Williams' theme used in trailer for new Harry Potter TV series

Jay

Like I said in the other thread, bad idea. Allow this to be its own thing. People are going to compare it to the films anyway, but now they're setting themselves up for failure. They'll never ever be able to outdo musically what they did up until GOF. What will follow now are endless 'why (not) use Hedwig's theme here' discussions.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Like I said in the other thread, bad idea. Allow this to be its own thing. People are going to compare it to the films anyway, but now they're setting themselves up for failure. They'll never ever be able to outdo musically what they did up until GOF. What will follow now are endless 'why (not) use Hedwig's theme here' discussions.

I would use Hedwig's theme for the title card, but nothing else.  It is brand-recognition (and very good brand recognition).  If they don't use it at all, whatever the composers come up with will be negatively compared to it if it is absent.  If it is present at the outset, the composers will have cover to do what they want, like with the Fantastic beasts.  

11 hours ago, Tom said:

Funny that JW is now more essential to the HP brand than the author herself.  

Now that I think about it, the same dynamic is in place with SW and IJ.  

he's way superior as an artist to the author herself and the only remaining guy in Indiana Jones together with Ford and John Rhys-Davies, right?

9 hours ago, Tom said:

I would use Hedwig's theme for the title card, but nothing else.  It is brand-recognition (and very good brand recognition).  If they don't use it at all, whatever the composers come up with will be negatively compared to it if it is absent.  If it is present at the outset, the composers will have cover to do what they want, like with the Fantastic beasts.  

But it was the same absurdity in FB. Why did we need Hedwig there? JNH wrote perfectly fine scores without them.

It doesn't seem they will be doing everything from scratch if they are already reusing Hedwig's Theme and the WB Hogwarts look.

Can't quite see the point of all this.

To quote Wagner: "Kinder, schafft Neues!"

The fact that JK Rowling is exec-producing a remake implies that she is not entirely satisfied with the existing 8-film version.

Is it fact or fiction that she disliked the music of JW?

5 hours ago, Brónach said:

he's way superior as an artist to the author herself and the only remaining guy in Indiana Jones together with Ford and John Rhys-Davies, right?

Spielberg & Lucas are both credited Executive producers on Indy 5, though I don't know if it's been shared how much creative input they gave or was used.

Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy have been varying levels of Producers on all 5 movies

Shawn Murphy was re-recording mixer on Last Crusade and then recorded the scores to Indy 4 & 5

Joanna Johnston was assistant Costume Designer on Temple, then main Costume Designer on Crusade and Dial (didn't work on Kingdom)

27 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

The fact that JK Rowling is exec-producing a remake implies that she is not entirely satisfied with the existing 8-film version.

All I know is that HP6 is apparently her favourite movie. Don't ask me to begin to explain this.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Spielberg & Lucas are both credited Executive producers on Indy 5, though I don't know if it's been shared how much creative input they gave or was used.

Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy have been varying levels of Producers on all 5 movies

Shawn Murphy was re-recording mixer on Last Crusade and then recorded Indy 4 & 5

Joanna Johnston was assistant Costume Designer on Temple, then main Costume Designer on Crusade and Dial (didn't work on Kingdom)

oh this is a great rundown, thanks Jay.

i wonder, why is it called "re-recording"?

because they are mixing the sounds recorded on set with the sounds recorded by the sound design team with the music recorded by the music team with any ADR recordings and making a new "recording" of all of that combined together

On 13/4/2023 at 4:00 PM, bollemanneke said:

All I know is that HP6 is apparently her favourite movie. Don't ask me to begin to explain this.

When asked she usually said the most recently released movie was her favourite, as far as I recall.

On 13/04/2023 at 10:32 AM, BB-8 said:

One of the greatest mysteries that we JW fans could not find a definitive answer until today. But I doubt that, if JKR hated JW's music as much as we think she did, she wouldn't make it public, given how beloved Williams and his scores are. It'd be picking an unnecessary fight with the fans.

On 12/04/2023 at 10:59 PM, Tom said:

Funny that JW is now more essential to the HP brand than the author herself.  

Now that I think about it, the same dynamic is in place with SW and IJ.  

John Williams is more essential to these vandalized and atomized IPs than anyone making them.

On 15/04/2023 at 6:46 PM, Edmilson said:

One of the greatest mysteries that we JW fans could not find a definitive answer until today. But I doubt that, if JKR hated JW's music as much as we think she did, she wouldn't make it public, given how beloved Williams and his scores are. It'd be picking an unnecessary fight with the fans.

JK Rowling picking unnecessary fights?? She'd never! 

On 13/04/2023 at 3:00 PM, bollemanneke said:

That's my favourite too. The series felt like it had grown up but not yet become the dark and dreary Deathly Hallows.

PoA was indeed a unique film but somehow its atmosphere doesn't really work for me.

On 13/04/2023 at 9:32 AM, BB-8 said:

This is not the case. She owns the IP, period. She's going to make money out of this.

Love or hate her - HP Is entirely 100% her creation. So she wants creative control.

Exec Producer basically mean you get to give opinions and notes and input. It may or may not be followed - but you have influence to chance the direction of the project. So of course she's gonna have that role. It is her creation afterall. 

6 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

That's my favourite too. The series felt like it had grown up but not yet become the dark and dreary Deathly Hallows.

Very close to a favourite for me too. I like Order of the Phoenix the most, though.

I think JW's theme will continue to feature prominently in the series, and not just the title card. I also think they'll hew fairly close to the looks of the films. Probably not quite the Columbus version of Hogwarts, nor the latter visions of Cuarón & Yates, but something vaguely similar, like Rings of Power to PJ's films.

And I think the reason is fairly obvious...brand integrity and marketing. The Wizarding World Theme Park in Orlando is wildly popular, and as far as WB goes, Harry Potter has a certain look and sound. The TV show will be its own thing, to be sure, but I don't think they're going to throw all that synergy away, and try something new for such an important franchise.

32 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

And I think the reason is fairly obvious...brand integrity and marketing.

ew

(if i react negatively to your message, it may appear as if i consider your message stupid, so to clear any confusion, obviously ew to this situation)

I guess that is one way they could set things apart: actually using more than just Hedwig's theme regularly past CoS. I'm sure some of the cameos of other themes in later installments were a pleasant surprise, so perhaps there might be an incentive to just have someone do their own "JW scoring the later films" take with the Max series.

4 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Probably not quite the Columbus version of Hogwarts's, nor the latter visions of Cuarón & Yates, but something vaguely similar, like Rings of Power to PJ's films.

Of course, there is a difference there. Amazon were impeded from reprising anything as-is due to copyright limitations, because Warners own those designs.

No such issue here. But you're probably right.

But I find this trend towards new adaptations "in drag" as companion pieces of the existing adaptations to be a peculiar trend. In the case of The Rings of Power, particularly, I saw it as outright duplicitous.

10 hours ago, Chen G. said:

No such issue here. But you're probably right.

I don't know what's worse, whether to reuse assets or to imitate them. My judgement would probably go on a case by case basis.

14 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I don't know what's worse, whether to reuse assets or to imitate them.

My position is that I'd love new takes on the same source material (a-la the multitude of different Dickens adaptations) but if we must have something in the style of a previous adaptation, I'd rather have the genuine article with the same assests, over something that's merely mascarading.

On 13/04/2023 at 12:52 AM, Tom said:

I'd be tempted to suggest the same - keep the iconic, brand-valuable theme and then let the new composers take over from there. The only people that it will 'offend' are those who can't handle someone other than Williams doing Potter. 

They use JW's music and the faces of the old cast to promote this new series.

Another clue it would fail.

18 hours ago, Bespin said:

They use JW's music and the faces of the old cast to promote this new series.

Right! As they can make people younger now by CGI they could make the whole thing with the original cast, except those, who don't live anymore of course.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Right! As they can make people younger now by CGI they could make the whole thing with the original cast, except those, who don't live anymore of course.

Even the dead could be digitally resurrected from archival footage - see Princess Leia in Episode 9 and Rogue One, or Jabba in Episode IV, or Grand Moff Tarkin in Rogue One.