John Williams/Stéphane Denève to conduct the Saito Kinen Orchestra in Tokyo, Japan (Sept. 5, 2023)

AOP

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wish I could go to both of these Japan concerts :(

Yeah, these would be nice ones to add.

Alas, I'm still so grateful that JW managed to visit Europe four times in three years: Vienna, Berlin, Vienna, Milan (a total of 8 full-time concerts without supporting conductor!). 

7 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Johnny could make the most of the trip and since he's gonna be there, score that Blue anime we all thought he was gonna do :lol:

It would probably sell in a jiffy like this one:

A Symphonic Celebration von Joe Hisaishi - Limitierte Signierte Nummerierte 2 Vinyl White Label + Art Card jetzt im Deutsche Grammophon Store

Deutsche Grammophon - der offizielle Shop - A Symphonic Celebration - Joe Hisaishi - Limitierte Signierte Nummerierte 2 Vinyl White Label + Art Card

Did  anyne see the updated rules? they talk alot about "resale" tickets are now allowed and may be refused at the door. Idk if that means that you have a friend buy for you with their name or what. although I supposed if you had a friend with an address they could just put your name using their address

@WilliamsStarShip2282, I haven’t seen the updated rules but they seem similar to the rules for the Ozawa Festival concert.

When I’ve bought tickets to concerts in Japan in the past, my name has usually been printed on the ticket because I bought them online. Yet, I’ve never once had my name checked at the door.

However, for hugely popular J-POP artists, I have heard that they do check since ticket scalping is a huge a problem.

It’s really hard to say for sure in this case, sorry.

But yeah, if you could get a friend to purchase under your name, you should be good!

Oh, and to mark JW’s first visit to Japan in 30 years, Sony Japan is reissuing a few albums in June - nothing new except fancy “blu-spec” CD upgrades and possibly a newly designed OBI. I’m waiting to see if they release any supplementary special merch like a postcard, poster, etc.

Will update when more info is released!

For more info, check this out:

https://tower.jp/article/feature_item/2023/05/11/0106

@WilliamsStarShip2282, I think you might be referring to the Williams concert at the Ozawa Matsumoto Festival in the other thread?

Registration for the lottery for that concert ends tonight at 23:59 JST (that time is actually written in an email I got from them!).

Good luck to all!

• 1 month later...

Update!!

https://www.universal-music.co.jp/classics/dg125-gala-concert/?fbclid=IwAR3UNJxZXWpP0gsrMyWrGT-s-kIWb_2I-OdOYNAw7rGCQ8Lv14EbJpGoUnM_aem_Ab2VotENr2PR0zhSrq82UjZMF4T9EmAWgBM_JpVoQvX0q11uSIIAGRNNAYRrds8J5f4

Ticket site:

https://eplus.jp/sf/detail/3904360001?P6=001&P1=0402&P59=1

There will be 2 separate ticket lottery periods - the first one is already under way.

General sales begin on August 5.

The VIP ticket, which costs a whopping 50,000 Japanese yen, includes access to the rehearsal (with Stephane Deneve) and some unspecified VIP “goods.” For that price, I sure hope it includes a meet and greet with JW! But most likely not - they usually give out some tacky merch, etc. In any case, there seem to be a very, very limited amount of VIP tickets…

The other ticket grades are still crazy expensive.

All of my Japan-based friends are going to apply for the lottery individually (single seats) so we can increase our chances of getting a ticket. 

Good luck to all!

8 hours ago, AOP said:

Thanks for the update.

Crazy expensive indeed:

VIP seats: ¥50,000 (~$349/£274/€312)

S seats: ¥37,000 (~$258/£203/€238)
A seats: ¥30,000 (~$209/£164/€193)

B seats: ¥25,000 (~$175/£137/€161)

P (podium) seats: ¥20,000 (~$140/£110/€128)

The Matsumoto Festival tickets look cheap in comparison (SS ¥30,000/S ¥25,000/A ¥20,000/B ¥12,000).

image.jpeg

11 hours ago, AOP said:

Update!!

https://www.universal-music.co.jp/classics/dg125-gala-concert/?fbclid=IwAR3UNJxZXWpP0gsrMyWrGT-s-kIWb_2I-OdOYNAw7rGCQ8Lv14EbJpGoUnM_aem_Ab2VotENr2PR0zhSrq82UjZMF4T9EmAWgBM_JpVoQvX0q11uSIIAGRNNAYRrds8J5f4

Ticket site:

https://eplus.jp/sf/detail/3904360001?P6=001&P1=0402&P59=1

There will be 2 separate ticket lottery periods - the first one is already under way.

General sales begin on August 5.

The VIP ticket, which costs a whopping 50,000 Japanese yen, includes access to the rehearsal (with Stephane Deneve) and some unspecified VIP “goods.” For that price, I sure hope it includes a meet and greet with JW! But most likely not - they usually give out some tacky merch, etc. In any case, there seem to be a very, very limited amount of VIP tickets…

All of my Japan-based friends are going to apply for the lottery individually (single seats) so we can increase our chances of getting a ticket. 

Good luck to all!

tacky merch...

Maybe a Fabelmans mug.

As long as DG record the gala concert and release it physically together with Vienna 2 in time for Christmas, I can accept this one being unreachable for me.

4 hours ago, Quppa said:

Crazy expensive indeed:

VIP seats: ¥50,000 (~$349/£274/€312)

S seats: ¥37,000 (~$258/£203/€238)
A seats: ¥30,000 (~$209/£164/€193)

B seats: ¥25,000 (~$175/£137/€161)

P (podium) seats: ¥20,000 (~$140/£110/€128)

Wowzers.

I was sitting close enough to touch the violinists in Milan. JW walked across the stage barely meters from me. And that ticket cost less than the 4th tier tickets for this concert.

So after creating artificial hoops to potentially access tickets (a lottery, proof of citizenship, conditions of purchase) and making the tickets highly elusive, they've used this self-inflicted scarcity to justify inflated ticket prices. Pretty gross.

On 7/7/2023 at 11:55 AM, crumbs said:

Let me guess, you can't apply for this lottery without being a Japanese resident?

@crumbs, unfortunately it seems to be that way… again.

The ticket website (https://member.eplus.jp/register-member) requires you to first register your details including your address and phone number - there are no options to add a non-Japanese address or phone number. 

And even if you win the lottery, you have to pick up the ticket from a local convenience store - Family Mart or Seven Eleven.

So you’re right - it pretty much prohibits people living abroad from getting tickets...

As someone who has lived in Japan for the last 20 years, I can honestly say that most systems in Japan are set up this way. Sad but true.

3 hours ago, Quppa said:

Looks like Deutsche Grammaphon will be broadcasting a recording of this concert on the 9th of September: https://www.stage-plus.com/video/live_concert_9HKNCPA3DTN66PBIEHFJ8C9N

My favourite streaming service ☺️

I wonder if there will be an album release. The set list is mostly a subset of the Berlin and Vienna concerts except for Sound the Bells! and Tributes! (for Seiji) (both to be conducted by Stéphane Denève). Maybe we'll get single releases of those.

Just now, Pawel P. said:

Wonderfully. :) 

Three Million Light Years from Home and Stargazers, which are part of the Suite from E.T.

This several times over.  I think this suite plays as a full symphony and demands a good recording.  

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Sound the Bells was performed in Vienna in March 2022 and released as a digital single.

And will be one of three bonus tracks on the upcoming physical "Special Edition" of the Viennese concert.

1st lottery results out today: of course, I lost. I applied for one ticket each in the top 3 price categories…

2nd lottery has already started! If I don’t win this, there’s one last chance when general sales open in early August.

I’m starting to think it’s easier to get an audience with the Pope than see Williams in concert in Japan!!

2 hours ago, AOP said:

1st lottery results out today: of course, I lost. I applied for one ticket each in the top 3 price categories…

2nd lottery has already started! If I don’t win this, there’s one last chance when general sales open in early August.

I’m starting to think it’s easier to get an audience with the Pope than see Williams in concert in Japan!!

It may even be easier to get the Dial of Destiny on CD.

Good luck with the second lottery!

On 20/07/2023 at 6:22 AM, AOP said:

Just wondering whether there has been any update on the outcome of the lotteries and the free ticket sale?

I’m starting to think John Williams did this on purpose, because he’s tired of seeing the same people at every one of his non-US concerts. 

On 28/7/2023 at 12:44 AM, BB-8 said:

Just wondering whether there has been any update on the outcome of the lotteries and the free ticket sale?

Results for the second lottery are coming out tomorrow!

General sales open on August 5 at 10am.

I’m very interested in the VIP package - they still haven’t listed in detail (except for the pre-concert rehearsal) what they get, but I’m sure it’s something good!

2 hours ago, AOP said:

2nd lottery results just released: 

I lose… again 😭

I'm so sad to hear this.

It's one thing to lock out non-Japanese residents (even though I'd travel there in a heartbeat) but to see diehard local fans being locked out is heartbreaking.

I'd be livid if this happened in Australia.

26 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm so sad to hear this.

It's one thing to lock out non-Japanese residents (even though I'd travel there in a heartbeat) but to see diehard local fans being locked out is heartbreaking.

I'd be livid if this happened in Australia.

@crumbs, you’re in Australia?

I’m actually an Australian living in Japan!

I don’t believe Williams has ever conducted in Australia before? 

1 hour ago, AOP said:

He has not, sadly. I'm not aware of him ever visiting Australia, for work or otherwise.

Austr(al)ia 1944

8 hours ago, AOP said:

I think ASM will be touring Australia with Violin Concerto No. 2 etc. but without JW in person.

57 minutes ago, Tom said:

Wait, what?  He just did two rounds in Vienna in the last couple of years.  

Did you think that the country of Austria in Europe and the continent of Australia were the same place?