks the last couple weeks but I've taken a peak at a few things just to wet my appetite. Luckily, pretty much every leak I found out about was basically revealed in the last developer talk so I didn't really find out more than Nintendo had intended. I've been itching for this game for a long time, I just hope I enjoy it like I did the last.

I guess I'll go out and buy it tomorrow; Collector's Edition if I can guarantee one somewhere first; regular edition at the closest spot to me otherwise.  Probably won't get to start playing till later at night.  Want to try to play as much on the big telly as I can

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Happy Zelda day everybody! 

Happy Zelda Day, Jay!  

On 13/9/2022 at 12:02 PM, Jay said:

It's never firm when they state just a year, or a season

But now that they've given an exact date, it's pretty firm.  I'll bet you $10 it holds!

I’m happy to say for all of us that you were right!  You got a PayPal?

@Jay That is so cool. Congrats. I’ll be starting as soon as I get home from work. I already pre-ordered the Official Collector’s Edition Guide. I utilized Breath of the Wild’s Collector’s Expanded Edition Guide, as I wanted to accomplish everything. I intend to do the same with Tears of the Kingdom.

31 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I’m happy to say for all of us that you were right!  You got a PayPal?

LOL, I don't want your money Mike.  Spend it on your kid!

You absolutely are a man of your word, no worries there!  Nothing but full respect for you!

Hopefully in the future you make smarter bets ;)

So who has first impressions?

I probably won't get to play until after the wife goes to bed tonight lol

First reactions from some irl buddies.  I put one of them in spoilers - I personally don’t consider it a spoiler, but I guess some might.  I think it’s helpful information tbh

IMG_3425.jpeg

IMG_3426.jpeg

Spoiler

IMG_3427.jpeg

IMG_3428.jpegIMG_3424.jpeg

I think I've got everything ready to start playing tonight!

I opened up the Collector's Edition box to take the game out; I'll check out the rest of the stuff here after I've played the game a bit

zce.jpg

Holy shit you guys, that new cartridge smell was intoxicating!!

Today I also opened up my new OLED Switch and went through the rigamarole of transfering my User from my old Switch to my new Switch.  It only transfers my user and all its save data, so now my new Switch is empty of games but has save files of games I played on my old Switch, and my old Switch is full of games that I'd have to start over on.

Man, I love the look of the TOTK OLED!

zse1.jpg

zse2.jpg

Turns out it's gonna be a very Nintendo-centric evening: we're seeing The Mario Movie at the cinema! 

Spoiler

I've played the first hour or so, and so far, it's a great story, but an almost exact replica (one might say ripoff) of Breath Of The Wild. Link is mortally wounded, is brought to a place for sleep and reconvalescence, wakes up, finds a pair of simple trousers, meets an elderly tutor figure, gets introduced to his slate, needs to get to three shrines to collect his abilities, the third of which is in a snow area where he needs cold protection. Then he gets the mission to go down to the Field of Hyrule to start his mission. Even the tutorial how to roast apples on an open fire is there.

I hope the rest is more original.

So far, this surpasses Breath of the Wild in every way. I was not expecting the story to kick off right away, and the exploration, new abilities, enemies, combat, and story are great. It is also more challenging.

16 hours ago, TolkienSS said:
  Hide contents

I've played the first hour or so, and so far, it's a great story, but an almost exact replica (one might say ripoff) of Breath Of The Wild. Link is mortally wounded, is brought to a place for sleep and reconvalescence, wakes up, finds a pair of simple trousers, meets an elderly tutor figure, gets introduced to his slate, needs to get to three shrines to collect his abilities, the third of which is in a snow area where he needs cold protection. Then he gets the mission to go down to the Field of Hyrule to start his mission. Even the tutorial how to roast apples on an open fire is there.

I hope the rest is more original.

So its Zelda game then.

I played for about 2 hours last night. 

The prologue was pretty cool ; I sort of enjoyed being insta-dumped into a new story with tons of voice acting and lore. It felt a lot different from BOTW, even though you're the same Link with the same master sword and full hearts and stamina wheel. But you do so little (just walk and kill 3 bats), I almost wonder if it would have been better as a like 5 minute opening cinematic you just watch, instead of having controllable moments at all. I really liked the music for the prologue though! 

When you wake up in a cave with 3 hearts, no weapon, barely any stamina, and an ethereal voice talking to you, I smiled at the similarities to BOTW. Once I got outside I enjoyed the new Rauru guy leading you around. That first jump when the music kicks in and the game's title is shown (even though it already said the name at the very beginning) was really cool too. 

I got Ultrahand and Fuse and thought both were cool! Making little hook platforms to ride a rail to another island was neat. I already died twice! The first time I was at a ledge and it said press A to jump so I did, and I promptly dove right into the ground and died. I laughed out loud! Gotta aim for the water! I like how far the water gets disturbed when you do, it's kinda fun every time. 

The second time I died was actually before I finished the Fuse shrine! Some robot in there killed me. It was getting late, so I had to quit for the night. About to start night 2 now! 

So far the most different part for me is just going back to being so underpowered. Most of my BOTW hours were spent with all abilities and tons of hearts and stamina. It's so different going back to being weak and vulnerable again. I'm definitely looking forward to getting as many upgrades as I can as soon as I can. 

Another two hours or so in, 

The game definitely throws a lot at you in the starting area; not just the three abities but all the Zonai device building, Zonai charges, Zonaite (looks like there's gonna be more currencies to worry about than in BOTW), etc. I feel like I got the hang of some things and others I'm kinda winging it for now

I made my way up to the Ascend shrine and got that to end the night. Along the way it was interesting to see how caves work. And a had a aha moment where I realized why there's so many rocks lying around everywhere; I kept picking them up looking for koroks or gems underneath, but now I realize it's to fisetonto weapons! It seems like they changed the weapon durability by making it easier to make any weak weapon stronger. I'm already a bit overwhelmed with all the combo possibilities but I'm sure it won't be long until I find some go-tos.

Im glad the koroks are back, I've found one hiding, and two others I had to reunite with their friends. It'll be interesting to see how early you find a way to trade them in, and if what you get is the same as BOTW. 

I have to say my biggest issue now is the lack of a glider. I had another moment when I fell to my death; I was up high and wanted to get to the ground below. I though the height wasn't enough to kill me; I was wrong. I can't wait to be able to fall to safety again - and glide across gaps. 

Looking forward to leaving the starting area when I resume. I used up all my cold resistant food getting to the shrine, so hopefully I can get down to warm weather without freezing to death... (I did find a one-use cooking pot, so I'll use that if I have to)