Sabrina 2 CD from La-La Land Records (2023)

DangerMotif

17 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

I didn’t think so! I certainly wasn’t expecting two CDs for this one. The most significant missing cue I know of is the finale, M36 Catch That Girl.

Forgive me if this is a really silly question, but is 'Catch That Girl' just an alternate version of 'Linus' New Life' from the original CD? I'm not quite sure but I think the version on the CD is the one that appears in the film at the beginning of the video you posted? Linus' New Life doesn't match with the sheets but it has a lot of the same ideas. Sorry again if I'm being oblivious.

43 minutes ago, Pat_S said:

Forgive me if this is a really silly question, but is 'Catch That Girl' just an alternate version of 'Linus' New Life' from the original CD? I'm not quite sure but I think the version on the CD is the one that appears in the film at the beginning of the video you posted? Linus' New Life doesn't match with the sheets but it has a lot of the same ideas. Sorry again if I'm being oblivious.

Funny you say that. I watched @BrotherSound's video of the finale, saw the final cue was unreleased, then heard OST track Linus New Life.

I was then extremely confused. Without knowing the score too well, the OST track sounded exactly like the film finale. Beat for beat I could visualise the scenes from the movie with that OST track.

So yeah, I reckon the album track is an alternate and the film finale is unreleased.

Mike Matessino has revealed that the film version of Moonlight will not be included in the FSM thread.

Hopefully it includes the film version of Moonlight by Sting. It was only available on a 2 track promo CD

https://www.discogs.com/release/1948278-Sting-Moonlight

UMG has no sublicensing rights for that version, sorry to say.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Mike Matessino has revealed that the film version of Moonlight will not be included in the FSM thread.

Hopefully it includes the film version of Moonlight by Sting. It was only available on a 2 track promo CD

At least it's released somewhere 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ugh.. That's a pity..:(

I always hope for definitive complete versions, and in the end something is missing...

I'm a bit confused. There's a version of Moonlight performed by Sting on the OST.

So the film version was different to the album version, but has only ever been released on a 2-track promo CD? And it can't be included on the new LLL for licensing reasons?

On the release itself, I'm surprised it's 2CDs. I would've thought everything on the OST would be covered in the complete film score on a single disc. I suspect this might be a Rosewood situation where licensing required the OST presentation be included, unchanged, on disc 2.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

They announce an expansion of Sabrina and people are talking about... Sting.

:nono:

Well, it's an unknown. Titanic didn't have My Heart Will Go On. Die Another Day didn't have the title song. And this is Sting singing a Williams song, no?

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'm a bit confused. There's a version of Moonlight performed by Sting on the OST.

So the film version was different to the album version, but has only ever been released on a 2-track promo CD? And it can't be included on the new LLL for licensing reasons?

On the release itself, I'm surprised it's 2CDs. I would've thought everything on the OST would be covered in the complete film score on a single disc. I suspect this might be a Rosewood situation where licensing required the OST presentation be included, unchanged, on disc 2.

I checked the promo single and I believe the film version is an edit from the album one.

Minus some very light mixing differences (at least to my ears, some very subtle details may be more evident on one than another and the album version sounded brighter), you can easily recreate the edit this way (approximate times rounded to the nearest second):

0:00 to 1:51

3:51 to 4:40

Fade out starting at 4:40 until 4:56 (the fade is more intense in the first few seconds then more subtle when is already very low).

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I think 'round my parts I've seen it spelled without the h more often than with. Either way is acceptable AFAIK

"Yea" is a common spelling, but the correct spelling is indeed "yeah." Bespin's right—technically, "yea" is the opposite of "nay" (with which it rhymes). 🤓

Of course, all words are made up and spelling changes over time, so if enough people drop the "h" over the years, maybe that'll become the standard. My own dad has been Team Yea my whole life!

Anyway, Sabrina! I'll be curious to hear samples. I've never heard this score.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

In the FSM thread, @TownerFan says:

Stay tuned for an exclusive preview of this new stunning edition on The Legacy of John Williams podcast. 

I hope they will cover AMISTAD on this one too.

I dunno, wasn't a top priority for me.Depends how much unreleased/alternates there are other than minute orchestration variations .And I don't care about the song

11 hours ago, Jay said:

In the FSM thread, @TownerFan says:

Stay tuned for an exclusive preview of this new stunning edition on The Legacy of John Williams podcast. 

What happened to townerfan, why isn't he posting here anymore?

14 hours ago, Datameister said:

"Yea" is a common spelling, but the correct spelling is indeed "yeah." Bespin's right—technically, "yea" is the opposite of "nay" (with which it rhymes). 🤓

Incidentally it rhymes with “Jay” too…

coincidence? 😜

sad about that moonlight version, but if it is more or less a shorter rerecorded edit i dont care that much as i would put the full son on the main program anyway. At least it is released in a singlea.

9 hours ago, Steve said:

What happened to townerfan, why isn't he posting here anymore?

I don't think he has publicly said why, you'd have to contact him through his website and ask him to try to find out

16 hours ago, Amer said:

I hope they will cover AMISTAD on this one too.

I remember them saying somewhere they wouldn't because MM worked on it so long ago.

On 22/04/2023 at 2:41 AM, filmmusic said:

I would guess he knows that, he just meant he doesn't need them mixed in with the orchestral score.

Or am I wrong @Smeltington?

I'm thinking of JFK and Catch Me If You Can, where there are pre-existing songs sprinkled around. I guess I'm revealing my ignorance of the Sabrina score.

Huh that's interesting that it's not on streaming, usually Disney Records likes making money! 

Maybe the contract Centroplis made with Hollywood Records was only for a limited time and it's now expired, so the music rights have reverted to them.

I’ll admit I’ve only spun the OST a couple of times. So while I’m very familiar with the Theme, it’s not one I come back to frequently. 

So an expansion, like always is a welcome chance to revisit from a different angle in hopes of inviting new appreciation.  

5 hours ago, Andy said:

I’ll admit I’ve only spun the OST a couple of times. So while I’m very familiar with the Theme, it’s not one I come back to frequently. 

So an expansion, like always is a welcome chance to revisit from a different angle in hopes of inviting new appreciation.  

Quite similar here. When I am in the mood to listen to a John Williams score, I realize that I tend to ommit the albums that contain many songs and source music and rather look for something, that feels more consistent musically. That is why albums like Sabrina, Catch Me If You Can or J.F.K. don't spin too often. Even though all of these are great scores and good albums.

Let's see how this expansion flows.

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

Sabrina 2, yesss! Linus is now 90 yo and fall in love with Sabrina's grand daughter.

The plot of the first movie was creepy 20 years ago, wait for this one!

I thought Sabrina 2 would be a court room drama about Sabrina making claims of sexual misconduct over the events of the first film.

35 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Sabrina 2: The Revenge

Sabrina 2: The Wrath of Sabrina

Sabrina: Age of Ultron

The Desolation of Sabrina

The Desolation of Sabrina! :lol: