Anime vs American Cartoons

hitman20

When it comes to overall quality, and better scores Anime beats out American cartoons. But you have to admit, there are some weird ass Anime cartoons (FLCL?) but there are also some of the creative cartoons out there (Yu Yu Hashusko, Gundam, Trigun, Vampire Hunter D) With a American exceptions (Samurai Jack, Family Guy, Simpsons) the winner is clearly Anime.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly is popular at the books stores, but it looks like crap to me.

We now have hundreds of titles at B&N. It attracts a generally unique but enthusiastic following.

I prefer more realistic cartooning.

I don't think anime should compete with american cartoons when the very essence of anime is derived from the western culture. Considering that all the characters DO NOT look asian anime can be perceived as the japanese perception on western life. I have yet to see an asian with natural, red or blonde hair or have wide blue eyes. Plus anime has nothing on disney, at all. Disney uses state of the art animation that will change the form of cartoons for years. It doesn't mean that anime isn't good it just means that it's not better. And anime can be very repetive, they all ways have the same roster of characters.

1) The reluctant hero.

2) the suave villian with small eyes, a beautiful face who ALWAYS wears a snear/smirk/evil smile.

3) A hot head character who shoots first thinks later, either an eager child or an adult who acts like a child.

But honestly, I dont hate on Disney, they have had a long history and all, but to me, Disney is very cliche nowadays. They recycle a lot of the same ideas around, and they beat you over the head with it. Now I'm only referring to Cartoons, so as far as Shrek and Pixar (Computer Animation), more specifically, then I like where thats going. Thats more of the future than any type of Animation. But the reason I like Anime, and I say it's better it due to the fact that, Anime comes in so many forms, and is truly innovatove in the way they tell their stories. And isn't Samurai Jack the American percection of Japanese life? I mean if you wanna look at it like that.

I never cared for anime. I HATE how their eyes are always kinda jittering and glistening and that single tear just hangs there. Or the way their mouths flap and the multitude of "AHHHHH!"s.

I like good anime, but I haven't seen much. Like Kevin, I can't stand it when they go into their overacting clichee of stock mimics. Also (judging from what's on TV, which admittedly might not reflect the real situation very well) there seems to be way too much anime that's just lame and cheap....or Japanese culture is so different from ours that they simply have no problems with the most stupid and absurd plots (in which case they might say the same about plots in "our" movies).

Marian - who liked Ghost in the Shell a lot.

or the stupid looking hair they draw, its too ugly for me. Just plain bad animation.

I'm an artist who taught myself how to draw via:

-Animation (Mostly Transformers & G.I. Joe cartoons from the mid 1980's, which is mostly Japanese Animation written by American writers about Japanese toys... that's an odd combo, huh? LoL!)

-Comic books

-Comic strips (Mainly Calvin & Hobbes by Bill Watterson, I really don't like that many cartoonists and he is my distant favorite.)

To me, my early childhood was with Disney. I like it as far as that it is for kids (although they are made for adults to enjoy too). But as an adult, I prefer Anime... MOST of the time.

I do NOT like anime with the big eyes and far-out storylines. The extent of my love for anime can be seen in 1986's Transformers: The Movie, or 1987's G.I. Joe: The Movie. And several (but not all) of the animated episodes in the same series. I'm not big on the wacky aspects of anime, which I believe Joe is talking about his dislike for (I don't like that too much either).

Disney-style and Anime has it's own style, and each are great in their own respects. I just prefer "realistic" anime the best, and not the cartoony anime.