Sabrina 2 CD from La-La Land Records (2023)

DangerMotif

5 hours ago, Bayesian said:

It would be fun to compile a list of, I dunno, call it "quirkiest" cues in JW's oeuvre.

Indeed - can I put in a shout for Jabba's Baroque Recital?

I also think Cantina Band #2 is underrated, and deserves a much more interesting title!

Mark

2 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Indeed - can I put in a shout for Jabba's Baroque Recital?

I also think Cantina Band #2 is underrated, and deserves a much more interesting title!

Mark

I keep hoping we'll someday discover that Williams wrote and recorded an entire Modal Nodes album during the Star Wars sessions.  I'd eat that up.

Shipping costs to Australia for anyone who cares (prices in USD):

• Screen Archives: $16 (with a big red warning that lost or stolen packages won't be replaced, or $48 for tracked express shipping)
  • The MovieMusic Store: $18
  • Intrada: $20
  • La-La Land Records: $21.80

The terrible exchange rate is making this an even more expensive hobby than usual, but at least this time the shipping only costs about half of the actual product.

5 hours ago, Quppa said:

Shipping costs to Australia for anyone who cares (prices in USD):

• Screen Archives: $16 (with a big red warning that lost or stolen packages won't be replaced, or $48 for tracked express shipping)
  • The MovieMusic Store: $18
  • Intrada: $20
  • La-La Land Records: $21.80

The terrible exchange rates is making this an even more expensive hobby than usual, but at least this time the shipping only costs about half of the actual product.

Not much better to the UK.

A relative of mine lives in the US and comes to the UK every so often. I keep buying him presents from US companies before remembering that I have a CD player and like JW but he doesn’t. Silly me. He opens the packages when they arrive at his house and then kindly gifts them to me the next time he visits, since I’ll appreciate them more than him.

Or something like that.

29 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

there was an email sent out by LLL

Ah yes, I got that email!  It didn't get auto-forwarded so I didn't see it right away, but just found it in my proper account

1 hour ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Got mine today, along with 12 discs worth of Mark Snow.

That was fast! I envy you!

Can you tell me please if there is a track by track analysis in the liner notes?

Although I'm not hopeful. I think labels have abandoned lately this kind of analysis.

Its probably the essay type with film analysis followed by music discussion.  I miss the liner notes but nowadays that's considered as too fanboy nerd thing...

I really appreciated the ones for Amistad. Jeff Bond’s more holistic approach and then Jay and Mike Matessino detailing the bonus tracks.  

11 hours ago, filmmusic said:

That was fast! I envy you!

Can you tell me please if there is a track by track analysis in the liner notes?

Although I'm not hopeful. I think labels have abandoned lately this kind of analysis.

Nope, no track-by-track.  In fact, it's not terribly focused on the music at all; it's more about the development of the movie.

I just read through the liner notes on my copy, which arrived today. Even though, as mentioned above, its main focus isn't on the music itself, the notes are so well written and it's all very interesting! Mike really knows how to write great liner notes! He paints a really clear picture of what was happening at this point in Williams' career, a really cool connection between Williams and Audrey Hepburn that I didn't know about, and some really cool info about both the original film and this one. 

I hope to listen to the music soon!

On 03/05/2023 at 5:48 PM, Jay said:

I found the scene that uses the Dees-sung version on youtube:

And noticed that the music behind his singing sounds like the "Moonlight Party Instrumental #3" sample from LLL's website

https://lalalandrecords.com/sabrina-expanded-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

https://johndadlez.com/MP3/Sabrina/02_21_ITM_PI3.mp3

Mike posted on FSM why the Dees vocals are not on the expansion:

Note that the contract for Mr. Summer, CBE was very clear that no one else singing "Moonlight" could be included on an original Sabrina soundtrack.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=151015&forumID=1&archive=0

This has probably been asked and noticed before, but I've just wached the movie for the first time, and if Linus takes Sabrina to Martha's Vineyard Island, why is the track called Nantucket Visit? They're completely different islands

6 hours ago, Romão said:

...why is the track called Nantucket Visit? They're completely different islands

I know a poem about that. It starts:

"There was a young man from Nantucket..."

...and that's all that's repeatable.

12 hours ago, Romão said:

This has probably been asked and noticed before,

Oooh ooh, I did, I did!

On 02/05/2023 at 11:47 AM, Jay said:

BTW, about this track title: Am I crazy, or do they not even go to Nantucket in the film?  They go to Martha's Vineyard, right?

12 hours ago, Romão said:

but I've just wached the movie for the first time, and if Linus takes Sabrina to Martha's Vineyard Island, why is the track called Nantucket Visit? They're completely different islands

Nobody answered me, either.

I guess we must assume that Williams just screwed up when coming up with album names for the OST?  He clearly used "Vineyard" in a cue title, per the new LLL track list (which loses the "Nantucket" name)

16 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

I just got through the main program: it’s unlikely to change the mind of anyone that didn’t already enjoy OST, but for anyone that did, it’s nicely fleshed out, with plenty of lovely moments that didn’t make the original album.

That sounds good. I am meanwhile afraid, that these complete releases sound a little redundant. But still I am looking forward to this one.

Worth noting that the End Credits track has additional instrumentation along with the solo piano not found in the Theme from Sabrina tracks, which adds some nice variety.

7 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Worth noting that the End Credits track has additional instrumentation along with the solo piano not found in the Theme from Sabrina tracks, which adds some nice variety.

It's the same with the sheet music, isn't it?

By the way, OMG!

Musicboxrecords price:

38,95 euros + 17euros (shipping!!!!) = 55,95 total!!!:o

I wonder if I pay less (with customs included) if I order from LLL....

edit: $50.48 total (and who knows what I'll pay at customs. I guess it's the same, or maybe more expensive if I order direct from LLL)

50 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

It's the same with the sheet music, isn't it?

Right, though I wasn’t sure if it was recorded in that form. I guess if I’d watched the film I’d already know! Update: no, the film doesn’t use this version.

@Jay Is the main program End Credits the same as the actual film version?