The best Star Wars music, ranked (Entertainment Weekly)

80sFan

13 hours ago, Benhip said:

In recent years, top-notch composers like Michael GiacchinoNicholas Britell, and Ludwig Göranssonhave all put their own stamp on Star Wars.

Seriously, they don’t even evoke the best one ?

That's because they had already mentioned him twice in the previous sentences...

I don't really care that the article includes as much music from different Star Wars properties as possible, that's presumably what they were paid to do - it's just a fluff piece.

I do think it's really pathetic that half the OT music isn't commercially available and they had to link to some random uploads because there are no official ones

Look at it this way. Youngsters who maybe aren’t into soundtracks in general but are Star Wars fans - maybe even lured into the franchise by the Disney+ hypemachine - will feel affirmation when “their” shows are on the list, i.e. The Mandalorian, Book Of Boba Fett, Kenobi and Andor

From there it might entice them to click a link that leads to a cue from the “traditional” soundtracks.

Any other agenda behind this list is bull.

So, all good in the hood if this list introduces any new fans to our John.

On 19/05/2023 at 6:57 PM, Chen G. said:

I'd definitely put Binary Sunset first, personally.

Where the hell did that title come from? Can you even imagine Williams thinking those words, let alone spelling them? Wasn't the closest to a sci-fi term he ever used "hyperspace"?

4 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Wasn't the closest to a sci-fi term he ever used "hyperspace"?

He must have thought "binary sunset" poetic, rather than sci-fi. I don't think its a term of Lucas'.

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

He must have thought "binary sunset" poetic, rather than sci-fi. I don't think its a term of Lucas'.

Those that know better than I can comment, but I'm fairly certain Binary Sunset first appeared on the 1997 set and is not from any of Williams' titles.

I enjoy Solo out of the non-Williams SW scores the most as well, but bear in mind that Williams wrote the main theme that Powell quotes as many times as possible, and rightfully so, and without Williams’ theme imho Solo would only be just another “typical” Powell-score. Now I like Powell’s work very much, but it’s Williams’ theme that is the backbone of Solo and Powell paints a lovely “picture” around it with his trademark style flawlessly. Hence it’s my favorite non-Williams Star Wars score.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Binary Sunset first appeared on the 1997 set and is not from any of Williams' titles.

It’s called “The Princess Appears” on Side C of the original 1977 LP. 

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Where the hell did that title come from? Can you even imagine Williams thinking those words, let alone spelling them? Wasn't the closest to a sci-fi term he ever used "hyperspace"?

Actually this question reminds me I once saw a thread on here where someone asked where the 1997 track titles came from and there was some backstory about Lucasfilm policy and needing to include as many technical terms as possible or something? Does anyone remember this thread? I've never been able to find it again it's almost like I imagined it

21 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

Actually this question reminds me I once saw a thread on here where someone asked where the 1997 track titles came from and there was some backstory about Lucasfilm policy and needing to include as many technical terms as possible or something? Does anyone remember this thread? I've never been able to find it again it's almost like I imagined it

Interesting. I hadn't heard that but it sounds probable.

That's like when you go to the IMDB page for Star Wars and all of a sudden all of the characters have full names from all the role playing games and such.

Vile list. Here's what it is so you don't have to give them clicks:

15. Victory Celebration, Return of the Jedi

14. Obi-Wan Kenobi Theme

13. The Book of Boba Fett Theme

12. Andor Theme

11. Niamos! (Morlana Club Mix), Andor

10. Across the Stars, Attack of the Clones

9. The Mandalorian Theme

8. Yoda's Theme, The Empire Strikes Back

7. Rey's Theme, The Force Awakens

6. Princess Leia's Theme, A New Hope

5. Cantina Band, A New Hope

4. Binary Sunset/Force Theme, A New Hope

3. Duel of the Fates, The Phantom Menace

2. The Imperial March, The Empire Strikes Back

1. Jedi Rocks, Return of the Jedi  Main Title, A New Hope

14 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Vile list. Here's what it is so you don't have to give them clicks:

15. Victory Celebration, Return of the Jedi

14. Obi-Wan Kenobi Theme

13. The Book of Boba Fett Theme

12. Andor Theme

11. Niamos! (Morlana Club Mix), Andor

10. Across the Stars, Attack of the Clones

9. The Mandalorian Theme

8. Yoda's Theme, The Empire Strikes Back

7. Rey's Theme, The Force Awakens

6. Princess Leia's Theme, A New Hope

5. Cantina Band, A New Hope

4. Binary Sunset/Force Theme, A New Hope

3. Duel of the Fates, The Phantom Menace

2. The Imperial March, The Empire Strikes Back

1. Jedi Rocks, Return of the Jedi  Main Title, A New Hope

This is a list made by someone who has no clue about Star Wars music.

EVERYONE in this forum would come up with a better list.

In which case pay this list no attention at all. The author also calls them 'songs'.

The only problem this list could cause is if someone cares so badly about the public perception of Williams/SW that some stupid ranking article getting some stuff wrong genuinely angers you.

54 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

The only problem this list could cause is if someone cares so badly about the public perception of Williams/SW that some stupid ranking article getting some stuff wrong genuinely angers you.

"I care!" 

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Williams titled the cue "Lost R2", it was 3M2.  That initial version was never recorded; 3M2 Rev (minor modifications) was recorded instead, and then it was rewritten with the force theme as 3M2 New.  But it was called "Lost R2" both times it was recorded.

The track on the original soundtrack album titled "The Princess Appears" contains two cues inside it - [3M1 Rev] The Princess Appears and [3M2 New] Lost R2.

The name "Binary Sunset" was invented for the 1997 2-CD set; The track "The Hologram / Binary Sunset" contains 3M1 Rev followed by 3M2 New, while the track "Binary Sunset (Alternate)" contains 3M2 Rev.

Do you happen to remember the name of the "origins of the 1997 track titles" thread or post I was referring to above?

3 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

1 minute ago, enderdrag64 said:

Do you happen to remember the name of the "origins of the 1997 track titles" thread or post I was referring to above?

It's right here

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31398-star-wars-1997-se-track-titles/

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

And now we're stuck with the damn things. Even though, ironically, all the CDs that use those titles are out of print!

Hmmm. There is apparently still this:

48 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

We're not calling it Lost R2, 3M2 New, or The Princess Appears. So, Binary Sunset it is.

What did you call it in 1996?

Most of us probably just thought of "The Princess Appears" as one composition back then, not really thinking about how that track covers two different scenes, that have an underscored scene in between them in the film.

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

Most of us probably just thought of "The Princess Appears" as one composition back then, not really thinking about how that track covers two different scenes, that have an underscored scene in between them in the film.

Well. We thought it. We just didn't give it a name. :D

And BTW, my label for that second track IS Lost R2. "Binary Sunset" gives me hives.

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

What did you call it in 1996?

The first Star Wars soundtracks I owned were the 1997 editions, so I didn't call it anything. I only knew it from the film. It's so strongly associated with the sunset scene that having a title related to R2D2 or Leia seems beside the point, even if they're adjacent to the scene.

What did YOU call it in 1996? I bet you didn't know to call it Lost R2 :P 

This was back when the internet was still somewhat new and we still had dial-up modems.  Before the dark times.  Before the empire social media.

The track title was "The Princess Appears", so that's what we called it.  Or we got specific and referred to it as the music from when Luke is looking out at the sunsets.  Then we'd get into a discussion if "sunsset" was correct or "sunsets".  And then one day a sage said the magic words "binary sunset", thus killing the sunsset/sunsets debate.  Truly, a sad day.

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

What did YOU call it in 1996? I bet you didn't know to call it Lost R2

I called it The Princess Appears.

But really, over half of Lost R2 is Luke finding out that Artoo is missing. OVER HALF! ;)

29 minutes ago, bruckhorn said:

Then we'd get into a discussion if "sunsset" was correct or "sunsets".

haha that's awesome, thanks for that tidbit.

8 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

But really, over half of Lost R2 is Luke finding out that Artoo is missing. OVER HALF! ;)

That's the half we all remember!

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Now I'll rank what I love best between Steak, Pizza, vegetables and fruits.

And we'll be here to disagree with you.

22 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Han Solo and the Princess, though?

Well now I realize that this should be called Vader and the Emperor, as that is the bulk of the cue. Thank you for setting me straight. :D

With this first-season Andor highlight, Britell gives the Star Wars galaxy its first danceable club track. (Of course, that's if you don't count the disco remix of the original theme song

Jesus

7 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Well now I realize that this should be called Vader and the Emperor, as that is the bulk of the cue. Thank you for setting me straight. :D

Because it's not like the beginning of both of these cues is a particularly important statement of a major theme or anything. ;)