Sabrina 2 CD from La-La Land Records (2023)

DangerMotif

Linus’ New Life is the standout among the alternates so far: it’s quite different from the revised version, and ends on a surprisingly ambiguous tone, in contrast to the clear resolution of the ultimately used cue.

My first thoughts on PITM - SOS:

These two songs from Sabrina really do stand comfortably alongside all the well-known standards presented (in superb arrangements) on this disc, which is truly a remarkable achievement.

Having made it through the main program once, I think I might actually like Always just a skosh more than Sabrina. This is a really lovely new album though!

11 hours ago, filmmusic said:

It's the same with the sheet music, isn't it?

By the way, OMG!

Musicboxrecords price:

38,95 euros + 17euros (shipping!!!!) = 55,95 total!!!:o

I wonder if I pay less (with customs included) if I order from LLL....

edit: $50.48 total (and who knows what I'll pay at customs. I guess it's the same, or maybe more expensive if I order direct from LLL)

Custom charges in Portugal are 23% upon the item price plus shipping, so I usually get this releases through music box. If I combine with other stuff, diluting the shipping charges, it always ends up being the most affordable solution.

Can anyone find out whether the very quiet comment of ‘lovely’ from JW that made it on to the OST (between tracks 12 and 13) has survived on to this edition?

Aside from that, are there any reasons for me to hang on to my OST once I buy this new version, or is every bit of the OST carried over?

Mark

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

Well Mike definitely made the right decision sticking the film version of "Learning the Ropes" in the bonus section. Still glad it's included though.

Yes, absolutely!

It’s not just that the rhythm track is extremely 90s and dated; the orchestral overlay just doesn’t gel very well with it to my ears. It was an inspired choice to present the overlay separately, especially since it’s the introduction for both of the film’s secondary themes, Moonlight and How Can I Remember.

4 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Yes, absolutely!

the rhythm track; the orchestral overlay just doesn’t gel very well with it to my ears.

I felt the same thing.

19 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Delivered and listening on the sofa with a cup of hot tea.

Ah so you took Track 19 literally then!

I listened to the alternates, all nice too though for a few I need to directly compare to make sure I'm right about the differences. 

Learning the Ropes (Film Version) is awesome! What cool 90s nostalgia I am getting. I can just picture a spry 1995 John Williams doing the moonwalk to this. 

Nice to have the La Vie En Rose with orchestral accompinament all the way through, I might prefer this version. 

And yeah, like @BrotherSound said, interesting totally different feel to the ending of Linus' New Life (alt)!

49 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

Learning the Ropes, official* music video wow!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yT3B5zDJ3ktqZHS4Z1Z-e85q2x5uOHxF/view?usp=sharing

*not really

Redo that with the Hook rap song when it is released/leaked ;)

Speaking of How Can I Remember, on the new release, which track has the short "Sabrina Remembers" piece that segues into La Vie en Rose on the original soundtrack? Does it continue with the How Can I Remember theme? 

4 minutes ago, pete said:

on the new release, which track has the short "Sabrina Remembers" piece that segues into La Vie en Rose on the original soundtrack? 

It's at the end of Eavesdropping. 

That's awesome, thanks @BrotherSound

I'm not sure about Sabrina is Home, but for Have Your Tea, the alternate appears to omit a couple of the first the first note of the celeste at the start, and has cellos starting on a lower pitch, while the non-alternate has cellos start on a higher pitch, then moves to lower. 

I wonder if there was a logistical reason why to modify the cue to have it start a little bit later? Not sure. 

Edit:

Oh wait, I see. Sabrina is Home (alternate) doesn't have violins on the big statement of her theme, only violas it sounds like (or cello too?). 

I actually think I’ll be putting the film version of “Learning the Ropes” into my personal playlist. I understand why some find it jarring, but I think it’s kind of necessary to break up the otherwise samey quality of the score. And to be clear, I dearly love this score, but it can be repetitive. It helps I kinda like the groovy overlay and find it’s merging with the traditional orchestral writing very satisfying. 

I'd say the drum machine and guitar is the main component of the cues, and the orchestral part is the overlay!

And man was it a brilliant idea by Mike to put those overlays isolated in the main program, and boy are we lucky that Williams approved it!

22 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

I actually think I’ll be putting the film version of “Learning the Ropes” into my personal playlist. I understand why some find it jarring, but I think it’s kind of necessary to break up the otherwise samey quality of the score. And to be clear, I dearly love this score, but it can be repetitive. It helps I kinda like the groovy overlay and find it’s merging with the traditional orchestral writing very satisfying. 

I think I'll be doing this too. I haven't found the score to be too repetitive, but I just love the film version. 

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'd say the drum machine and guitar is the main component of the cues, and the orchestral part is the overlay!

And man was it a brilliant idea by Mike to put those overlays isolated in the main program, and boy are we lucky that Williams approved it!

Yeah I am so glad Williams approved of it because I love having both options! I wouldn't have been surprised if he said 'no' to the idea. 

So, if I understand correctly, the first Learning the ropes track, is not a real alternate, just the overlay, right? Or was it supposed to be used like that and they decided afterwards to use the film version?

Mike already explained it on FSM, and I shared his post here:

On 05/05/2023 at 12:09 AM, Jay said:

Mike Matessino:

Among many fine creative choices the producers made with this album: there is a pop-style Williams cue called "Learning The Ropes" that underscores a comic photo shoot gone wrong. Think "Training Montage" from Spacecamp. The new soundtrack assembly uses an alternate for that cue that fits in better with the score and moves the pop film version to the alternates at the end of disc one. Good call.

Not an alternate, but the orchestral component only without the synthesizer.

So, yes: Williams didn't approach the scene in two different ways.  The only music he wrote and recorded for the scenes got used in the film as planned.  It was Mike that thought about presenting the orchestral components separately on an album, 25 years later!

So do we know what role (if any) JW had in the material on the second disc? (e.g. "(In the) Moonlight [Party Instrumental #1]")

What do you mean? 

As a performer, I think the 3 minute piano solo version of Sabrina's theme is the only thing he performed. 

As a conducter, he conducted everything on both discs apart from the Sting song.

As an orchestrator/arranger? I don't think individual track credits are known. 

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder this, if anyone knows (perhaps @Jay ?)

Were the wonderful piano renditions/variations/interludes of Moonlight that are on disc 2, notated on paper by Williams exactly as they sound?

Or was it more like improvisations on the piano on the fly?

I didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this has been asked

'

Is track 1 (theme from sabrina) and track 35 (Reprise) the same recording? If so why is it there?

The score presentation on disk 1 is quite an improvement over the OST with lots of interesting previously unreleased music

I might move the In the Moonlight variations on disk 2 at the end of Disk 1 

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

What? 

I think he's asking whether those tracks are made up of more than one cue per track, or if they were single cues that were chopped up in the film.

9 hours ago, Holko said:

Yes, the first one is quite bad but he gets better by the third

The vital difference between improving and improvving.  (I don't know if that's a legitimate spelling of the word or not...  but it really should be.)