Top-10 Movie Disappointments

On 31/5/2023 at 7:34 AM, GerateWohl said:

And who remembers 1492

Just watched it a couple of days ago. Much better than I remembered. A very underrated film. 

1 hour ago, JTW said:

Just watched it a couple of days ago. Much better than I remembered. A very underrated film. 

I think the movie has exactly two good scenes: when the fog reveals the sight of land and when the gets bitten by a snake during a downpour in the jungle.

Everything else...its absolutely awful. From having turkeys at the Spanish monastery at the start of the movie, to Columbus arguing the Earth is round (which was never a point of contention for his proposed expedition), to the horrendous accent (they did have a French actor, speaking in English, playing the role of a Genovese working for Spain),

I love the score and specially love the album. But the script is atrocious

11 minutes ago, Brónach said:

what :eh:

see for yourself

And here are the Turkeys in Spain before Columbus even returned from his first journey:

3 hours ago, Romão said:

see for yourself

Tele München Fernseh GmbH + Co. Produktionsgesellschaft VOD won't let me watch those videos. A quick Google search confirms my suspicion that they've released a German Blu-ray without English subtitles. The state of German Blu-ray productions is absolutely atrocious.

17 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

That's it? Fog, and a snake.

It's not exactly Christmas, is it?

Like I said before, it is a really bad movie.

It's an entertaining mess, at least. And the score is fantastic

I admittedly haven't seen either of them, but I was under the impression that 'Christopher Columbus : The Discovery' was regarded as the worse movie of the two.

Carry On Columbus (the equally poorly received revival of the Carry On franchise) apparently took more money at the UK box office than the other 2 movies. Go figure.  

The Box is among the worst movies I have ever seen--talk about a bait and switch. 

Strangers on a Train is not too far behind in the bait and switch dept.  It is not about two people planning to switch murders.

4 hours ago, Tom said:

The Box is among the worst movies I have ever seen ...

Southland Tales.

Turns out that Richard 'Donnie Darko' Kelly is merely a one-hit wonder.

I really liked the theatrical version of Donnie Darko (at the time, though I haven’t revisited it in 20 odd years), and based on the director’s cut and Kelly’s subsequent work, it was one of those movies that was a success built squarely on the back of whatever studio meddling and financial/runtime limitations it was born from.  I appreciate Kelly for taking big swings, but his stuff doesn’t really hang together in any meaningful way.

50 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I'm not even a fan of Donnie Darko. The best thing about it is the Mad World cover, which unfortunately has been memed to death.

Yeah, it's not a blockbuster spectacle, but that doesn't mean it's bad. 

47 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I really liked the theatrical version of Donnie Darko (at the time, though I haven’t revisited it in 20 odd years), and based on the director’s cut and Kelly’s subsequent work, it was one of those movies that was a success built squarely on the back of whatever studio meddling and financial/runtime limitations it was born from.  I appreciate Kelly for taking big swings, but his stuff doesn’t really hang together in any meaningful way.

I've only heard bad things about the DC so I refuse to watch it. The TC was even better the second or third time I watched it. 

I don't think any kind of studio meddling can save Southland Tales.

36 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I've only heard bad things about the DC so I refuse to watch it. The TC was even better the second or third time I watched it. 

I don't think any kind of studio meddling can save Southland Tales.

Removing this might be a start.

42 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I didn't say it's bad because it isn't a blockbuster. I just didn't vibe with the movie at all. Maybe I'll try it again someday.

On 05/06/2023 at 4:53 PM, JTW said:

Didn't it win an Oscar for best Columbus film that year?

5 hours ago, mstrox said:

ased on the director’s cut and Kelly’s subsequent work, it was one of those movies that was a success built squarely on the back of whatever studio meddling and financial/runtime limitations it was born from.  

I always have a hard time buying those kinds of narratives.

Although from my own vague memories of the movie I didn't care for it, so what do I know?