Deutsche Grammophon has signed Joe Hisaishi

j39m

Having just experienced this, this is perfect timing. Bring it on! And I hope they don't stop there - that symphony needs a release!

…having read the article, I guess there's a chance tonight's concert may get a release:

Together with our close partners at Universal Music Japan, we aim to document his irresistible music with signature recordings made by excellent musical partners such as the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and the Wiener Symphoniker.

(Emphasis mine)

They did put up two microphones for the soprano for the Mononoke suite, but she wasn't amplified, so it seems a recording of some sort was made at least.

Here's another article:

Der frisch unterschriebene Exklusivvertrag umfasst Audio- und Videowerke des 72-jährigen Dirigenten, Komponisten und Pianisten.

My translation:

The newly signed exclusive contract includes audio and video works by the 72-year-old conductor, composer, and pianist.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Having just experienced this, this is perfect timing. Bring it on! And I hope they don't stop there - that symphony needs a release!

I also would have prefered a recording of one of his symphonies than the usual Studio Ghibli best of.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

the usual Studio Ghibli best of.

I'm of two minds about this — new recordings of new (even modestly changed) arrangements can really get me (A Stroll comes to mind, and I don't believe that's had a proper album release since Totoro Orchestra Stories). Re-releases of old recordings aren't really my thing, and as delightful as it is, I'm starting to feel like The Merry-Go-Round of Life has had a thoroughly well-worn run.

I'm curious about the symphony, yes, and I also wonder if this deal has any implications on his Music Future series on Octavia / Exton.

A wild wish, while I'm at it — The Promise of the World, while not a Hisaishi composition, is lifted so strongly by his orchestration that I would dearly love to see it re-recorded some day.

This looks promising! He's quite a talented composer and I love his music for Ghibli films, so I really like the idea of hearing expanded symphonic arrangements of some of his themes. It's true that Merry-gor-round of life or Princess Mononoke, as great as they are, have been greatly explored many times in symphonic form, but it would be nice if they could also focus on some of his other, perhaps lesser know, scores like Ponyo, Porco Rosso or The Wind Rises, which would benefit from an extended orchestral arrangement which, to my knowledge, they haven't recieved yet, at least in a properly recorded release.

It's a lovely album, but it makes me wonder - what next? I can't see them reworking existing suites of Ghibli music to follow this. Does this mean it's all Joe's concert works from here?

Very curious what he cooked up for the "newly arranged" suites. As if his numerous suites with the New Japan Philharmonic WDO weren't already enough, but they're all live recordings. Love to see him on DG tho. Big thumbs up. :thumbup:

17 hours ago, Jay said:

Track list:

1. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
2. Kiki’s Delivery Service
3. Princess Mononoke
4. The Wind Rises
5. Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
6. Castle in the Sky
7. Porco Rosso
8. Howl’s Moving Castle
9. Spirited Away
10. My Neighbor Totoro
11. Merry-Go-Round of Life – from ‘Howl’s Moving Castle’
12. One Summer’s Day the Name of Life English Version from ‘Spirited Away’

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/03/31/joe-hisaishis-a-symphonic-celebration-album-announced/

I am a little underwelmed by the single. I am still flashed by the two recent "Essentials" doulbe albums, which for me contain really some definitive versions of his most famous pieces. Also the "Merry-Go-Round version there is better than the DG single.

I strongly recommend the essentials albums "Dream Songs" and "Songs of Hope".

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I am a little underwelmed by the single. I am still flashed by the two recent "Essentials" doulbe albums, which for me contain really some definitive versions of his most famous pieces. Also the "Merry-Go-Round version there is better than the DG single.

I'm confused about the "Essentials". They seem to be almost the only thing physically available by Hisaishi "in the West" at this point, but as far as I understand, they're just compilations (of stuff otherwise only available in Japan I guess)?

21 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm confused about the "Essentials". They seem to be almost the only thing physically available by Hisaishi "in the West" at this point, but as far as I understand, they're just compilations (of stuff otherwise only available in Japan I guess)?

I bought the OSTs of Mononoke, Spirited Away, Ponyo, Hana-Bi, Kikujiro and Brother regularly in Germany in CD stores when the movies came out, but all others I had to purchase quite expensive as imports.

Spirited Away even with German cover.

IMG_20230404_144227~2.jpg

I have the same Chihiro. I was surprised that nowadays so little Hisaishi is easily available on CD, because at the time of Mononoke and Chihiro, my impression was that he's popular enough around here to have at least his soundtracks regularly available.

My question was rather: Is there anything original to these Essentials albums? How much of it is taken from OSTs, and much from re-recordings and non-film works?

I am quite sure, that on the essentials albums there is nothing from original soundtrack albums except some of the more recent Kitano tracks like "Kids Return" or "Angel Doll".

But about your question. It is worth having a look at Spotify. There you find a lot of albums, which I guess are the sources of the tracks from the essentials albums.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I thought the essential albums, at least the first one, was 100% new recordings. 

By about seven different ensembles? Some tracks are London Symphony Orchestra. Some are his New Japan Philharmonic Dream Orchestra. And a lot of chamber ensembles. The Merry-Go-Round track is for example from the album "Piano Stories 4".

https://spotify.link/B45Dd834Iyb 

1 minute ago, GerateWohl said:

By about seven different ensembles? Some tracks are London Symphony Orchestra. Some are his New Japan Philharmonic Dream Orchestra. And a lot of chamber essembles. The Merry-Go-Round track is for example from the album "Piano Stories 4".

https://spotify.link/B45Dd834Iyb 

I realise I haven't done a very thorough research. :lol:

I could have done more. 

See? I said it's confusing. Apparently there are 1,000 Hisaishi albums in Japan and about as much as you can count on one hand in English-speaking countries. And any official infos I could find were in Japanese.

This my goto playlist for Joe Hisaishi's symphonic suites available on Spotify. It's pretty definitive I think. I tried as much as possible to not include anything from OSTs. Let's see if anything from this new album will make it in there: 

DG's official website has various versions of this album up for pre-order now.  Two different CD editions dropping June 30th, and 4 different vinyl editions dropping September 8th

19,99€ 1-CD jewel case: https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p51-i0602448773524/joe-hisaishi/a-symphonic-celebration/index.html

22,99€ 2-CD digipak: https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p51-i0602448812230/joe-hisaishi/a-symphonic-celebration/index.html

38,99€ standard vinyl: https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p51-i0602448812292/joe-hisaishi/a-symphonic-celebration/index.html

44,99€ clear vinyl: https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p51-i0602448987495/joe-hisaishi/a-symphonic-celebration/index.html

44,99€ picture vinyl: https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p51-i0602448987419/joe-hisaishi/a-symphonic-celebration/index.html

44,99€ blue sky vinyl: https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p51-i0602448987693/joe-hisaishi/a-symphonic-celebration/index.html

There is no word on how much longer the 2-CD edition is, nor if the vinyl tracklist matches the standard edition or not

4 hours ago, Jay said:

How frustrating. For Williams, you had to import a Japanese edition if you wanted a jewel case. For their newly signed Japanese composer, they're doing an international jewel case version - but with less content than the digipak deluxe edition…

And no info yet about the extra content on the deluxe, it seems.

Someone on FSM posted that DG's website indicated that the 2-CD edition contains 2 extra tracks and 4 extra booklet pages, but I couldn't find that information anywhere on DG's site so I dunno where they saw that

I doubt CD1 is identical to the standard edition and CD2 is 2 new tracks.

Surely, the new, longer program simply has a disc change around halfway through it

Might it be "music video" versions plus behind-the-scenes? "Melodyphony" with the LSO had such a setup, with ~40m of bonus content (really just three full tracks with recording session footage and then a longer documentary-style feature).

• 1 month later...
On 03/04/2023 at 9:58 AM, Jay said:

Track list:

1. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
2. Kiki’s Delivery Service
3. Princess Mononoke
4. The Wind Rises
5. Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
6. Castle in the Sky
7. Porco Rosso
8. Howl’s Moving Castle
9. Spirited Away
10. My Neighbor Totoro
11. Merry-Go-Round of Life – from ‘Howl’s Moving Castle’
12. One Summer’s Day the Name of Life English Version from ‘Spirited Away’

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/03/31/joe-hisaishis-a-symphonic-celebration-album-announced/

It turns out Film Music Reporter got the track list wrong

The album has 29 tracks and is 87 minutes long

https://music.apple.com/us/album/a-symphonic-celebration-music-from-the-studio/1680459073

So I guess the 1-CD version will have less than that and the 2-CD will have all of that?

Hopefully, this looks terrific. I only own a handful of Hisaishi albums but they are all good. And Princess Mononoke Symphonic Suite one is among my very favourite albums.

Karol

I'm just desperately curious as to what's going on with 8/9/11/12. We're clearly getting the abridged "live concert" presentations of everything (otherwise Kiki for starters would be 24m long), so what's the split situation here?

The Howl set is usually

1. Symphonic Variations on The Merry-Go-Round of Life
  2. Cave of Mind
  3. The Merry-Go-Round of Life

so is 8 going to end with "Cave of Mind" and just...let Spirited Away plus Totoro interrupt?

Similarly, Spirited Away usually pairs "The Name of Life" with that special vocal version of "Reprise." We can see "The Name of Life" is going last, here, so does that tell us anything about track 9?

And unlike Howl, Spirited Away's headliner does not (outside the score) lend itself to variations. If it's not just the Japanese version of "The Name of Life" (which I confess I would find somewhat disappointing), then I imagine it could be "Reprise" (at last).

• 4 weeks later...

The Hisaishi concert in Vienna was filmed and will be available for streaming on Deutsche Grammophon's Stage+ in a few days:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtZLz6lgfmV/

Let's hope a non-streaming release is coming as well.

Man this album was announced so long ago every time the thread gets bumped I go "wait, is this out now and I didn't realize it?"

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the performances here by the RPO are pretty good. Track 1 is the only one I'd consider an upgrade over the NJPWDO Hisaishi typically works with. It was a treat to see studio recordings of tracks I've only heard in live concerts like Track 22 and track 26. Track 26 was a huge surprise for me and a welcome addition to my collection.

Just want to also mention it's a great month for Williams and Hisaishi fans with these new releases. One more release to go with Hisaishi's next Studio Ghibli collab with Hayao Miyazaki's "How Do You Live?" next month.

Ooh I forgot this was finally coming out today (and for me right now: it is today!). Hopefully I can listen later!