Mangold: Indy 5 has "lotsa new themes"

crumbs

I would rather a new bad guy March or motif. Maybe less motivic, but still hummable.  Like the aggressive military March from Raiders when the Nazi Sub overtakes the Bantu Wind.  That is just pulse pounding stuff right there. 

6 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I prefer the bombastic approach

I’m all for bombast too.  To me, the heart of Indiana Jones “action music” is that it is rhythmic.  Like the gallop of a stallion.  The Raiders and Crusaders were all military by nature, so the lower registers keeping a steady driving tempo always worked for me. Airplane Fight, Slave Children, Belly of the Beast.  To me they aren’t frantic like Whirl though Academe, though one could argue Mine Car Chase was an early form of this type of hyperkineticism.  Jungle Chase and Ants get fairly close, and I’d welcome more of that. 

Though I’ve avoided spoilers, I’m aware of the train sequence.  This is tantalizing for the rhythmic style writing of Indy’s First or even the Clark Kent train sequence from Growing Up. 

We'll see where things go, but Mangold has said the prequel is meant to capture RotLA action-style and vibes.  I would bet he asked Williams to score it as throwback as possible.  That could go either way, either brilliance of old/new like with Of Grit and Glory, or something like Tie Fight attack in VIII, which I did not find brilliant.  

48 minutes ago, Tom said:

We'll see where things go, but Mangold has said the prequel is meant to capture RotLA action-style and vibes.  I would bet he asked Williams to score it as throwback as possible.  That could go either way, either brilliance of old/new like with Of Grit and Glory, or something like Tie Fight attack in VIII, which I did not find brilliant.  

JJ asked Williams to return to his earlier SW sound when scoring TFA. Personally it still just sounds like modern Williams to me (especially the action music) despite the stripped back orchestration.

I'll be thrilled if the prologue music sounds like Desert Chase but realistically I'm expecting more of the modular, crash-bang style that's been his staple since the early 2000s.

35 minutes ago, crumbs said:

JJ asked Williams to return to his earlier SW sound when scoring TFA. Personally it still just sounds like modern Williams to me (especially the action music) and doesn't resemble the earlier scores... despite the stripped back orchestration.

I'll be thrilled if the prologue music sounds like Desert Chase but realistically I'm expecting more of the modular, crash-bang style that's been his staple since the early 2000s.

I hear A LOT more of the OT in the ST than his usual sound.  Little moments like similarities between a french horn part in the second half of The Abduction and The Departure of Boba Fett.  Or stylistic similarities between Follow Me and that unused "return to echo base" music.

I wouldn't be surprised if we heard some nasty low trombone writing in the vein of ROTLA's Nazi material

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

JJ asked Williams to return to his earlier SW sound when scoring TFA. Personally it still just sounds like modern Williams to me (especially the action music) despite the stripped back orchestration.

The Jedi Steps hearkened back to music he wrote in 75 and 78!

9 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I hope he references the last crusade nazi march. Not the raiders one just because it is the first film and they always reference the first film for nostalgia.

he can reference both too.

8 hours ago, Andy said:

I would rather a new bad guy March or motif. Maybe less motivic, but still hummable.  Like the aggressive military March from Raiders when the Nazi Sub overtakes the Bantu Wind.  That is just pulse pounding stuff right there. 

To all who are talking about the Nazi theme, we know that there will be a new Nazi theme for Dial of Destiny, because we heard it at least 3 times in the leaked action sequence (maybe 4).

I’ve listened to these little snippets of the new Nazi theme over and over, and I’ve constructed a full version of the new theme in my head.

Based on what I’ve heard and how I interpret it, I believe it will be Williams’ best villain theme since the Imperial March. Even better than TLC Nazi theme. The new theme suits a concert suite well, so I’m assuming we will get one.

If you guys are interested, I could play my interpretation of the Dial of Destiny Nazi theme on the piano and share it with you guys.

4 minutes ago, Garrett said:

Based on what I’ve heard and how I interpret it, I believe it will be Williams’ best villain theme since the Imperial March. Even better than TLC Nazi theme. The new theme suits a concert suite well, so I’m assuming we will get one.

That is a very interesting take. I haven't watched the scene and don't plan on it, but this is some high praise right here.

16 minutes ago, Garrett said:

To all who are talking about the Nazi theme, we know that there will be a new Nazi theme for Dial of Destiny, because we heard it at least 3 times in the leaked action sequence (maybe 4).

I’ve listened to these little snippets of the new Nazi theme over and over, and I’ve constructed a full version of the new theme in my head.

If you guys are interested, I could play my interpretation of the Dial of Destiny Nazi theme on the piano and share it with you guys.

Where exactly do you hear this new motif specifically?

Also, I’d like to hear that piano version

44 minutes ago, Garrett said:

Based on what I’ve heard and how I interpret it, I believe it will be Williams’ best villain theme since the Imperial March.

I love JWFAN.