Restored Isolated Score / Thematic Breakdown: TITANIC

Holko

Yeah, this sort of analysis is right up my street. It's one of my favourite scores so I'm looking forward to reading through this.

Kudos on the effort though!

I actually already watched both Logos / Main Titles videos already

Boy, I have not seen this film in 25 years so truly had no memory of how it began, and also seeing just this made me realize maybe I should actually see the film again before doing a deep dive into the score through this.  Or maybe... it makes more sense to learn what Horner intended through this, then watch the whole film with hacked up music later?  Decisions, decisions...

Anyways, I kinda like that you went with a black screen instead of showing the company logos; Made the pipes music act as an overture of sorts.

The Sissel music for that old timey footage was neat, but that more militaristic music in the alternate for the submersibles descending leading to the film's name appearing while militaristic music still played sure would have been a unique way to start the movie!

So for the used main title, are you saying Horner wrote that for a later scene and Cameron tracked it into the beginning?  And the "Alternate" is the only main title cue he actually wrote?

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

So for the used main title, are you saying Horner wrote that for a later scene and Cameron tracked it into the beginning?  And the "Alternate" is the only main title cue he actually wrote?

Yep, I guess.

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Boy, I have not seen this film in 25 years so truly had no memory of how it began, and also seeing just this made me realize maybe I should actually see the film again before doing a deep dive into the score through this.  Or maybe... it makes more sense to learn what Horner intended through this, then watch the whole film with hacked up music later?  Decisions, decisions...

In that case I do recommend watching it first to refresh your memory. Maybe the deleted scenes too.

Great work as always - interesting to see the 'intended' cue for freeing Jack in action but I think I prefer Cameron's version using 2 1/2 Miles Down.

I do wish Horner had the opportunity to revise some more of his cues instead of tracking though - would've made this a much easier set to listen to, given my obsession with hearing some film edits.

Oh I definitely prefer some of the film assemblies for their film use too.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Iceberg - Ascending notes mostly on brass with an obvious association, making a fitting pair with Doom.

It bears mentioning that this motivic idea was basically Horner's new "danger" motif beginning with Braveheart: its used all over that score (which eschews Horner's old "danger" gesture) in that connotation, and it may well be that much of Titanic was temped with it, Cameron appearantly being a fan.

As always, I get a chuckle out of these theme names.

The iceberg scene is spotted and scored so well. It contains almost all of Horner's action and suspense 'trademarks' (the classic puilli stick hits included) but it's so good.

This is incredible work, thank you for the amazing effort you have put into this!

A while ago, I posted some of my own attempts to place "A Building Panic" (track 1 from LLL CD2). I assumed that there might have been a break in the LLL track at 4:17, where "Rose Frees Jack" might have been inserted. This is exactly where you placed it. BTW I liked the first option better, with the more airy synth coming in as the lights dim - A very spooky effect!

Have you considered trying to sync A Building Panic [1:08-4:17] with the film around timecode [1:57:57], where we see Jack imprisoned and calling out for help? Much of this would play the same is in the final film, with Rose talking to Mr. Andrews and taking the elevator down to the lower decks, but in the film once Rose exits the elevator, around timecode [2:00:12], the music changes to an edit of "2 1/2 Miles Down" and other ambient electronics. I think that 3:22-4:17 of "A Building Panic" actually works well for the scene as it plays out, with the drum and timpani crashes adding to the drama of Rose and Jack calling out and eventually being reunited.

1 hour ago, Trope said:

Have you considered trying to sync A Building Panic [1:08-4:17] with the film around timecode [1:57:57],

I didn't really think about breaking it up further than separating the Intro, since it's all one cue continuous cue.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

I didn't really think about breaking it up further than separating the Intro, since it's all one continuous cue.

Okay, so that's 100% confirmed? Other than the intro, "A Building Panic" on LLL is one cue, intended to have run from start to finish in the film (potentially an earlier edit)? I thought that there MIGHT have been a break at about 4:18, where "Rose Frees Jack" would be placed, but was never sure.