Most emotional and powerful JW music + images moment?

Pelzter

For me, it has to be when Luke burns Darth Vader at the end of ROTJ, and the Binary Sunset theme swells to this AMAZING and heartbreaking climax... It really can bring tears to my eyes, even though I am not a sentimental fellow. It also has something to do with the fact that I grew up with those films (on video I mean), and having such a powerful experience like Star Wars suddenly be over at the end of the last film... It can be a powerful thing, especially when the Maestro is involved!

(I also partly feel this way about the wonderful and for the above reasons kind of bittersweet ending of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade)

The Finale from Schindler's List is also very powerful, IMO.

--Pelzter.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moment? The Fury - the whole thing. :)

For me, it has to be when Luke burns Darth Vader at the end of ROTJ, and the Binary Sunset theme swells to this AMAZING and heartbreaking climax...

I still say they shouldn't have replaced the original cue....much better IMHO, with the fire sparkling music in the second half.

E.T. and Elliot soaring across the sky to John's thrilling Flying Theme.

Ray Barnsbury

^That and when Agatha talks about Sean in minority report.

Peltzer has a good one, but I think my favorite one, the most emotional moment done by Williams, also happens to be in a Star Wars movie, in Empire Strikes Back when Luke is hanging onto that outcropping underneath Cloud City and uses the Force to call Leia. My God...every single time I hear that, I get chills. The music on it's own is amazing, but with what's happening in the movie? It's just so desperate and dramatic and absolutely beautiful.

Another wonderful moment is when the camera cranes out during Jonathan Kent's funeral in Superman: The Movie. Wow. Don't watch that scene if someone close to you has recently died...

A minor one is in CMIYC, at the beginning of "Learning the Ropes", with the crane shot moving towards the window as he's writing his father. The low-pitched flute melody gives you goosebumps. Same goes for when the plane's taking off in "Deadheading".

In CE3K when Roy and Gillian are climbing the hill at the side of the road, and the music builds, then finally releases as the camera reveals Devils Tower. That's pretty wicked awesome.

In Superman, when Superman flies through the ceiling of Lex Luthor's lair in "Chasing Rockets". And when the spotlight is on him, when he's flying away from the prison, at the end of the movie and the music busts in.

I think the beginning of the opening credits are still pretty neat, even though it's not unique or special.

In CE3K when Roy and Gillian are climbing the hill at the side of the road, and the music builds, then finally releases as the camera reveals Devils Tower.  That's pretty wicked awesome.

Ditto.

Neil

When Jim touches the airplane and salute the pilot in Empire of the Sun - sentimental, possibly, but it still works for me.

When Kirk is approaching the newly refitted Enterpise.... oh, Williams, I love when Elliot and E.T. are looking for things to make his communicatorm I love the music there, and the goodbye scene when he touches his heart and says "ouch".

I have a few favorites ....

*The climax (about 3:00-4:00) of "Across the Stars"

*The wedding (AOTC)

*The part already mentioned in TESB when Luke calls Leia with the Force, with the Force theme played so ... no word for it

*"Where Dreams are Born" from AI

*"I Remember" from HOOK, with the flying music that follows

*"The Patriot" (whole thing, except the brass choir and ending)

So yeah, great stuff, all of it is.

God bless,

Alex

I could probably go on endlessly with this topic. I've always regarded watching the movie, even if its bad, as a wonderful way to "listen" to the music. Even though the sound effects, dialog, etc. can be frustrating, once I get a feel for what JW is trying to accomplish with a scene, the music often feels more complete in a certain sense, when heard with the movie. There are lots of dialog sequences, for example, where he accomplishes what he says he tries to do, which is treat the words as part of the score.

The best moments that jump to mind right away are the final 20 minutes of ET, the opening sequence of Born on the Fourth of July when Kovik hits a homerun and, of course, The Dark Side Beckons - a good example of a scene where the clashing light sabers somehow add to the music (not that I'd want them to include that on the soundtrack).

- Adam

I still say they shouldn't have replaced the original cue....much better IMHO, with the fire sparkling music in the second half.

oh no,I love the film version!That's one of the first Jedi cues I looked for when I got the box set in 94.

K.M.

I would have preferred the original. It corresponds more closely, I think, with the way the scene was shot. Being the almost final scene, the way Luke is gazing at the fire and the way the camera pans up to display fireworks - its more suggestive of the original interpretation since you still get the sad, plaintive beginning but it transforms into something more powerful and triumphant - as though Luke has "arrived" after his journey. His rewrite basically works, though, by drawing out a different feeling from the scene.

- Adam

oh no,I love the film version!

Oh, of course it's nice. But I prefer the other version for two reasons: 1) I think it fits the scene better, it has that fire-sound to it, and it grows more, kinda like Binary Sunset; and 2) we basically have the alternate version in the Star Wars concert suite anyway.

Marian - who got up again because he couldn't sleep.

That and when Agatha talks about Sean in minority report.

Yes, that's very very moving, especially seen with the movie, as Lara begins to cry.

A minor one is in CMIYC, at the beginning of "Learning the Ropes", with the crane shot moving towards the window as he's writing his father. The low-pitched flute melody gives you goosebumps. Same goes for when the plane's taking off in "Deadheading".  

I agree, this is another great less famous moment. I feel the same way about those exact parts of the score . . . there's just something magical and moving about the music there.

Ray Barnsbury

oh, Williams, I love when Elliot and E.T. are looking for things to make his communicatorm I love the music there

That's wonderful too, such sentimental and quiet expressions of the Flying Theme and the theme that opens the film.

Ray Barnsbury

For my part, the end of AotC, when they pan down to reveal the legions of Clonetroopers as the Imperial March really blares for the first time in the prequels... hoo-boy, I get chills every time.

Pretty much the entire film Empire of the Sun is a powerful and emotion combination of music and image. Especially, though, the scene where Jim sees the plane flying by and he starts jumping up and down excitedly - that is awesome. Also, when Jim is trying to resuscitate his Japanese friend and is saying "I can bring everyone back" - that scene is an emotional punch in the face. In a good way, of course.

The biggest one though, for me (being a die-hard A.I. fan) is the Reunion scene at the end. When David finally sees his mother again and John's gorgeous piano lullabye plays against David playing and sharing time with his mother for the last time - one of the only things that can make me cry. And when it all swells to a climax as David closes his eyes and "goes to the place where dreams are born," there just isn't word to describe how I feel.

So there's my two cents worth.

when E.T. dies alongside Elliot,now that's pretty stirring.One of Williams most emotionnaly powerful cues,that's the main reason I'm pissed it's not on the album.

K.M.

...E.T. ... and the theme that opens the film.

Ray Barnsbury

I love the small passage when E.T. passes throught those two huge trees in awe, at least that is the sentiment we get through the music, it´s so majestic.

:) "Hermoinesex" by John Adams(the composer)

SO many. A few, in no particular order:

E.T.:

-E.T. Dies

-The last few minutes of E.T.

A.I.:

-Abandoned In The Woods

-The Search For The Blue Fairy

-The Reunion

Schindler's List:

-Immolation

-Auschwitz-Birckenau

-I Could Have Done More

-Finale (When they put the rocks on the memorial)

Hook:

-You Are Peter

-Finale when he flies away

Not as "emotionally staggaring", but I still love:

Superman:

-Leaving Home

TESB:

-Luke's 1st Crash/Under The AT-AT

-Yoda & The Force

-Carbon Freeze

ROTJ:

-The Dark Side Beckons/The Emperor's Death

CE3K:

-When the UFOs come over the mountain

The Fury:

-Pretty much every stitch of music on both the album and the film score is pure magic. And although I do like the film, the scenes don't even come close to matching the power of the music (I had the album a year or two before I ever saw the film).

AOTC:

-Tusken Slaughter & Bringing Mother Home (The highlight of the score, yes... but ESPECIALLY the movie).

Empire Of The Sun:

-Cadillac Of The Skies

-Imaginary Air Battle

I am sure that there is more, but those are what hit me off the top of my head. This is for scenes I have seen. There is some emotional music to movies I've never seen (Jane Eyre & Images).

As for the SW & ROTJ scenes some of you were talking about: I prefer the film versions of Binary Sunset & Jedi Funeral Pyre. Like the alternates as well, but the film versions were superior in that case.

oh no,I love the film version!That's one of the first Jedi cues I looked for when I got the box set in 94.

K.M.

Heh... when I got that set (wasn't it 1993?) the 1st things I looked for were "Carbon Freeze/Expanded Departure Of Boba Fett" sequence and all that unreleased ROTJ music... especially "Final Duel".

Star Wars didn't have too much unreleased, Empire had a bit more (compared to the double-album that has never seen a CD pressing... the Polydor CD is a half-truth). Buth the champion of that set was all the ROTJ music. That is... compared to the SOT/Polydor CD, the WORST OST album in Star Wars history because it is pathetically small.

Sometimes I still prefer the sound quality on that set even if some of the wrong takes were used. Sounds great. :)

Still want the OST albums remastered. I mean... the same exact recordings as the LPs but cleaned up a little.

Oh, man. There are just too many to name. Basically every time the Force theme swells, and the finales of E.T. and CE3K are the first things that come to mind.

- Marc

So many. I dont have my JW music with me to check.

But from memory.

* Yes, the finale to E.T must be the undisputed king.

* The mountain revelation from CEO3K for sure.

* Also that little bit where they're running across the field after escaping the helicopter.

* Cadillac of the Skies. Amazing "I cant remember what my parents look like" etc

* The beautiful bit in the middle of "Lightshow" where the tiny ships break away.

Getting in a bit late here, so all of mine are probably taken:

ESB:

1. Luke calling out for Leia.

2. The asteroid chase - probably one of the greatest scored action scenes in the history of film.

ROTJ:

1. Luke beating Vader/ Death of the Emperor

2. Vaders Death - Love the Vader theme slowly dying with him. Surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

3. Funeral - both versions

Superman:

1. Pa Kent's funeral

2. Clark leaving home, in the field with his mother.

That's all for now, gotta go back to work.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned Jurassic Park. How about the first time Grant, Ellie and Malcom see the brachiosaurs? I remember seeing that in the theater for the first time and being covered in goosebumps. I still do get goosebumps everytime I watch that scene or listen to that part of the score.

:) Die Tote Stadt (E.W. Korngold)

For me it's the moment which made me the JW fan I am ever since. It was ten years ago, while watching Jurassic Park and hearing the Island fanfare from Journey to the Island, when those huge waves hit the rocks of the island's cost... thrilling...

I don't believe anyone has mentioned Jurassic Park.  How about the first time Grant, Ellie and Malcom see the brachiosaurs?  I remember seeing that in the theater for the first time and being covered in goosebumps.

Let me top this: A few seconds later, when we see the lake...I remember having tears in my eyes when I watched the movie the first time, but only later would I find out it was because of the music.

Marian - who didn't consciously recognize film music until a whole year later.

Marian - who didn't consciously recognize film music until a whole year later.

I was just "getting into" film music at the time of Jurassic Park as well. JP really cemented my love of film/orchestral music and then to be followed up immediately by Schindlers List. I didn't stand a chance! :)

JP was the first soundtrack I bought at the time of the films release and I've bought all of JWs scores since then as soon as they are released.

Scary...

Yeah! :)

JP was the first soundtrack I bought at the time of the films release and I've bought all of JWs scores since then as soon as they are released.

Funny...JP was even my very first cd to have!!

And how about when Indy appears on the submarine in Raiders? That is one FANTASTIC moment, a FANTASTIC statement of the March (the best ever IMO).

--Pelzter.

The finale of Jane Eyre gets me pretty misty... as does the finale to Story of a Woman... and the finale of AI. What is it with me and these finales? Oh, and the scene where the robots die at the end of Heartbeeps always brings a tear to my eye.

Here's one... TESB: When Han Solo is placed on the carbon-freezing elevator with Leia and Chewie watching, the entire process being overseen by Vader, Fett, and Lando Calrissian. That was a truly moving scene in which the lighting and the music dramatically affected how the viewer felt.

I also love Fawkes soaring as his theme plays, both when he makes his first appearance in the Chamber and when he carries Harry and friends out.

Ray Barnsbury

I'm finding that a lot of the ones being mentioned are so old they've lost their luster and aren't emotional anymore--just routine.

I love "Fawkes", but it didn´t make that much of an impact on the movie, though it was very sweet or rather noble feel in the scene where Harry looks at this old bird for the first time.

:music: For Seiji

Boston Symphony

Seiji Ozawa

This has been said by many others but the theme (The Chamber of Secrets) wasn´t played enough in the film.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned Jurassic Park. How about the first time Grant, Ellie and Malcom see the brachiosaurs? I remember seeing that in the theater for the first time and being covered in goosebumps. I still do get goosebumps everytime I watch that scene or listen to that part of the score.

That´s a very powerful example of aweness (if that word even exists)

:music: Music from Insurrection

I don't believe anyone has mentioned Jurassic Park.  How about the first time Grant, Ellie and Malcom see the brachiosaurs?  I remember seeing that in the theater for the first time and being covered in goosebumps.  I still do get goosebumps everytime I watch that scene or listen to that part of the score.

:music: Die Tote Stadt (E.W. Korngold)

That *could* have been a great moment,if the music had been mixed right.The theme fades in and out as the actors say "ooh...ahh,I can't believe it"(which is totally unessary and ruins the music for me)

K.M.

-Carbon Freeze

yes,I think that's the most powerful/tragic rendition of a love theme..in any movie(and in this case it's mixed very loud too :music: )

K.M.