Jump to content

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - Isolated Score Track


DangerMotif

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

What?

It says (MOVIE ONLY) under 4K ULTRA HD DISC, while the bonus features including the "isolated score-only version of the movie" are mentioned only under BLU-RAY DISC - extracted from the UK version:

image.png

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray) - CeDe.com

 

US version leaves more room for interpretation:

18366648_2_92.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) (Ultimate Collector's Edition, 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray) - CeDe.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

It says (MOVIE ONLY) under 4K ULTRA HD DISC, while the bonus features including the "isolated score-only version of the movie" are mentioned only under BLU-RAY DISC - extracted from the UK version:

image.png

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray) - CeDe.com

 

I understand now.  You're saying that either the Digital Bits information (saying the 4K discs would have the feature) are wrong, or this slipcover (saying the 4K disc does not have the feature) is wrong.

 

Interesting.

 

EDIT/UPDATE:  It appears that could be because you're looking at the UK 4K disc.  The US 4K release DOES have it:

 

328339_back.jpg

 

Source: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Indiana-Jones-and-the-Dial-of-Destiny-4K-Blu-ray/328339/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

 

I understand now.  You're saying that either the Digital Bits information (saying the 4K discs would have the feature) are wrong, or this slipcover (saying the 4K disc does not have the feature) is wrong.

 

Interesting.

Or only the US market will be getting the isolated score in Dolby Atmos Audio (see above addition)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That German version is actually the UK release and indeed it suggests the feature only appears on the normal Blu-ray. And it would make it in line with every other 4K disc from Disney out there:

 

Screenshot_20231025_175018_Amazon Shopping.jpg

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

So Disney decided to put the feature on the US 4K Discs but not the UK 4K Discs?

 

Why?

Something tells me it will not appear on the 4K disc anywhere at all. I own probably something around 40+ UHD releases from Disney and all of them are "movie only" discs.

 

I bet the artwork on the US release is incorrect but I can be wrong.

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Something tells me it will not appear on the 4K disc anywhere at all. I own probably something around 40+ UHD releases from Disney and all of them are "movie only" discs.

 

Karol

 

What?  I posted the back cover of hte US release a few posts up. It says "Includes isolated score-only version of the movie! —With Dolby Atmos Audio on Ultra HD Blu-ray—" on it.

 

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, crocodile said:

That German version is actually the UK release and indeed it suggests the feature only appears on the normal Blu-ray. And it would make it in line with every other 4K disc from Disney out there:

The backside of the German version is blanked out where I have been looking. Likely we get the score-only on the Blu-Ray. But odd that the US cover implies an Atmos Audio only feature on the 4K disc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jay said:

 

What?  I posted the back cover of hte US release a few posts up. It says "Includes isolated score-only version of the movie! -With Dolby Atmos Audio on Ultra HD Blu-ray -" on it.

That's what I mean. I bet this description is incorrect. 

 

Or one of them is.

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why would you think that?


We've known the US 4K Disc would have it since the Digital Bits article, which was just quoting Disny's own press release.


The only thing we learned today is that the UK version does not have it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking at the UK back cover again, I betcha someone just fucked up and forgot to include the " —With Dolby Atmos Audio on Ultra HD Blu-ray—" part that the US version has.


If anyone here wants to make a friendly bet, I'd wager $10 that the UK 4K discs WILL have the feature.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Looking at the UK back cover again, I betcha someone just fucked up and forgot to include the " —With Dolby Atmos Audio on Ultra HD Blu-ray—" part that the US version has.


If anyone here wants to make a friendly bet, I'd wager $10 that the UK 4K discs WILL have the feature.

Yes, that is another possibility. Either way, I think the two releases will be exactly the same. Think we can at least agree on that.

 

But it would be a first for a Disney release to have any extras whatsoever on 4K disc.

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think there's no way it made it to both the press release sent out, and the graphic design of the back of the US cover, if it wasn't something they were intending to include. Of course it's on the US discs. 

 

I don't have a clue how things work with other territories. Maybe the UK division saw the work involved with adding it to the disc and said "no thank you". Or maybe the graphic guy just forgot that one sentence. 

 

We'll find out soon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

What's Dolby Atmos, specifically how is it relevant for a score?

 

Dolby Atmos is a surround-sound technology developed by Dolby Laboratories. It expands on existing surround sound systems by adding height channels, allowing sounds to be interpreted as three-dimensional objects with neither horizontal nor vertical limitations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It has more channels. 7.1.4 instead of 7.1 available with Dolby Digital or DTS. 

 

But in terms of the score, it's not really useful unless you have a full Atmos setup and enjoy the music that way.

 

Lossless PCM stereo would have been fine for 99% of us. 

 

There is the slight possibility that some cues could be easier to isolate from another using various channels, but we don't know that yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The european version has italian, german, spanish, catalan plus english. 
 

the us only has english, french and spanish. Thats two extra audio tracks.

 

AHHHHHHHHHHH yes that explains it, thank you!  They ran out of room to include it because of all the additional dubs the US version doesn't have.


That explains everything!

 

So any European wanting the feature on their 4K disc should import the US version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I seem to remember that isolated scores were considered, but left off the LotR EE DVDs because of space. I think there were something like four English tracks (variations on DTS and surround) and four commentary tracks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like the nightmare of buying the "right" version has begun.

 

Or the iso score track was a blunder by the marketing department and won't be included on any disks in the final release

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Sounds like the nightmare of buying the "right" version has begun.

 

Or the iso score track was a blunder by the marketing department and won't be included on any disks in the final release

The canadian version should be the us version, as the languages surely are US english / Canadian French / Latin Spanish…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Do they still region-lock physical releases of movies?  I thought that got far less common after Blu-ray started getting popular.

 

It wasn't common at all when Blu-ray first became available, but it became increasingly common once the format became popular. It's very label/studio dependent though. All US Criterion releases are region A locked, for example (as far as I know).

 

And unlike with DVDs (where the encryption was deemed too primitive to be worthy of legal protection), region-free Blu-ray players are still not easily available - there used to be a few in the early days, but they got forced to remove the region choice with later firmware upgrades. My own region free Momitsu died years ago. I ended up picking up a secondary Sony player in NYC to be able to still play my A discs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Region locking Blu-ray and 4K discs now is against some kind of Blu-Ray Disc Association rules. There were one or two recent releases this year that were region locked, but those studios said it was due to some sort of manufacturing error.

 

Also the ones that were locked were very obscure films from studios I've never heard of. Definitely not big studios like Disney.

 

In other words, no. We can confidently say that this release will not be region locked.

 

(NOTE: This applies to the UHD discs specifically)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Region locking Blu-ray and 4K discs now is against some kind of Blu-Ray Disc Association rules. There were one or two recent releases this year that were region locked, but those studios said it was due to some sort of manufacturing error.

 

Also the ones that were locked were very obscure films from studios I've never heard of. Definitely not big studios like Disney.

 

In other words, no. We can confidently say that this release will not be region locked.

 

First I've heard of that. And I've got several non-obscure films that are region locked.

 

I just went to blu-ray.com and looked up one of the recent Criterion releases - Del Toro's Pinocchio (which I haven't seen). According to the website, this 2022 release is region A locked:
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Guillermo-del-Toros-Pinocchio-Blu-ray/346044/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

First I've heard of that. And I've got several non-obscure films that are region locked.

 

I just went to blu-ray.com and looked up one of the recent Criterion releases - Del Toro's Pinocchio (which I haven't seen). According to the website, this 2022 release is region A locked:
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Guillermo-del-Toros-Pinocchio-Blu-ray/346044/

 

I'm thinking the ruling might actually be just for UHD discs then, and not Blu-ray and UHD. I can't seem to find anything about the rules applying to standard Blu-ray.

 

The releases I mentioned were indeed UHD-only.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That seems likely. And if they were cheaper, that would be a good reason for me to finally switch to UHD. A large percentage of German Blu-ray releases are appaling.

 

(Yes, I know I could get UK releases instead, and I somehow do, although that's almost as expensive these days as getting US ones. But it seems that with the region-freeness of UHD discs, they've also stopped making different versions for different regions. In the end, a German UHD costs probably about the same for me as a US-imported standard Blu).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

 

I just went to blu-ray.com and looked up one of the recent Criterion releases - Del Toro's Pinocchio (which I haven't seen). According to the website, this 2022 release is region A locked:
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Guillermo-del-Toros-Pinocchio-Blu-ray/346044/

Amazon says there's a "UK only" release coming out. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0CJFQ7551/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

 

But fuck Criterion and fuck anyone who thought up region locking and kept it going.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/10/2023 at 4:49 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Region locking Blu-ray and 4K discs now is against some kind of Blu-Ray Disc Association rules. There were one or two recent releases this year that were region locked, but those studios said it was due to some sort of manufacturing error.

 

At last a sensible decision, though you wonder if the studios would've followed suit if not for the rules mandating it.

 

Especially with Disney discontinuing physical media in several major markets, leaving consumers with no choice but to import from other regions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gosh, the wording on the US box is super confusing. It's listed under Blu-ray special features, and there is limited likelihood that the Making of is on the UHD. Still, if we are getting Atmos 7.1.4 sound, I don't think Blu-ray supports that data rate so it must be the UHD disc. Hopefully, the film is on a 100GB disc so we get max data rates from the video portion (as Mission Impossible UHD has and with its 5.1 isolated score track on both discs).

 

On 27/10/2023 at 11:50 PM, Holko said:

But f*** Criterion ....

 

I would not pick on Criterion too much in this arena. I believe they often can only get US distribution rights for some of the films as the local owners already have a physical media distribution division (such as Canal+ in France). I'm fairly sure the UHD discs in Criterion sets are region-free as per the note above that this is a requirement for UHD. The accompanying Blu-rays (which are often region locked) also contain content that may not be easy to license for a worldwide release (such as excerpts with filmmakers on things like the Dick Cavett show). Given Criterion's commitment to world films but with its small size, niche market and shaky financial standing, I think they are doing the best they can.

 

(Full disclosure, they offered me a job out of grad school in 1991 so I do have a soft spot. I turned it down to go to Lucasfilm instead.)

 

Anyway, for those computer savvy or relatively tech savvy, there are UHD blu-ray drives for the computer and software that is fairly stable for dealing with region encoded discs.  That's how I tackle any Region B and C Blu-rays I acquired, and then I stream from a network drive to my TV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's no confusion about this. The link in the main post, which got its info from Disney's press release, clearly states that the DVD discs don't have it at all, the Blu Ray discs have it in 7.1 Dolby Digital, and the 4K UHD discs (in the US) have it in 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos. 

 

That's it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.