Sabrina 2 CD from La-La Land Records (2023)

DangerMotif

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I am curious, if there is any difference between and

1. Theme From Sabrina (Extended Version) 5:19

and

35. Theme From Sabrina (Reprise) 5:21

The two tracks are suspiciously equal in length.

Maybe one of them is like the ost, with the solo piano rendition in the beginning and then the orchestra takes over in the middle, and the other is like in the sheet music, that is, with the orchestra accompanying the piano rendition of the theme from the beginning.

2 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Maybe one of them is like the ost, with the solo piano rendition in the beginning and then the orchestra takes over in the middle, and the other is like in the sheet music, that is, with the orchestra accompanying the piano rendition of the theme from the beginning.

That would be great of course. But as none of the two has an * at the end, both versions seem to be on the OST. And there are just two of them. 

I guess "24. End Credits 4:24" is probably the non-extended version of "Theme from Sabrina", that starts the OST. And the extended and the reprise are then probably equal to the OST's final track.

But we will see.

5 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

But as none of the two has an * at the end, both versions seem to be on the OST. And there are just two of them

The asterisk doesn't mean that the track is unreleased.

It means (if you see the bottom of the track list) that it contains the melody of Moonlight.

We don't know at this time which tracks are unreleased and which ones are from the ost.

5 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

That would be great of course. But as none of the two has an * at the end, both versions seem to be on the OST. And there are just two of them. 

I guess "24. End Credits 4:24" is probably the non-extended version of "Theme from Sabrina", that starts the OST. And the extended and the reprise are then probably equal to the OST's final track.

But we will see.

The "*" signifies that the track "Contains '(In The) Moonlight'", not that it is an unreleased cue.

"Theme From Sabrina" on the OST album is literally identical to "Theme From Sabrina (Reprise)" on the OST album, except that the final ~45 seconds of Williams' piano solo is snipped out in the former track, and left in in the latter track.

So it's clear that

OST 01 Theme From Sabrina = an edit

OST 13 Theme From Sabrina (Reprise) = LLL1-01 Theme From Sabrina (Extended Version) = LLL1-35 Theme From Sabrina (Reprise) = the unedited recording.

EDIT!  I was wrong!

Here's correct info:

"Theme From Sabrina" on the OST album has a slightly different performance of the orchestral ending compared to "Theme From Sabrina (Reprise)", and it also has the final ~45 seconds of John Williams piano solo snipped out.

So therefore we can assume that "Theme From Sabrina (Extended Version)" is the same performance as "Theme From Sabrina", only now without the piano solo shortened.

And that the LLL "Theme From Sabrina (Reprise)" is the same content as the OST "Theme From Sabrina (Reprise)".

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

LLL1-01 Theme From Sabrina (Extended Version) = LLL1-35 Theme From Sabrina (Reprise)

I don't understand.

How is it clear that track 1 is identical to track 35 of the new LLL edition?

And if they are, why there was need to repeat the track?

I don't understand how you're confused :lol:

On the OST album, track 1 "Theme From Sabrina" 0:00-2:07 is identical to track 13 "The From Sabrina (Reprise)" 0:00-2:07; and 2:07-end is identical to "Reprise" 2:53-end

The OST's track 1 is just an edit of track 13 (the 2:07-2:53 part is sliced out).  It's not a different composition, performance, or recording.  It's an edit made after the fact for the album listening experience.

On the LLL, 1-35 "Theme From Sabrina (Reprise)" must match OST track 13, because the titles are identical.

And, therefore, is is logical to assume that 1-01 "Theme From Sabrina (Extended Version)" is also the same piece of music, since the OST's "Theme From Sabrina" is an edit of the full recording.

Do you follow my logic now?

EDIT: I was wrong, see above post

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

The OST's track 1 is just an edit of track 13.  It's not a different composition, performance, or recording.  It's an edit made after the fact for the album listening experience.

I understood that. this is not what I asked.

I asked, how de we know that LLL track 1 = LLL track 35.

8 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

And if they are, why there was need to repeat the track?

I could imagine the same reason, why Williams opned and closed many of his OSTs in the 90s with the same track. As there is no overture in modern movies the theme at the beginning works as some kind of exposition for the score. And at the end it works as an end credits suite. But actually I don't know. I can only guess.

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Do you follow my logic now?

Yes, but I don't agree. 

:lol:

We'll see.

So, according to you, there is no version that matches the sheet music, right? with the orchestra accompanying from the beginning of the track.

27 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

The asterisk doesn't mean that the track is unreleased.

It means (if you see the bottom of the track list) that it contains the melody of Moonlight.

We don't know at this time which tracks are unreleased and which ones are from the ost.

weird they didn’t note which were unreleased. Personally, knowing which tracks contained either song’s theme is something I didn’t really need to know. Maybe the lyricists’ contract required it 

3 minutes ago, Alejandro said:

Personally, knowing which tracks contained either song’s theme is something I didn’t really need to know.

No, I like to know , but I 'd like to know too at this time which tracks are unreleased.

4 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Yes, but I don't agree. 

:lol:

We'll see.

I think you're missing that the "Extended Version" moniker being included means that the majority of the track is identical to the OST track "Theme From Sabrina", and then there's more stuff now included, that wasn't in the OST version.  If the parenthetical was "Alternate" then the opportunity would be open for that track to contain literally anything.  But "Extended Version" narrows it down to - I'd say - exactly 1 possibility only.

If LLL 1 is the same as LLL 35, why it has been included? Williams wanted it to open and end the cd like in the ost?

21 minutes ago, Alejandro said:

Didn’t Dees record a version of Moonlight?

That

Wow, what a nice looking tracklist. I didn't expect this release to have so much music to explore, what a welcome treat!

53 minutes ago, Alejandro said:

Didn’t Dees record a version of Moonlight?

Yea, and he appears on screen lip syncing to his own version, in the film.

BTW, your avatar image is not displaying, can you replace it with a working image?

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, and he appears on screen lip syncing to his own version, in the film.

So … is it on the album? 

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

The only thing I miss is a piano solo arrangement of "Theme From Sabrina".

But ok. We have the Simone Pedroni recording in addition.

We've had a full 3 minute solo piano arrangement performed by JW himself since the OST album came out.  It's the first 3 minutes of "Theme From Sabrina (Reprise)" there.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

We've had a full 3 minute solo piano arrangement performed by JW himself since the OST album came out.  It's the first 3 minutes of "Theme From Sabrina (Reprise)" there.

Yes, I know. And I could have created an piano only edit from it.

But in general I like it when the themes are presented in a piano only version from beginning to end and not merging into a version with orchestra.

Like the piano version of None But The Brave on the FSM album or the piano version of With Malice Towards None at the end of the Lincoln OST. But that's just nice to have of course.

But like Mike Matessino mentioned in the podcast. These piano only tracks seem to bring the listener closer to how these pieces originated.

Yes, I could just switch off the extended version after 3 minutes and I would have my piano only version. Still it makes a difference to me.

Anyway, I am more than fine with what we are going to get.

36 minutes ago, Alejandro said:

So … is it on the album? 

It doesn't appear to be. No.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if one of those 3 Moonlight party instrumentals, is the version he sang, just without his singing.

On 02/05/2023 at 3:32 AM, filmmusic said:

For example, can anyone guess which track is the NANTUCKET VISIT that I really liked from the ost? :unsure:

BTW, about this track title: Am I crazy, or do they not even go to Nantucket in the film?  They go to Martha's Vineyard, right?

47 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

It doesn't appear to be. No.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if one of those 3 Moonlight party instrumentals, is the version he sang, just without his singing.

Which would be sad… because, ok sting may be a problem to license… but the film version is part of the williams score….

Mike Matessino says:

Interesting to see new track titles by Williams.

I'm guessing the Nantucket Visit track from the old album is now Off To The Vineyard?

"Nantucket Visit" was cobbled together from parts of "Work Montage," "Sabrina Is Home" and "Linus And Mother."

"Off To The Vineyard" is half of "Sabrina Comes Home" from the original album (and the other half was "Linus And Father.")

If that gives you a headache, then just tune out and enjoy.

I'm listening to the samples and there's no way I would have believed you if you told me JW composed "Learning the Ropes" outside of the melody the strings play. Like not a frickin' chance.

Either the liner notes will indicate he got a bit of outside help to program the synths or write the guitar part or whatever -- or I will be compelled to admit that JW really can write music in literally any style a scene might require.