What rare soundtrack would you spend the most money on?

What is worth the most to you?  

21 members have voted

1. 1.

• Angela's Ashes- No Quotes
    • A. I. Artificial Intelligence 2 Disc Full Score Bootleg
    • Sleepers Soundtrack now out of print
    • Nixon- can be hard to find now
    • Schindler's List Gold CD
    • Hook- 2 Disc Bootleg Full Score
    • JFK- can not find in stores now
    • Always- not impossible to find but still hard to find.
    • The Accidental Tourist
    • The Witches of Eastwick Original Soundtrack
    • The Witches of Eastwick Lmt 666 Expanded from DVD Bootleg
    • Spacecamp
    • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • The River
    • Monsignor
    • Yes, Giorgio
    • Raiders of the Lost Arc
    • Heartbeeps
    • Dracula
    • The Fury Original Soundtrack
    • Jaws 2
    • The Eiger Sanction
    • The Towering Inferno
    • Earthquake
    • Paper Chase/The Poseidon Adventure/Conrack- Film Score Monthly Release
    • The Reivers (not sure how rare?)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have:

Nixon, Schindler's List, JFK, Witches of Eastwick, Temple of Doom (well, the incomplete Japan CD), Raiders of the Lost Ark, Heartbeeps and The Reivers.

I guess of the remaining ones, it would have to be The Fury.

Jeff -- who actually screamed when he found a copy of JFK

I'd get Accidental Tourist because I have all of the other ones.But my cdr plays just fine,so I wouldn't spend anything over regular price for it.

K.M.

The two I don't have pressed:

-AI 2 CD Academy Promo

-Yes, Giorgio

The others (some were easy, some were hard, some I could still find in an older CD store if I felt like looking) are all on the rare side (now at least), but at least I own each of them in pressed form.

To me, the pressed boots don't mean much (although I have several), but the two legits that I need are AI and Yes, Giorgio... but the CD-Rs will hold me for now.

Someday I'll have them... someday... sigh....

Odd factoid about The Reivers: Mine came with a sticke that says something like "...John Barry's Classic Score" on it! I later saw in stores the stickers were changed to say something like "...John Williams' Classic Score".

Oh... I don't have the limited Varese Club Reivers CD... but since it's the same as the Columbia/Legacy/Sony one, it's not a big deal to me, although I'd like it. :music:

Odd factoid about The Reivers: Mine came with a sticke that says something like "...John Barry's Classic Score" on it! I later saw in stores the stickers were changed to say something like "...John Williams' Classic Score".

Oh... I don't have the limited Varese Club Reivers CD... but since it's the same as the Columbia/Legacy/Sony one, it's not a big deal to me, although I'd like it. :)

The Varese Release was suposed to have a better sound...

Angela's Ashes without dialogue isn't rare, it's the regular European release, and at least I haven't heard of it going out of print or something. I also wouldn't call easily available limited releases, like the FSMs and VCs, rare. They may only be found at a few stores, but if you want them, you can easily order them from the original source, so no problem finding them.

I wouldn't pay a lot for bootlegs, I mean, I can just as well just copy them. Temple of Doom i won't pay a lot for until it gets an expanded re-release (I still think this is bound to happen). Most of the others I already have, some of them only as CDRs, but of those I haven't been that excited yet - might get them if they get a remastered/expanded re-release, but no hurry.

Marian - who'd pay more money for other CDs than any of these. :)

I have all of these excapt "Spacecamp" and "Witches" (but I do have CDRs of them) but what I'd really pay to have is "Daddy-O" JWs very first feature film score from 1959!

Odd factoid about The Reivers: Mine came with a sticke that says something like "...John Barry's Classic Score" on it!

LOL, mine too! I bought this Barry score :) five months ago.

My mother found The Witches of Eastwick (very good condition) in a second hand shop in Boston for ...four (4) dollars. That's right! Some people don't know and don't care.

Although I'm a Williams fan I don't always buy everything. I didn't buy Temple of Doom because I disliked the movie. I purchased ROTJ years later because... well, same reason. Same story with The Patriot and HP films. I really believe JW writes better music if the film is better. (there are exceptions, of course)

OTOH, I bought Spacecamp (import) when it was in the store, while, back then, I've never heard of the movie before. Maybe it was because of the import sticker, I don't know. It seemed important somehow.

----------------

Alex Cremers

My mother found The Witches of Eastwick (very good condition) in a second hand shop in Boston for ...four (4) dollars. That's right! Some people don't know and don't care.

I'm waiting for something like that to happen to me, to find a gem like 'Witches' for sale at a minimum price. I am always going in used record stores and looking in the soundtrack section. I look mainly for 'Witches' and 'Spacecamp' because I don't have those two. But I also keep an eye out for other rare scores (like 'Accidental Tourist' which I DO have) to sell on ebay or trade for something else.

I really believe JW writes better music if the film is better. (there are exceptions, of course)

I don't believe this is true. I've learned that there are many a score that are greater than the film they accompany and composers seek all kinds of inspiration to write music, not just the film itself. Take 'The Patriot', for example. Being a resident of Boston, Williams could have used any Revolutionary War landmark to conjure up the spirit of the film. Or, he could have tapped into his own personal tragedy (the death of his wife) to write music for the death scenes. All I'm saying is, anything is possible, and that I'd be surprised if film composers (the good ones, that is) stick only to whats in the film when it comes to writing scores.

BTW I have 'Daddy O' on tape. I saw it was on TV, and I try to see every JW movie I can. Stupid, stupid movie. and the score is ghastful 50's beach movie score, very fittingly. You haven't missed anything.

I have the Williams soundtracks that I really, really ever wanted as original CD's, like The Temple of Doom, the only one that is missing is the AI Promo. But owning that as an original version, that is for another lifetime! :)

Greetings!

BTW I have 'Daddy O' on tape. I saw it was on TV, and I try to see every JW movie I can. Stupid, stupid movie. and the score is ghastful 50's beach movie score, very fittingly. You haven't missed anything.

I've heard its horrible, and don't doubt it. In fact, MST3K did this movie in an episode (never saw it though). Its still JWs first film and, being a completist, I'd love to have this one!

Oh... I don't have the limited Varese Club Reivers CD... but since it's the same as the Columbia/Legacy/Sony one, it's not a big deal to me, although I'd like it. :music:

The Varese Release was suposed to have a better sound...

But does it? :P

Maybe I'll want a CDR of it...

She went home for a Thai holiday. Although I chatted with her earlier today.

Oh, by the way, MST3K means "Mystery Science Theatre 3000". I had heard reports of them obliterating some oldies with Williams scores, but I never personally saw them. A friend of mine said that they even took a pot-shot at Williams, saying all of his music sounds the same.

Notice that people who are into rock/pop/rap/country/ect and don't follow symphonic or orchestral music ALWAYS say that "it all sounds the same", meanwhile the formulas in their rock/pop music is far more familiar? Hmmm...

By the way... Tips for finding older OOP scores:

-Store that was in business when the CD was STILL IN PRINT

-Used CD stores

-Extremely large and well-stocked CD stores

OH... AND specialty stores... BUT... expect to pay ALOT more for them that way. :music:

Before I came online and met other Williams fans (with CD-recorders) in July 2000, I bought all of my CDs MOSTLY in CD stores. I nailed everything in-print, and some OOP.

And when I got everything I could get in stores, I had to search out the rarer ones (mostly talking WAYYYYY OOP and"bootlegs" here), I found via mail-order through specialty stores. I even paid alot ($35-45 a CD) for pressed bootlegs, thinking that they were rare promos... which would have been a good investment! D'OH!