Sabrina 2 CD from La-La Land Records (2023)

DangerMotif

Awaiting Shipment!

...Shouldn't this be labeled on the main page as "Complete Score" instead of "Expanded Edition"?

26 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

...Shouldn't this be labeled on the main page as "Complete Score" instead of "Expanded Edition"?

Maybe it's not complete and, once it arrives, we'll discover that a few alternates or unused material are missing? :o

I don't want to order it from LLL, I'll have to wait until it arrives at Intrada. All CDs I ordered from LLL arrived broken and scratched...

6 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

All CDs I ordered from LLL arrived broken and scratched...

I had the same problem when I ordered from LLL.

So, Sabrina, Learning the ropes (film version).

It remains to hear the other version, but I guess Williams didn't like this much so it went to the additional music and not to the main programme?

38 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

I don't want to order it from LLL, I'll have to wait until it arrives at Intrada. All CDs I ordered from LLL arrived broken and scratched...

Assuming you've tried it, you can write in 'add extra bubble wrap' when placing your order.

I do wonder if LLL should switch to boxes instead of envelopes.

My LLL orders always come in boxes! 

I usually wait to order a bunch of titles at once though, so that's a factor. 

Yeah I'm usually only ordering 1 or 2 and never get a box. Intrada will box a single CD.  Although Nemesis's problem might be shipping over seas. Probably more of a chance to have an issue.

I like ordering from Intrada because they have a rewards program. 

Moviemusic also has reasonable domestic shipping rates. 

6 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Maybe it's not complete and, once it arrives, we'll discover that a few alternates or unused material are missing? :o

I'm not worried because MM expansions are never labelled "complete" but are effectively complete :)

Something strange with the "high res" artwork on LLL's website. There's aliasing on all the edges, which ruins the "sketchwork" art style.

The text is unaffected though; it only affects the "artwork" component of the cover.

Note the bottom of Sabrina's dress:

image.png

image.png

Note the glasses and edges on the suit:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

@Jay Is there anyone we can flag this to? Just looks like a compressed, low-res version might have been uploaded by accident.

I'm assuming the printed artwork doesn't have this issue.

My German retailer has updated his shop...

Sabrina - John Williams - soundtrack (2CD) (soundtrackcorner.de)

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Something strange with the "high res" artwork on LLL's website. There's aliasing on all the edges, which ruins the "sketchwork" art style.

The text is unaffected though; it only affects the "artwork" component of the cover.

Note the bottom of Sabrina's dress:

image.png

image.png

Note the glasses and edges on the suit:

image.png

image.png

@Jay Is there anyone we can flag this to? Just looks like a compressed, low-res version might have been uploaded by accident.

I'm assuming the printed artwork doesn't have this issue.

I do hope the printed artwork doesn't have this issue!

Or is this perhaps an intentional 90ties design thingy? It looks like a cheap print from a magazine cut out by hand and glued onto wallpaper...like Sabrina's pin-ups in Paris.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

My LLL orders always come in boxes! 

I usually wait to order a bunch of titles at once though, so that's a factor. 

Last time I tried I ordered the Titanic set together with 2 other CDs. It was NOT shipped in a box! Was really a mess. 

I then decided to not order from them anymore...

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

I've always had a soft spot for fancy glasses...

50 Gucci Sunglasses Inspired by Elton John's Sparkling Style – eye-oo.com

Don't tell Mattris.

Mea culpa!

I listened more closely to the OST track's "Theme From Sabrina" and "Theme From Sabrina (Reprise)", and while the opening John Williams piano solo is certainly the same between the two of them.... it turns out the orchestral portion at the end is actually a little different!

It's definitely the same composition, just two different performances of it; The most noticeable difference to me is that the passage from 3:55-4:17 in the "Reprise" is played more gently than the same passage (at 3:09-3:31) of the track 1 version.  The tempo for the following section is slower in the "Reprise" as well.

So, indeed, all along, "Theme From Sabrina" has been a little different than "Theme From Sabrina (Reprise)".  Woops!

So anyway the LLL "Theme From Sabrina (Extended Version)" is certainly the same orchestral performance as heard in the OST's "Theme From Sabrina", just now without the piano solo edited down.

Sorry about that!

18 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Fixed 

Screenshot_20230503_193858_com.picsart.studio.hw_edit_14021666238485.jpg

22 hours ago, Bayesian said:

I'm listening to the samples and there's no way I would have believed you if you told me JW composed "Learning the Ropes" outside of the melody the strings play. Like not a frickin' chance.

Either the liner notes will indicate he got a bit of outside help to program the synths or write the guitar part or whatever -- or I will be compelled to admit that JW really can write music in literally any style a scene might require.

18 hours ago, filmmusic said:

So, Sabrina, Learning the ropes (film version).

It remains to hear the other version, but I guess Williams didn't like this much so it went to the additional music and not to the main programme?

I can't believe that these are the only 2 posts about this sample!  When I first heard it, I got a big goofy smile on my face! I had no idea music like this was composed for this movie - and I've seen the film!  I just didn't take note of this music in whatever scene(s) it accompianies I guess.

Anyways, how funny would it be to build a Best Of John Williams mix for someone, and have it start off with this, Banning Back Home, Training Montage, Leaving Home (Film Version), etc :lol:

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

When I first heard it, I got a big goofy smile on my face! I had no idea music like this was composed for this movie - and I've seen the film! 

If it didn't include the Moonlight melody, I would have guessed someone else wrote it.

By the way, I had mentioned it too in another post, before the samples went up.

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35351-sabrina-2-cd-from-la-la-land-records-2023/&do=findComment&comment=1954910

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Banning Back Home, Training Montage, Leaving Home (Film Version)

I like all of these, the melody comes through, the pop instruments work well with the orchestra, but on this sample my first impression was just of harsh noise overpowering something much better buried underneath.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I can't believe that these are the only 2 posts about this sample!  When I first heard it, I got a big goofy smile on my face! I had no idea music like this was composed for this movie - and I've seen the film!  I just didn't take note of this music in whatever scene(s) it accompianies I guess.

I believe this is from the scene were Sabrina is working as assistant during a photo-shot session in the streets of Paris. Since this uses the Moonlight melody and Williams has composed other cues not all that unlike to this one, I never question that it was composed by him.

I'm not trying to say I heard it and thought JW hadn't composed it, I only said I didn't remember it existing in the movie so it was a fun surprise when it came up!

And also, that I'm surprised there aren't more reactions to it here!

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maybe not all people listened to the samples and are waiting to listen to the cd itself?

I generally don't like samples. Sometimes I'll listen to know if one of my favorite bits is on a new track but with the score to Sabrina I don't have any favorite bits.

8 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Maybe not all people listened to the samples and are waiting to listen to the cd itself?

That’s me. 

I don’t watch trailers of movies I know I will see either. 

Shipped!

34 minutes ago, Andy said:

That’s me. 

I don’t watch trailers of movies I know I will see either. 

What if they were scored by the composer?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I'm not trying to say I heard it and thought JW hadn't composed it, I only said I didn't remember it existing in the movie so it was a fun surprise when it came up!

Yes, I understood it :)

My comment on my reaction was mostly toward to those who wouldn't expect it from Williams.

I decided not to listen to samples, waiting until the set comes in the mail. 

10 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

What if they were scored by the composer?

Then I watch it later 

On 02/05/2023 at 11:08 AM, filmmusic said:

I wouldn't be surprised if one of those 3 Moonlight party instrumentals, is the version he sang, just without his singing.

I found the scene that uses the Dees-sung version on youtube:

And noticed that the music behind his singing sounds like the "Moonlight Party Instrumental #3" sample from LLL's website

https://lalalandrecords.com/sabrina-expanded-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

https://johndadlez.com/MP3/Sabrina/02_21_ITM_PI3.mp3

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Anyways, how funny would it be to build a Best Of John Williams mix for someone, and have it start off with this, Banning Back Home, Training Montage, Leaving Home (Film Version), etc :lol:

It would be fun to compile a list of, I dunno, call it "quirkiest" cues in JW's oeuvre. We could add the Mr. DNA track from Jurassic Park, the Eastern European national anthem from The Terminal, the cantina band sequel from TLJ, maybe the Knight Bus cue...

9 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I believe this is from the scene were Sabrina is working as assistant during a photo-shot session in the streets of Paris. Since this uses the Moonlight melody and Williams has composed other cues not all that unlike to this one, I never question that it was composed by him.

What makes this situation all the more incredible to me is the sheer apparent effortlessness that characterizes one-off cues like Learning the Ropes. It's like JW is the ChatGPT of music, able to give you a perfect (or near-perfect) example of anything you ask for. Need a Bachian chaconne? A 16th century madrigal? A '20s era jazz standard? JW could probably write these and we'd never guess they weren't actually composed decades or centuries earlier. Fuck, he could probably write the music to a Dua Lipa song if he tried.