A sign of things to come? Star Wars: The Piano Anthology - Music by John Williams Featuring Themes from All Nine Films Deluxe Hardcover Edition with a foreword by MIKE MATESSINO

Jurassic Shark

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Star Wars: The Piano Anthology - Music by John Williams Featuring Themes from All Nine Films Deluxe Hardcover Edition with a foreword by Mike Matessino

41QLuwyw+gL.jpg

image.png

image.png

image.png

Looks like the main title theme has gotten a new arrangement! Let's hope they've updated more of the simplest arrangements from the OT.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Anthology-Featuring-Hardcover/dp/1705165583

This is great for anyone who doesn't have any SW piano music.

But everything in this collection was released in separate folios according to each episode, with the same arrangements. There are cues missing in this compilation that were included in the separate folio releases (e.g. Ep IV Ben's Death and TIE Fighter Attack; Ep VI The Ewok Battle and In the Court of Jabba the Hutt; Ep VIII Canto Bight). 

So if you have all the individual folios then this book may not be for you.

Here's hoping there'll be a release of a piano transcription of the complete scores one day (including releases of the full scores)...

Yeah, but...

45 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, perhaps this is a companion to Star Wars: The Anthology - Music by John Williams, on 50 LPs. :)

11 minutes ago, That_Bloke said:

There are cues missing in this compilation that were included in the separate folio releases

I don't see why they would exclude a few pieces from a "definitive" collection like this. Probably to get people to purchase more.

They probably got Mike because he's an authority on Star Wars music due to his work on the SEs! May they remain in print forever!

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, perhaps this is a companion to Star Wars: The Anthology - Music by John Williams, on 50 LPs. :)

You think so?

41 minutes ago, That_Bloke said:

There are cues missing in this compilation that were included in the separate folio releases

Sounds more like we'll get a few cues from each film, on 1 LP! With cues missing that were included in the OSTs. ;) 

Might have to pick this up then realise my playing is a lot rustier than I thought... I picked up what would now be the A New Hope selections and got it signed by Anthony Daniels after a concert, so is something of a treasured possession. The arrangements are a lot trickier than the standard piano versions you get but more interesting as a result. For a really decent result, you probably need to arrange JW's stuff for four hands. I'd definitely enjoy hearing some of his stuff arranged in that way (I know there's already such things out there on YouTube etc.), but tracks like The Asteroid Field or Here They Come rather than just the theme concert arrangements. Interesting that the original trilogy probably has the most standard selections whereas the sequels in particular feature more actual score cues. I've always wanted to play the Mynock Cave cue as you can hear JW playing bits of it in that excellent BBC documentary about him writing the score to Empire and it's amazing how good it sounds just played as chords in the piano.

Great, but usually Star Wars music arranged for solo piano sounds not very great.

It's like Beethoven's symphonies arranged by Liszt on the piano... ok we recognize the works... but it's very "downsized"... something is clearly missing, like a whole section of strings and winds perhaps... hehe

52 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Sounds more like we'll get a few cues from each film, on 1 LP! With cues missing that were included in the OSTs.

I'd be happy with one CD of Star Wars music arranged for piano.

46 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Great, but usually Star Wars music arranged for solo piano sounds not very great.

It's like Beethoven's symphonies arranged by Liszt on the piano... ok we recognize the works... but it's very "downsized"... something is clearly missing, like a whole section of strings and winds perhaps... hehe

It is a lot harder to play the full symphonic versions in your living room.  Goofy maybe could do it.  

50 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

The arrangements are a lot trickier than the standard piano versions you get but more interesting as a result.

What are you referring to here? Your A New Hope folio?

More pieces from TROS than any other Disney-era film...John Williams' favorite sequel confirmed!

I'd be happy with one CD of Star Wars music arranged for piano.

If it was arranged by John Williams I'd be really happy. Especially if it included the prequels 'n' sequels. I'd love to see him revisit those more.

Okay, perhaps only 40.

Much more sensible.

2 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

If it was arranged by John Williams I'd be really happy. Especially if it included the prequels 'n' sequels. I'd love to see him revisit those more.

ESPECIALLY if he played it himself.

My understanding is that nothing on this book is unreleased, and most is still in print.

I already have all the folios, as well as the special edition and the Tony Esposito arrangement, however I think I will still buy it.

But I really hope they will do something similar for Indiana Jones: still can't believe the Last Crusade didn't have a piano folio...

• 4 months later...

It boggles my mind that better piano arrangements haven't been commissioned by publishers for these scores. Some of them are absolutely terrible; either far too simplistic, riddled with transcription errors, or otherwise completely unpianistic. I'd love to hear actual piano arrangements - idiomatically made with the instrument in mind instead of being a basic orchestral reduction (like the piano part in the violin/piano "Devils Dance" arrangement). I suppose that would eat into the publishers' profit margins, and it's unlikely to happen unless Williams arranged them personally.

1 hour ago, Docteur Qui said:

It boggles my mind that better piano arrangements haven't been commissioned by publishers for these scores.

Look for Philip Keveren's arrangements, a professional arranger published by Hal Leonard (the Philip Keveren Series). Highly pianistic, not too challenging but rewarding for intermediate pianists. There's a volume dedicated to Star Wars covering the first 7 movies.

21 hours ago, The Lost Folio said:

Look for Philip Keveren's arrangements, a professional arranger published by Hal Leonard (the Philip Keveren Series). Highly pianistic, not too challenging but rewarding for intermediate pianists. There's a volume dedicated to Star Wars covering the first 7 movies.

From what I've seen of Keveren's arrangements, I think they stray too far from the originals. In that regard the Esposito arrangements of ep. IV and I are preferable. 

Such a great arrangement! I wish someone would record it in full. There are some beautifully written passages in there!

However, this is not the actual folio of episode IV. The original folio is the one picture on my profile pic. It's terrible, but it's a nice collector's item.

Possibly similar, but this is coming from a different publisher (Faber instead of Hal Leonard), so the format and layout could be different. Here's the contents:

Harry’s Wondrous World

Diagon Alley

Nimbus 2000

Voldemort

Leaving Hogwarts

Hedwig’s Theme

The Chamber of Secrets

Fawkes the Phoenix

The Spiders

Buckbeak’s Flight

A Window to the Past

Hagrid the Professor

The Quidditch World Cup (The Irish)

Neville’s Waltz

Harry in Winter

Potter Waltz

Death of Cedric

Hogwarts’ March

Hogwarts’ Hymn

Fireworks

Professor Umbridge

Dumbledore’s Army

The Room of Requirement

The Ministry of Magic

Loved Ones and Leaving

Harry and Hermione

In Noctem

Ginny

Wizard Wheezes

Farewell Aragog

When Ginny Kissed Harry

Slughorn’s Confession

Dumbledore’s Farewell

The Weasley Stomp

Obliviate

Snape to Malfoy Manor

At the Burrow

Godric’s Hollow Graveyard

Harry and Ginny

Farewell to Dobby

Statues

Lily’s Theme

Courtyard Apocalypse

Severus and Lily

The Resurrection Stone

A New Beginning

A Man and His Beasts

End Titles, Pt.2

Kowalski Rag

Newt Says Goodbye to Tina/Jacob’s Bakery

Salamander Eyes

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Dumbledore’s Theme

Leta’s Theme

Fantastic Beasts Theme

The Ceremony

I wonder if these are different arrangements, or if they've licenced the arrangements from the original folios.

The original folios were published by Alfred Music, which is currently distributed by Faber Music. No special licencing is required. So, I think we can expect they will be the same arrangements we already know. Considering the cheap price (compared to the Star Wars hardcover book), I would not expect anything fancy!