Sabrina 2 CD from La-La Land Records (2023)

DangerMotif

Revisted the score yesterday and just realized that of the three main themes - the main theme, Moonlight, and How Can I Remember (the score not the songs) - of those, the main theme is my least favorite, Not that I dislike it, I just like the other two more. 

Is Williams' Moonlight a concert arrangement? I've only seen the film once, and I don't recall ... well ... anything.

18 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Anyone hoping this might be another Always type release where we didn't expect much unreleased score based on what's heard in the film, but the expansion surprises with a packed disc of alternates?

I never revisit the Sabrina OST but nor did I Always, until the expansion changed my entire perception of the score.

The best thing about the Always expansion: No songs

So, I agree.

Having started collecting with Jurassic Park, Sabrina and Nixon were the first new JW scores to come out (I didn't get Schindler's List at the time) and, obviously when you're hoping for another big Spielberg action/adventure blow-out, Sabrina was something of a let down. Fortunately tastes evolve and it's a score I've come to enjoy considerably more, even if it's a pretty slight entry in his oeuvre. I certainly didn't imagine there was much missing music from the OST, or at least nothing material.  Of the two that came out that year, I would probably have to pick Nixon as the more interesting effort (even though, again, it didn't do much for me at the time outside of the driving main theme) but I'll be interested to see what extra there is - not gonna lie, 2CDs feels quite ambitious!

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

neither of the CDs in this release is the OST

I take it no-one’s got any theories about how we could be getting 2+ hours of music from this score without any OST tracks? A crazy number of alternates is the only thing I can think of.

Mike did not post that the Sting song was not on the expansion.  He posted that the "Film Version" track from the promotional CD single was not on the expansion.

Hopefully it includes the film version of Moonlight by Sting. It was only available on a 2 track promo CD

https://www.discogs.com/release/1948278-Sting-Moonlight

UMG has no sublicensing rights for that version, sorry to say.

Oh, I getcha!

The Film Version is basically just an edit of the full song recorded (that went on the album), anyway

It's not like Home Alone where the album version and film version were completely different recordings

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Oh, I getcha!

The Film Version is basically just an edit of the full song recorded (that went on the album), anyway

It's not like Home Alone where the album version and film version were completely different recordings

oh wow so is it possible to completely replicate the film version with the album version?

On 22/04/2023 at 3:40 PM, Miguel Andrade said:

I checked the promo single and I believe the film version is an edit from the album one.

Minus some very light mixing differences (at least to my ears, some very subtle details may be more evident on one than another and the album version sounded brighter), you can easily recreate the edit this way (approximate times rounded to the nearest second):

0:00 to 1:51

3:51 to 4:40

Fade out starting at 4:40 until 4:56 (the fade is more intense in the first few seconds then more subtle when is already very low).

1 hour ago, QuartalHarmony said:

I take it no-one’s got any theories about how we could be getting 2+ hours of music from this score without any OST tracks? A crazy number of alternates is the only thing I can think of.

My prediction is, the 2CD release will be structured and have a similar lenght like Empire of the Sun. Two discs packed full of alternates seems a bit much.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

My prediction is, the 2CD release will be structured and have a similar lenght like Empire of the Sun. Two discs packed full of alternates seems a bit much.

You’re right, Empire of the Sun is a more likely structure for them to follow than Close Encounters. I hadn’t thought of that. I’m betting you’re probably on the nose there.

I really liked both assemblies. I can’t wrap my mind around anyone disliking the recent anniversary assembly of Close Encounters. That’s about as much thought and care going into a 2-disc presentation of a score as I can imagine.

13 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I can’t wrap my mind around anyone disliking the recent anniversary assembly of Close Encounters.

I had the same though. Oddly, I read that WHILE I was listening to Close Encounters.

I mean, it's not at all the way would have released it, but I don't really mind Mike's presentation. All the music's there in an order that flows well and in good sound. Same with E.T.

I'm still puzzled why don't they talk about AMISTAD. They have discussed 2 different releases in a single podcast before...

Anyways, Im Look forward to this 2CD set. 2CDs suggest that Williams must have been eager to get this one out.

So one disc of the whole score (with extended versions where such exist) then a disc of other stuff - alternates, songs, diegetic/source music etc?

Really hoping for more tracks recorded for the Party Sequence, and to have them individually cued, not all in one track like on the OST. The arrangements of those (presumably done by JW?) are just lovely.

Mark

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Right. And disk 2 will just have 3 minutes.

No. Both discs will have around 40 minutes. Or 50 plus 33 minutes. Wherever a break makes musical sense. 

In Sabrina mode, and I just listened to the ost for the 2nd time.

Really looking forward too to this release, and checking the track list first on Monday.

It's a quite charming score. I wonder if this release, makes it from charming to great!

Still in Sabrina mode, and watching the film!

I'm at 40 minutes.

The score seems somehow fragmentary enough, with some cues sounding edited.

Really curious to see how this release will be presented.

By the way, can't wait for people's reaction to the "80s" pop version of Moonlight which is heard in the first photoshoot when Sabrina is in Paris. :D

Also, I don't know why we concluded the film version of Moonlight is an edited version of the Sting song.

I know it's that way in the cd single but here, there's someone else singing, and the arrangement sounds different. (this is in the beginning of the film, I don't know if we hear the song again by Sting later).

There is also a lovely instrumental version when Sabrina comes home and goes to the party.

Anyway, I'm off to continuing the film.

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Still in Sabrina mode, and watching the film!

I'm at 40 minutes.

The score seems somehow fragmentary enough, with some cues sounding edited.

Really curious to see how this release will be presented.

By the way, can't wait for people's reaction to the "80s" pop version of Moonlight which is heard in the first photoshoot when Sabrina is in Paris. :D

Also, I don't know why we concluded the film version of Moonlight is an edited version of the Sting song.

I know it's that way in the cd single but here, there's someone else singing, and the arrangement sounds different. (this is in the beginning of the film, I don't know if we hear the song again by Sting later).

There is also a lovely instrumental version when Sabrina comes home and goes to the party.

Anyway, I'm off to continuing the film.

Michael Dees sung the on screen versions of both songs, the ones heard during the parties. I would assume those will be on the disc, just not the edited Sting version, used over the end credits.

Wow this is exciting news, while I assumed the first disc would be the complete score and the second being a remaster of the OST, the reveal that the OST isn't the second disc has me pumped for what could be on these two discs. This is such a beautiful score and while it may not be something I listen to a lot, an expansion could change that. But after this is there many 90's scores of Williams left without an expansion? (Outside of his Oliver Stone collaborations?)