Sabrina 2 CD from La-La Land Records (2023)

DangerMotif

16 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

I think he's asking whether those tracks are made up of more than one cue per track, or if they were single cues that were chopped up in the film.

That.

sorry for the mess

Lots of Williams' score is chopped up, moved around, tracked into other scenes, or just unused in the film. My list doesn't reflect any of that, just the full cues where they were intended to go, with the party music that got used in the film sequenced where it was used. 

So yea, if I split up a main program track, it's because the track is comprised of multiple cues, and something went chronologically in between them. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Lots of Williams' score is chopped up, moved around, tracked into other scenes, or just unused in the film. My list doesn't reflect any of that, just the full cues where they were intended to go, with the party music that got used in the film sequenced where it was used. 

So yea, if I split up a main program track, it's because the track is comprised of multiple cues, and something went chronologically in between them. 

👍🏼

In this week's edition of weird mashups my brain came up with and I can't forget: when the theme from Sabrina plays in my head, the string bridge from Minority Report's A New Beginning comes in after a statement, and then Sabrina continues after.

Well, after the first few listens I can say for sure that I really like this score! In my mind I slot it between Presumed Innocence and Always, having more variation and diversity than the former but not as much of a clear dramatic arc and satisfying resolution as the latter. I knew it was going to be piano-heavy but not how woodwind-heavy it is! Woodwinds are great!

The booklet's nice, though it talks more about the movie and JW's inspirations than the score. I wasn't a big fan of the movie but when I read that it was a remake of a 1954 one I just went "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, yeah it makes sense now!" Titus is great as always, mostly tastefully  simple and elegantly restrained here.

I also really like Party in the Moonlight! It will probably most commonly function as some nice easy listening to put on as pleasant background noise, but I love how much overthinking and "story' Mike put into it in the booklet! One thing that weirdly stands out is La Vie An Rose at the end - not only is it the only tune from it that I already knew, but IMO somehow it feels like a different kind than the rest of the disc, bigger, louder, more in your face.

Maybe they wanted it to stand out during the second party sequence since its a call back to the song's melody being used as underscore during the final Paris scene

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, Trope said:

Does anybody else hear similarities between certain phrases from JW's "How Can I Remember?" and "Reflection" from Mulan (1998)?

Yes. Every time. And I prefer Reflection. Even though How Can I Remember was there first.

• 5 months later...

I'm not sure if I've even listened to this one since I did the iso score but now I did (needed a short sweet listen after last night's Requiem for Humanity aka A.I. ) and man, what a lovely perfectly flowing main program! Mike worked wonders with this mess of tiny cues and many versions.