Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Cannes Score reactions)

Jay

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Keep in mind, I posted it just to show how stupid he is.  

The guy haven't watched other Indy films besides Raiders and this one and thinks a JW score is "whatever", so yeah... he's pretty stupid.

3 hours ago, DangerMotif said:

This is all set to what is said to be John Williams’ final score before retirement, which frankly stands as one of the most elating scores of his late career. https://discussingfilm.net/2023/05/20/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-review-harrison-fords-swan-song/

It just struck me I don't recall coming across the adjective "elating" before. The related "ed" form: "Elated" yes, and I'm sure I'll be elated by the score. I like it when writers use less common but not totally obscure words!

12 hours ago, Remco said:

I don't even want to watch this full review (he didn't watch any other indy film than Raiders) but screw what he says about the score. It's the typical thing an unmusical person who wants to hate the movie beforehand would say about the score. 'John Williams score is... whatever'.

He said the same thing about Fabelmans if I remember correctly. I’ve seen several videos by him, and his personality is awful and smug. Always trying to sound smart, but failing miserably because he only believes in arthouse films.

23 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

On principle, I never watch YouTube videos where the thumbnail has the youtuber making some stupid ass face like that. That’s how you identify people who just make contrarian opinions for clicks, and they shouldn’t be rewarded. It hasn’t steered me wrong thus far. 

If you never watch videos with thumbnails with stupid faces, how do you know it's just contrarian opinions for clicks?

You are aware that being a Youtuber is pretty hard as far as getting views is concerned, especially if the algorithm is against you if you make content that is, let's just say contrarian?

I will never understand how some people just cannot accept the idea that people can have wildly different opinions on something, so it must be "just to be contrarian".

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The average JWFaner doesn't watch reviews on YouTube but rather reads them in the newspaper. "Only serious critics whose reviews are worth reading!" 

Sure we do. That’s why there’s a whole Red Letter Media thread. It’s just them though. The other reviewers being discussed in this thread are obvious garbage.

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

Sure we do. That’s why there’s a whole Red Letter Media thread. It’s just them though. The other reviewers being discussed in this thread are obvious garbage.

See, that's the problem. Sure, there are some stupid clickbait channels who produce cheap but shocking content in pursuit of an audience. They excel in clickbait titles for their videos and stupid thumbnails and mostly yell about hating a movie during 15 minutes. A lot of those became famous in the aftermath of The Last Jedi. Who can't forget the thousands of stupid "tHe LaSt JeDi iS tHe WoRsT pIeCe oF GaRbAge EvEr!" rants?

But it's also not cool to generalize and pretend everything is garbage. There are some genuinely great reviewers on YouTube who produce quality and well-researched content. Others aren't exactly the new Roger Ebert but their reviews are so entertaining that you can't help but have fun. It's channels like Saberspark, Godzilla Mendonza, Cosmonaut Variety Hour, etc.

I'm the last person to defend YouTube and I recognize 95% of that website is trash. Still, there are a lot of other great content. You just have to know where to look ;)

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

See, that's the problem. Sure, there are some stupid clickbait channels who produce cheap but shocking content in pursuit of an audience. They excel in clickbait titles for their videos and stupid thumbnails and mostly yell about hating a movie during 15 minutes. A lot of those became famous in the aftermath of The Last Jedi. Who can't forget the thousands of stupid "tHe LaSt JeDi iS tHe WoRsT pIeCe oF GaRbAge EvEr!" rants?

But it's also not cool to generalize and pretend everything is garbage. There are some genuinely great reviewers on YouTube who produce quality and well-researched content. Others aren't exactly the new Roger Ebert but their reviews are so entertaining that you can't help but have fun. It's channels like Saberspark, Godzilla Mendonza, Cosmonaut Variety Hour, etc.

I'm the last person to defend YouTube and I recognize 95% of that website is trash. Still, there are a lot of other great content. You just have to know where to look ;)

I think it's more or less the type of thumbnail we're judging.

But to your point, take Chris Stuckmann. He does those dopey thumbnails. And I will admit he's not toxic and a genuinely fair, respectful reviewer with decent points. But his reviews are always incredibly surface level with really nothing deeper than a mild opinion.

But we're mostly all shitting on the stereotypical thumbnail.

On 19/05/2023 at 11:56 AM, crumbs said:

Mangold already said Williams only planned to do the themes then hand off the score to his "team" (aka Ross). Clearly JW just kept writing, but he might have thrown a few cues to Ross and told him to adapt specific cues from other films.

Where did you pull that one out of? In 2 years of following this I never read anything about Williams writing the themes and letting his 'team" do the rest of the score like a Solo situation . It's pretty clear it was always Williams doing the whole thing. Not sure why your bringing this up so people start thinking it's like CoS  and speculate some action cues are written by William Ross

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

Where did you pull that one out of? In 2 years of following this I never read anything about Williams writing the themes and letting his 'team" do the rest of the score like a Solo situation . It's pretty clear it was always Williams doing the whole thing.

You obviously didn't look too hard. It's literally on the front page:

Mangold on securing Williams:

“I was thrilled beyond belief, but at first he was going to write some themes, you know, and then hire some people to help arrange it throughout the movie. And then he saw the movie. And then he started writing themes, and then he just didn’t stop until he had written over two hours of music. 

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I love it when you panic due to people thinking that someone other than your overlord wrote an Indiana Jones score.

I don't think anyone here would prefer a "themes by JW, score by William Ross". 

Unless we have Ross fans out there somewhere hidden in the forum...

There are some film music fans who enjoy the music whoever wrote it and those who really want to know (as much as possible) who did what. I'm on the second camp, and I think KM is too. 

21 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

No it's good that JW wrote it in its entirety. I'm just amused by those who are far more worried about who wrote a score than how good it is.

You pick a team and root for it.  I can appreciate the brilliant play of another team, but I am not going to enjoy it like if it were my own team.  

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I don't think anyone here would prefer a "themes by JW, score by William Ross". 

It wouldn't end my world.

7 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

It wouldn't end my world.

You only care about your Pinnock box now.

32 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

Let's not act like an Indy score by anyone besides JW would be dissapointing as long as JW is alive.

What?

18 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Join the John Powell fandom

Explore new worlds

Learn valuables skills

Bring order and unity to the Internet

Be a part of something

Join the John Powell fandom

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I know it is probably wrong of me, but I am happy with the negative reviews.  The worse the movie, the more Williams would have scored the hell out of it to try and make it work.  

Wait...so do you love the score to KOTCS?

(I do)