Jack Marshall Universal Television Music - THE MUNSTERS / THE DEPUTY / WAGON TRAIN / THE VIRGINIAN - NEW! 2023 La-La Land 2-CD set

Jay

MunstersCoverHQ__07760.jpg

The Munsters: Television Music of Jack Marshall (with The Deputy, Wagon Train & The Virginian)
Universal Pictures Film Music Classics Collection (2-CD Set)
Music by Jack Marshall
Limited Edition of 2000 Units
Coming From La-La Land Records June 6, 2023

https://twitter.com/LaLaLandRecords/status/1663927517667885057

Here's his exact words:

On 14/05/2023 at 8:56 PM, BrotherSound said:

More immediately there is a release that will be announced very soon that has been in the cooker for a long time, and I hope it will be well received for both what it is as well as for where it might potentially lead.

&

On 15/05/2023 at 12:52 PM, Jay said:

I hope I’m still half cool when it’s revealed that we are knocking on a different door in the hallway than the usual ones. Nothing to do with John Williams, although there is a quote from him in the booklet.

To be fair, I guess that describes my reaction to this release itself… at least until I can hear sound clips. (The only one of these four series I’ve seen even a single episode of is Wagon Train, thanks to it having a Jerry Goldsmith score.) But I imagine this title selling well would help other titles I REALLY want to happen, be much more likely to happen. So I may just take the plunge on this, to indicate interest in more vintage Universal TV soundtrack releases.

Yavar

13 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Honestly, this particular “big picture” still underwhelms me, but I was never that big on TV scores.

Maybe you just need to get to know some better. Composers like Goldsmith and Williams and Herrmann, among others, were producing feature film quality work for TV. And this is the best hope for more outright Williams *premieres* than we've had in a while (really, since FSM closed up shop).

Listen to this rip of a Jerry Goldsmith score for General Electric Theater, if you doubt:

Utterly sublime, IMO.

Yavar

THE MUNSTERS: TELEVISION MUSIC OF JACK MARSHALL with THE DEPUTY, WAGON TRAIN & THE VIRGINIAN: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)
LLLCD 1617
Music by Jack Marshall
Universal Pictures Film Music Classics Collection

Limited Edition of 2000 Units

RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

STARTS SHIPPING JUNE 6

MunstersWeb.jpg

Order yours at www.lalalandrecords.com starting June 6 at 12 noon (pst)

La-La Land Records and Universal Studios proudly present the sixteenth title within the acclaimed Universal Pictures Film Music Classics Collection – THE MUNSTERS: TELEVISION MUSIC OF JACK MARSHALL with THE DEPUTY, WAGON TRAIN & THE VIRGINIAN - LIMITED EDITION, music by Jack Marshall (THUNDER ROAD, MUNSTER GO HOME). After scoring the 1958 feature film THUNDER ROAD, legendary guitarist Jack Marshall would begin composing television series music for Revue (aka Universal Television). This limited edition 2-CD release is an exciting collection of Marhsall’s original television music for the beloved ‘60s comedy classic series THE MUNSTERS (1964-66), as well as brilliant material from the TV westerns THE DEPUTY (1959-61), WAGON TRAIN (1958-65) and THE VIRGINIAN (1962-71). This presentation marks the world premiere debut of this notable music in any format!

This deluxe collection demonstrates the composer’s remarkable versatility, with Disc One dedicated to his delightful and iconic mock-macabre from both seasons of THE MUNSTERS, while Disc Two showcases highlights of his work from THE DEPUTY, WAGON TRAIN and THE VIRGINIAN. From Mockingbird Lane to the western frontier, Marshall’s innovative music effectively set the stage for laughs or drama – and everything in-between.

Produced, edited and mastered by Mike Matessino, from studio vault elements, this special limited edition of 2000 units features exclusive liner notes written by author Jon Burlingame and Matessino and classic art direction by Jim Titus. A must-have for film/TV music and pop-culture enthusiasts from any generation!

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1

THE MUNSTERS

Season 1 (1964-65)
1 The Munsters Main Title (Season 1) :47
2 Episode Credits (Season 1) :21
3 Munster Masquerade 2:50
4 My Fair Munster 2:01
5 Pike’s Pique 2:32
6 Low-Cal Munster 5:03
7 Low-Cal TV Music 1:13
8 Knock Wood, Here Comes Charlie 2:51
9 The Midnight Ride Of Herman Munster 5:47
10 Family Portrait 5:32
11 Grandpa Leaves Home 1:24
12 Grandpa’s Call Of The Wild 2:31
13 Wild Radio Music :46
14 All-Star Munster 1:10
15 Eddie’s Nickname 4:01
16 Country Club Munsters 3:23
17 The Munsters End Title (Season 1) :33

Season 2 (1965-66)
18 The Munsters Main Title (Season 2) :46
19 Episode Credits (Season 2) :17
20 Herman’s Child Psychology 1:50
21 Herman, The Master Spy 1:10
22 Scuba Dive Radio 1:25
23 Bronco-Bustin’ Munster 4:07
24 Herman Munster, Shutterbug 2:49
25 Happy 100th Anniversary :39
26 Operation Herman 3:30
27 Lily’s Star Boarder 2:34
28 John Doe Munster 2:30
29 A Man For Marilyn 3:53
30 Herman’s Driving Test 2:25
31 Will Success Spoil Herman Munster? 1:30
32 Herman Picks A Winner 3:32
33 Herman The Tire Kicker 2:41
34 The Munsters End Title (Season 2) :34
DISC 1 TOTAL TIME: 79:01

DISC 2

THE DEPUTY

Season 1 (1959-60)
1 The Deputy Theme :50
2 The Johnny Shanks Story 4:13
3 The Return Of Simon Fry 3:25
4 The Big Four 2:13
5 Big Four Saloon 2:19
6 The Next Bullet 3:18
7 Hang The Law 3:40

Season 2 (1960-61)
8 The Jason Harris Story 2:47
9 Bitter Root 2:59
10 Meet Sergeant Tasker 4:08
11 The World Against Me 3:10
12 The Means And The End 1:09
13 The Example 2:18
Total Time: 36:27

WAGON TRAIN

“Charlie WoosTer - Outlaw” (1963)
14 Charlie’s Plan 3:13
15 Execution March / Protruding Tongue 2:34
16 Sleepwalking / Scotty / Bella 3:50
Total Time: 9:38

THE VIRGINIAN

“Image of an Outlaw” (1968)
17 Rafe And Ben 1:26
18 Image Of An Outlaw / Exercising Horse* 2:21
19 Liz And Rafe 2:08
20 Abandoned Cabin / Liz And The Virginian 4:48
21 Dejected Men / Abe And Rafe 3:21
22 Stagecoach 4:35
23 Rafe Galloping 4:57
24 Rafe Strangles Angie / Liz Riding 3:11
25 Western Country And End Title* 6:17
Total Time: 33:02

DISC 2 TOTAL TIME: 79:15

* Contains “The Virginian” Theme Written by Percy Faith

This is a CD format release.

http://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-2owybf--13r865-ag4f6q8

OK, so it's really a box set for the music composed by Jack Marshall. There is no music by John Williams included in this.

It seems like they heard us. I guess I'm not the only one who prefers small collections like this that focus only on one composer.

Then I guess Johnny will have his own TV collection... :)

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

OK, so it's really a box set for the music composed by Jack Marshall. There is no music by John Williams included in this.

Yes. But there might be a quote from him in the liner notes. 

I have to say that living in Quebec, which is a French-speaking province, I have never seen the series "The Munsters." I know what it is (mostly because of the parody of Grandpa Munster in Gremlins 2), I know the theme, but that's it. I believe this series simply never received a Quebec French dub. I see that in France, it was only broadcasted starting from 1986. Very strange!

I don't really care about this release but gave the samples a go just to be sure. Holy shit! 60s TV music was recorded and archived in this quality??? What the fuck happened to film score recordings in the 70s???

3 hours ago, Holko said:

I don't really care about this release but gave the samples a go just to be sure. Holy shit! 60s TV music was recorded and archived in this quality??? What the fuck happened to film score recordings in the 70s???

Drugs.