The Costume Dramas Soundtrack Thread

Jurassic Shark

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

I omitted SLEEPY HOLLOW due to the 'fantasy'/paranormal element, but then again I included INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE, so it makes no sense. :)

Yes, I think, it would rather make sense to leave them out both.

Fantasy should be excluded. Especially when the score focusses so obviously on the fantasy nature of the picture like Sleepy Hollow.

Anyway these scores get then especially interesting when they focus on contemporary music of the stories historic period. If it just in a simple way focusses on protagonist's emotions using musical tools like major chords for happiness, minor chords for sadness, dissonance for threat and fear etc., then this is not interesting at all.

5 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Anyway these scores get then especially interesting when they focus on contemporary music of the stories historic period.

with recent periods, it's easy to just get carried away just use music from the period

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

From the beginning, I was sure you only started this thread so that someone would post this.

It also has the best track named The Hunt in the history of film music.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Yes, I think, it would rather make sense to leave them out both.

Absoutely. But the costumes and general period-specific mise-en-scene is so gorgeous in INTERVIEW, one of the finest this side of AMADEUS, that I had to include it, despite its paranormal element.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Anyway these scores get then especially interesting when they focus on contemporary music of the stories historic period. If it just in a simple way focusses on protagonist's emotions using musical tools like major chords for happiness, minor chords for sadness, dissonance for threat and fear etc., then this is not interesting at all.

Yes, I like it when there's a hybrid of pastiche and/or existing classical music and contemporary styles in a film of this kind. Like in RESTORATION or THE MADNESS OF KING GEORGE. Or when it goes all non-period-specific, like the gorgeous synth music in DICKINSON and THE GREAT.

I can't believe i forgot about ALATRISTE by Roque Baños  (i don't remember first-half-of-17th century pastiche in it though). The Suite is also very good.

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Indeed, the whole score is! And it's still available here:

http://www.tadlowmusic.com/2017/07/lady-jane-stephen-oliver/

Is this producer Indiana Jones? the preservation issues in the film industry are too much for the brain

2 hours ago, Brónach said:

Is this producer Indiana Jones? the preservation issues in the film industry are too much for the brain

He's Fitzpatrick. James Fitzpatrick. I guess it was his way to redeem himself after having produced all those shoddy Silva Screen rerecordings.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anyway, here's another great costume drama soundtrack.

285.-LADY-JANE.jpg

Brilliant stuff.

I love his work for LADY JANE, and I love his work for THE LORD OF THE RINGS.

Even BLONDEL wasn't bad...

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It also has the best track named The Hunt in the history of film music.

...but you can fuck right off, right there.

It's either PLANET OF THE APES, or it's THE FINAL CONFLICT.

I can't decide.

12 minutes ago, Andy said:

Three Costume Dramas;)

Did you know Cleopatra was out of print?  My booklet looks like it was handled by a gorilla’s fingers, but I got it at a good price.  Wonder if this could be reissued with sonic improvements? 

A0A3E2CC-3917-448A-9327-A471532B8F40.jpeg

Hasn't Cleopatra been OOP for years?

I’m not sure.  It’s been off my radar.  I guess my alarm went off because I had it on a retailer wishlist for a few weeks and then it suddenly said “discontinued”.   Naturally, I panicked. 

Never listened to it outside the movie. And in the move it didn't leave an impression. Like most Doyle scores recently. They seem to me a little short of breath somehow.

• quite short melodies
  • about just half a dozen ways of arranging a theme that he uses again and again
  • his melodies sound often quite alike
  • apart form that almost no variations
  • if there are variations they are sometimes annoyingly simple
  • he is better, when he derives his themes from songs, he wrote.

But I still haven't listened to Sense and Sensibility,

1 minute ago, GerateWohl said:

Almost finished S&S. It is really quite good. Didn't expect that.

How could I miss that?

Glad you enjoyed it. I've just finished a re-listen of Emma in case I was too harsh... I'm not sure I was too harsh as such, it's pretty lovely but I would still rate S&S much higher.

Don't know if these were mentionned earlier:

• "Pride and Prejudice" (2005) by Dario Marianelli
  • "Out of Africa" (1985) by John Barry
  • "Atonement" (2007) by Dario Marianelli
  • "Sense and Sensibility" (1995) by Patrick Doyle
  • "Memoirs of a Geisha" (2005) by John Williams
  • "The English Patient" (1996) by Gabriel Yared

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

One of my favourite Doyle scores, absolutely gorgeous, several superb themes and the sung version of the main theme, Weep You No More Sad Fountains, is utterly lovely (although I do marginally prefer the more plainly sung version that appeared on a Silva compilation to the more operatic performance for the movie, but it's minor thing).

Do you find it better than Much Ado?

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Do you find it better than Much Ado?

They are very different scores... Sense & Sensibility is much more restrained (albeit not a boring way) whereas Much Ado is considerably broader in sweep and more, well, theatrical. Much Ado is (if I had to choose) probably my favourite Doyle score but S&S is easily top 5. It's an embarrassment of riches!

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You should get the piano folio then!

00316107-wl.jpg

That would definitely be the most terrible sounding version, if I had to play it myself.

Do you have that?

On 12/04/2023 at 10:11 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Too expensive shipping, but I found it for about £20 including shipping on Amazon (not the marketplace), although it's out of stock. Ordered it anyway in case they get hold of a few copies.

What happened with this? Did you find a copy?

• 1 month later...

Yes, that would be nice. The cues on the Burgon/Silva compilation CD are enticing -- especially, of course, the gorgeous, religioso "Aslan's Theme". But I would be curious to know if there is other material of note beyond the slightly minimalist sound of those cues.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Yes, that would be nice. The cues on the Burgon/Silva compilation CD are enticing -- especially, of course, the gorgeous, religioso "Aslan's Theme". But I would be curious to know if there is other material of note beyond the slightly minimalist sound of those cues.

I think the ensemble used for the Silva re-recording was particularly small.

• 1 month later...