Original Star Wars albums now available in Spatial Audio on Tidal and Apple Music

Jay

11 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

These are just the demasters remixed for atmos, right?

Yeah

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

Actually I'm very excited to have the center channel in many right channels instead of just one right channel!

That is actually a good point it'd probably be possible to make a proper downmix from this release instead of the utter trash that was the 2018 stereo mix

I have an Apple Music trial.  Is this worth my time if I'm not listening on Genuine AirPod$?

Only listened the main title from ROTJ and Emperor’s theme.

wow these sound amazing, never picked up on a weird theremin like sound in the emperors theme before.

Update:These albums are mixed very well Atmos wise

I’ve listened to the Star Wars soundtracks in surround for 20+ years now, ever since I got my first 5.1 home cinema back in the early ’00s.

I just pop in any of the CDs from my 1993 box set or the 1997 special edition CDs (holographic discs, naturally!) and choose the multichannel option on the receiver.

Sounds great.

So if you catpured the audio would it be multichannel or stereo? meaning if you opened it in audicty to see all the channels? 

3 hours ago, aj_vader said:

So if you catpured the audio would it be multichannel or stereo? meaning if you opened it in audicty to see all the channels? 

Depends how you capture it. I guess the web browser player outputs stereo for example.

Best chance to get this is by downloading the files directly from their servers, but I doubt it is legal and easy to do.

Well I've played some tracks in ESB and it seems like some issues we noticed on the 2018 demasters are gone here?

The first thing I played was that part at 4:39 in The Heroics of Luke and Han and it sounds normal here!

40 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Heroics of Luke and Han still has the same issues when I use my headphones with Apple Music, but maybe I’m not doing it right

It's definitely fixed, you're probably still listening to the old version. The left-channel annoying mix from the 2018 version is completely gone and the edit was corrected.

2018 version :

New version:

7 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Do we know if this isn't just the 2016 in atmos?

I suppose the original album masters that were transferred for the 2016 releases were only stereo. I don't see how they would have done true surround mixes based on those!

does it make a difference with headphones?

Does it still work if you convert the files to MP3?

I wonder how "The Dark Side Beckons will sound in Atmos....oh wait...

In the center channel of my DVD rip from ‘Empire Strikes Back’, I noticed that there was this piano part in the score during the sequence where Leia warns Luke that ‘it’s a trap’ against the laser-gun fire exchanges.  This piano part would occur in ‘Carbon Freeze/Darth Vader’s Trap’ at the track's 6:19 mark but you could barely hear it.  Does this piano part appear in any of the channels of that cue from that Apple album from?

2 hours ago, SyncMan said:

In the center channel of my DVD rip from ‘Empire Strikes Back’, I noticed that there was this piano part in the score during the sequence where Leia warns Luke that ‘it’s a trap’ against the laser-gun fire exchanges.  This piano part would occur in ‘Carbon Freeze/Darth Vader’s Trap’ at the track's 6:19 mark but you could barely hear it.  Does this piano part appear in any of the channels of that cue from that Apple album from?

The Atmos mix is for the OST, and that cue is not on the OST at all.

So what do you all think — Could these new Atmos mixes be the first hint of impending Matessino expansions?

From the bits Chewy showed me, there are still problems with for example percussion sounding completely lifeless in sections. As much as we'd like to hope and even though they fix some demaster issues, these are very likely not new Mike multitrack OST rebuilds.

2 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

So what do you all think — Could these new Atmos mixes be the first hint of impending Matessino expansions?

Sure. Just like the Mondo Hook vinyl remaster overseen by Matessino being a hint at a another expansion getting released.

3 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

The TIDAL credits only mention "Shawn Murphy" as an "immersive mix engineer", so Mike didn't work on this.

I wonder if they started with the atmos mix and then for the 2018 CD's it was summed down to stereo and that's why you have that odd L/R Centre feel to the mixes? 

Was Atmos as streaming music service a thing in 2018?

Or rather 2017, when the work on those was done?

Listening to Empire right now in my dedicated home theater room with 7.2.4 speakers. It is… impressive. My young boys are jumping to the Imperial March. 

The strings just sparkle!

Now if only they’d do Phantom Menace…

18 hours ago, Chewy said:

The TIDAL credits only mention "Shawn Murphy" as an "immersive mix engineer", so Mike didn't work on this.

Too bad. Still nice they put these out though.

10 hours ago, PokeDocMatt said:

Listening to Empire right now in my dedicated home theater room with 7.2.4 speakers. It is… impressive. My young boys are jumping to the Imperial March. 

The strings just sparkle!

Now if only they’d do Phantom Menace…

I'm just realizing, an Atmos TPM release could potentially be the perfect source for the instrumental DOTF!

@Manakin Skywalker I am extremely, extremely sorry for my dickishness in the Expansion Tracklist thread. :(

10 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

@Manakin Skywalker I am extremely, extremely sorry for my dickishness in the Expansion Tracklist thread. :(

I... actually don't know what this is in reference to :lol:

EDIT: Oh wait nevermind, the DOTF thing lol. No worries, that's just your personal preference is all!

10 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

I'm just realizing, an Atmos TPM release could potentially be the perfect source for the instrumental DOTF!

Unfortunately I don't think so... the choir is usually mixed in each of the channels :(

6 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Oh wait nevermind, the DOTF thing lol. No worries, that's just your personal preference is all!

Thank you, good sir. :)  To tell the truth, since that thread I'd been agonizing over it every time I listened to TPM, or even thought about listening to it.  I'm glad I took this opportunity to resolve the issue properly.

6 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Unfortunately I don't think so... the choir is usually mixed in each of the channels :(

Well...  let's hope that isn't the case once it happens. :(

30 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Well...  let's hope that isn't the case once it happens. :(

Btw we do have 5.1 mixes of several tracks from the Musical Journey DVD (came with the ROTS album) and the choir is in every channel, just like the DVD/Blu-ray rips. Choir typically isn't mixed center-only, as that would kinda sound like crap. :lol:

I’ll be fine with my stereo CDs for the OT remastered by Mike Matessino released by one of the specialty labels in 2077 for the 100th Anniversary of Star Wars and the 145th Birthday Celebration of John Williams. 

4 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Btw we do have 5.1 mixes of several tracks from the Musical Journey DVD (came with the ROTS album) and the choir is in every channel, just like the DVD/Blu-ray rips. Choir typically isn't mixed center-only, as that would kinda sound like crap. :lol:

I take it that this means the raw Atmos files wouldn't necessarily be the original recording stems?

4 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

I take it that this means the raw Atmos files wouldn't necessarily be the original recording stems?

No 😥

12 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Nope, Atmos album mixes are just standard 5.1 surround sound.

6 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Nope, Atmos album mixes are just standard 5.1 surround sound.

Sort of.