Composer Ryuichi Sakamoto passes away at 71

Van_Etten

Yes, I knew the day was imminent when I heard the latest health updates, but it's still a big blow. So sad. The documentary CODA from a few years back was one of the best films that year, and perfectly summed up Sakamoto's life and career.

12 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

I would also like to highlight what he did with Bryce Dessner and Alva Noto for The Revenant, the main theme of the film and its different variations being particularly emotional and soothing. May he rest in peace.

That was the last thing I really liked of him. Love his scores to Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, The Last Emperor, The Sheltering Sky, Little Buddha, ...

I'm going to spend a great deal of time now, going through my Sakamoto collection, and explore things I haven't properly explored before (basically all of a YMO, as well as many lesser known scores -- especially from 2000 onwards) -- much like I did after Morricone and Vangelis' passings. He was such an eclectic voice, but I've always been the most attracted to his smooth electropop or synth stylings, more than the orchestral stuff, the avantgarde things, the world music excursions and all that.

And of course, if you haven't seen the brilliant documentary about him (CODA), from a few years ago, I suggest you do so now. One of my favorite films that year. Here's a review I wrote about that, as run through Google Translate.

19 hours ago, Thor said:

And of course, if you haven't seen the brilliant documentary about him (CODA), from a few years ago, I suggest you do so now. 

I still haven't seen this documentary. It's not on any of my streaming services.

This was terrible news to wake up to. I don’t know how I didn’t hear about this until now. Damn shame. He was one of my favorites. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence and the Revenant are among my favorite scores of all time. I was really looking forward to what he would do next and was literally listening to his discography yesterday while relaxing. His music had a sense of calmness and serenity that not many others have. May he rest in peace. His music will carry on his legacy for many years to come.

I listened to the Music for Film album whilst working today. All I can say is, why did I not discover this man's music earlier? Quite exquisite.

This is a tremendous loss.

Just now, JTWfan77 said:

I listened to the Music for Film album whilst working today. All I can say is, why did I not discover this man's music earlier? Quite exquisite.

This is a tremendous loss.

Is that that the Ghent/WSA album you're talking about? It's pretty good, but I don't think Sakamoto's non-orchestral stuff always translates well to an orchestral arrangement. Loses a lot of identity in the process.

It's this one:

Spoiler

I'm not sure which of these if any were originally non-orchestral, but they all sounded beautiful to me. 

3 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

It's this one:

Hide contents

I'm not sure which of these if any were originally non-orchestral, but they all sounded beautiful to me. 

I gave it a listen earlier and agree it’s a superb album. When I used to have my film music review site I was sent the  Cinemage compilation which is also well worth checking out.

796715A4-BAB4-4086-A6B1-6B230528E470.jpeg

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's also this for those who don't particularly like synth:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/sakamoto-for-mr-lawrence-piano-music/hnum/9396027

I can recommend this. 19 Euro for 4 CDs is peanuts! But you can also stream it, of course.  

On 05/04/2023 at 1:41 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

There's also this for those who don't particularly like synth:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/sakamoto-for-mr-lawrence-piano-music/hnum/9396027

I just bought the set and it's really great. Disk 3 with the 4 hand pieces is marvellous.  I am not so convinced about van Veen's recordings of Michael Nyman's piano work. But for Sakamoto he does great.

My favourite track is currently the endroll from The Seven Samurai (disk 2, track 3).

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm a four hand enthusiast, but it seems to be only six tracks...

Do you know "Petite Suite" from Debussy? Beautiful four hand piece.

A couple of weeks down the road after his passing, and I've spent a great deal of time re-exploring what I already owned of Sakamoto, and some new things I hadn't heard before. As a result, I assembled this top 10 of his scores:

1. Wild Palms

2. L.O.L. – Lack of Love (video game)

3. Alexei and the Spring

4. Fantasy of Light and Life (art installation, super rare!)

5. The Sheltering Sky

6. Silk

7. Little Buddha

8. Wuthering Heights

9. Snake Eyes

10. The Last Emperor

Almost, but not quite: High Heels

You say 'What, no MERRY CHRISTMAS MR. LAWRENCE?'. Afraid not. The theme is absolutely brilliant, but the rest of the score doesn't do much for me. It's a problem with Sakamoto sometimes. Has a brilliant main theme, but the rest of the score is either avantgarde sound design stuff, or short cells in the style of Bernard Herrmann, one of his idols. That doesn't always go home with me.

In terms of his solo albums, a lot of it isn't exactly up my alley. Too weird and 'unstable', sonically. But I absolutely adore the Bach/Tarkovsky/Artemiev elements of his 2017 album ASYNC, a sound I know he's been very interested in (per the CODA documentary). The other sound design elements of the album, I'm not too keen on, so I've weeded them out, resulting in a neat 31-minute program of just the beautiful ambient parts.

The same can be really be said about the Yellow Magic Orchestra stuff. A lot of it is too all-over-the-place for my taste, but the 1979 album SOLID STATE SURVIVOR is absolutely brilliant. It's like Kraftwerk as if it were produced by Giorgio Moroder. A definite keeper!

• 7 months later...
On 21/11/2023 at 12:36 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

Checked it out, I'm afraid it didn't do much for me. I consider async his last, great effort (and only the SOLARIS-like bits).

• 1 month later...